Rapid breathing, recent hypo- Any advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Casey and Zero, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casey and Zero

Casey and Zero New Member

Hi everyone! I just joined the boards today, but I have been coming to the website since 2004 to get info for my 11 yr old diabetic cat, Zero. This is the first time I couldn't find a solution to a problem, so I signed up! :)

Anyways, Zero had a hypo episode on Wednesday night. I don't know what his numbers were because he doesn't let me test him, but all of his symptoms were in line, except he had no seizures. I called the ER and they told me to give him a tablespoon of honey, (which didn't go over well, but we got through it!) and then get him to eat some dry food. He wouldn't eat his dry food, which is very rare for him. but I was able to give him half a container of Pounce treats that we usually give our other kitty who isn't diabetic. Around 4am he finally stopped roaming the apartment sniffing every inch of the floor, calmed down and went to sleep.

The next morning (yesterday) I took him to the vet before food and shot, and his blood sugar was 71. The vet told me to feed him his normal amount, but give him NO INSULIN at all for 24 hours, and then to decrease his shots from 3u to 2u for the next 3 weeks, after which we will do a new Fructosamine test. That sounded a bit severe to me, but I did read on here that hypo episodes can make kitties a little sensitive to insulin, so I'm doing exactly what I was told.

The Dr told us to being him back this morning before food and shot to test his numbers again, and this time it was 351. His Fructosamine test came back at 270, which I understand means he has been borderline hypo for a little while? Anyways, he told us to feed him like normal and start the reduced insulin.

About 2 hours after the vet visit we noticed his breathing was really rapid, shallow. I took him BACK to the vet, who checked his blood sugar again and it came back at 305. He listened to his heart and lungs and said everything sounded normal. He said the breathing might just be because Zero has had a traumatic 48 hours, or that because it is hot outside. (We live in Texas, it's over 100* for the third week) He wants me to observe him over the weekend and bring him back on Monday.

I've been back home with him for 3 hours now, and his breathing hasn't changed. He is NOT gasping for air, and it doesn't sound forced- it's just fast. I want to trust that the Dr is right, but Zero has been diabetic for 6 years, and if I've learned nothing else, I've come to realize that things are rarely "simple to explain" with him. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can NOW, instead of waiting until it's too late. Even if it makes me the crazy paranoid cat lady. lol

Any advice you can give would be appreciated, even if it's to tell me to just chill out! ;-)

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I would take him back to the Vet ask for an xray of his heart and lungs. Ultras sound of his heart would even be better but is expensive. At least call the Vet and tell him the condition has not gotten better. Good luck my prayers follow you.
    jeanne

3. Casey and Zero

I had asked him about xrays when we were there, and he said if Zero hadn't gotten better by Monday then he would definitely do them.

Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid, but I don't see why he wouldn't just do them when I had him there? I'm frustrated because I want to do everything I can, and sitting and waiting doesn't much feel like I'm doing anything.

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

You can insist I suppose. I share your concern. A rapidly breathing kitty is distressful. Cant be good for him. I dont understand your Vet either. Maybe they are swamped??? Not a good reason but???

5. Casey and Zero

I know! I was the only 'Patient" there, but who knows what else was going on. I would hope that he wouldn't put anything ahead of Zero's health, so I'm going to trust him on this, at least overnight. I don't want to force him too much, as I don't want him to blow me off and not take me seriously in the future, but I'm not going to back down either if my gut is telling me something's not right.

I have to go to work in an hour for 6 hours- hubby and I will get home at the same time, so hopefully Zero does alright on his own. May speed home on my lunch break to check on him. He's mainly just being lethargic, and breathing fast. Nothing labored, just faster than I'd prefer. But still, I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

6. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

could be any number of things! one possibility is ketones..could you test his urine for ketones?

also, about the hypo and hometesting, we'd really like to help so that there are no hypos in the future!

Jen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.