Raised Indy's Dose, Worried

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MissLiner, Dec 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissLiner

MissLiner New Member

(re-posted this in the Prozinc forum, but not sure how to delete?)

Hi all,

I am so happy I found this board! A few years ago my vet told me Indy had diabetes, did a 1-day curve, told me to give him 1 unit once a day, and sent me on my way. My bad for not researching this on my own! Over the past year it became clear that he was not controlled at all. It took me a while to be able to bring him in (I won't bore you with the details, but no $$ and other quite serious life-happenings). When I finally could, we saw a different vet in the practice and she was like "well didn't he tell you x, y, and z?" (he being the other vet, and xyz being everything important you need to know with a diabetic cat). Well no, he didn't.

So I'm doing my best to make up for this horrible lapse in cat parenting. After starting home monitoring, we added a second dose almost immediately. I monitored for about a week, though I missed a couple of days as I was travelling and my husband hasn't learned how yet. We had a couple of blues, but nothing to write home about (edit: or are those blues exactly right and he was at the right dose, I was just expecting too much?).

Just started with 1.5 today on advice of the vet, but now I'm wishing I asked you guys first. His numbers have barely budged all day! I know patience is needed, and I'm not rushing to make any changes, but did I do the right thing or is this too big of a raise?

Thanks,
    Caroline

PS I know I need to do some mid-cycle night tests, working on it!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. MissLiner

MissLiner New Member

Update: his numbers finally started coming down at the end of the cycle! Now I really don't know what to do about the second dose, please help!

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.