Rainbow Bridge questions for Merlin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shoshana115, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoshana115

Shoshana115 New Member

For those of you who read "Merlin's introduction" it turns out that his stomach issues turned out not to be a hairball at all. They tested the fluid in his stomach, since they didn't find a blockage, and they're pretty sure it's a tumor somewhere in his abdomen. They don't have the facilities to do an ultrasound (I live in a small town) but even then the vet said from the look of his fluid it's probably not good even if we wanted to choose that course of treatment. Currently Merlin isn't eating (or eating very little) but isn't hiding from me, and shows no other signs of being in pain, which seems to be a good sign. The vet said they can give him meds to help with the fluids and bring his apatite back, but even if that works he'd still only have a few months at best

In no way do I want to see him suffer but I don't know if I'm making the right decision... I feel the most comfortable giving him the meds for a few days, so I can have those days to say goodbye, and helping him over the rainbow bridge sometime next week. What would you do in my situation?

Thankfully my husband and I have discussed things already, because of the diabetes, but it's just kind of a shock that it's come on so quickly.

Shoshana wings_cat

2. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

I'm so sorry to hear your news. I didn't read his introduction, but I understand the position you're in. I think the best thing you can do is manage his pain and appetite, and he'll let you know when he's ready to make that journey over the bridge. I went through this with my Potter years ago, and all I can say is that he'll let you know when he's ready. Many hugs to you both, and cherish the time you have left.

3. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

I went back and found the thread with "Merlin's Introduction":

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8738&p=86499&hilit=Merlin%27s+introduction#p86499

Shoshana, it could be so many different things. Did they do a complete bloodwork up on him? I'm thinking you may need a second opinion....is that at all possible?

Let us know how he's doing with the appetite stimulant. He's got to eat.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Was the drained fluid analyzed by someone knowledgeable? Such an analysis might be very useful. You vet can send off some fluids for analysis.

From you description it appears that the fluid in in the abdominal cavity, this is where the stomach and some other organs are located. Usually there is just minimal fluid there. Fluid collecting in the abdominal cavity is call Ascites.

I myself would use the drugs until his quality of life declines to be unacceptable. When unacceptable is a personal decision.

5. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

6. Shoshana115

Shoshana115 New Member

Thank you all for the information!

The vet gave him a diuretic to lose some of the fluid so he'd be more comfortable and an appetite stimulant to see if he would eat. The diuretic has worked some so he's at least able to lay down comfortably but I have yet to see the appetite stimulant make much of a difference. He'll get up and eat a few crunchies when he wakes from a nap, I think mostly out of habit, but some time later he'll spit one out. Not vomit mind you, it basically just falls out of his mouth. I've been hand feeding him wet food as he won't go near it or the water dish, but I don't want to freak him out either, so we just go with the flow. He's definitely letting me know it's time... he can't jump up on anything, he won't lift his head above level, half the time he won't even respond to his name. He doesn't even meow, it's more like a moan.

I am definitely glad I have this time with him though, to create some special memories. When we brought him home we let him walk through the snow, we've been taking pictures, and tried to get an ink impression of his paw. I didn't realize how hard it would be to try and get the impression! Dawned on me after word to take pictures of it as I would really like to get a tattoo of it on my hip. Since Merlin was little he would try to get my attention in the morning as I was getting ready by getting up on the toilet lid, balance his front paws on my hip and try to bat my hand or arm to get me to pet him.

Thanks again to all of you for your support (and letting me ramble on).
    Shoshana

P.S. I forgot to mention this whole time that Merlin could probably be considered an elderly cat as he is 13 years old.

7. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's a tumor? The look of his fluid? Were any x-rays done? Was the fluid sent out for analysis?

I would have a very difficult time making such a permanent decision without having some type of firm diagnosis. It sounds more like your vet isn't quite sure what's wrong--and that would not be enough information for me.

I also wouldn't consider a 13 year old cat to be elderly. My 19 year old cat is what I would consider to be an old cat.

8. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Though I agree with Deanie about the lack of certainty here, and that there's no call to be euthanizing cats based on vague or no diagnosis, I also want to sympathize.

Cancer in cats is sometimes very difficult and expensive to diagnose accurately, as I found out with Minivan. Sometimes it costs so much to diagnose that you have nothing left over for the relatively inexpensive (and possibly even effective) treatment.

So acting without complete diagnosis may sometimes be the most practical option.

That said, euthanasia is not really on my list of practical options without a diagnosis!

9. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear this troubling diagnosis. Enjoy your remaining time with him, and may God bring you strength, comfort and peace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.