Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by H.M. Victor (GA), Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Gave Victor the full dose of 2 units this morning and just did a test at +3 hours and his number is 277, which is the lowest it's been at any point since we started testing. Seeing that really makes me feel even less confident in our vet, who had told us to increase his dosage to 3 units, and then to 4, based only on spot-checks at the clinic, where his number was in the lower-400's twice and once at 510.

With his number being 277 here at home after only 2 units of insulin given, I imagine that if we had blindly followed the vet's instructions to increase his dose, it probably wouldn't have been good, to say the least.

Also, just a question regarding the mid-cycle tests: do they all have to be done over the course of the same day? Or can they be done on separate days?

And with his insulin dose, how do we adjust it based on how much he eats, while also factoring in his glucose number?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You only need to do one a day in the +4 to +8 range. Maybe +4 one day, +5 the next, and so on. If you're out for the day, aim for at least a before bed test. Over time a picture of your kitty's response to insulin builds up.

3. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Okay, that's good to know, thanks. I was a little anxious if it would have to be all in the same day because Victor isn't very tolerant of it yet.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi, Heather. Remember on one of your other posts where I mentioned the sticky post that says that the lowest point in the cycle for your type of insulin can be from 2 to 6 hours after the insulin shot, and for most cats is between 3 and 5 hours after. And, that you can do it at different times in different cycles to start to build up enough data to figure out when he is lowest. You did a +5 yesterday, and a +3 today, so maybe tomorrow get a +4... then next a +6 and so on. Maybe you can get some of your tests during the evening cycle; some cats go a little lower at night than during the day. Once you have an idea of the time range during which he usually goes the lowest, you can focus more of your tests within that time range.

He may need a dose increase, but a little more mid-cycle data is needed before you can know that for sure.

5. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

That's what I was planning on doing :)

Getting tests during the evening cycle would be a bit more difficult because I'd have to do it by myself since my mom would be asleep, but I'm certainly willing to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.