Rats!

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by max&emmasmommie, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max&emmasmommie

max&emmasmommie Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the congrats from everyone about Max's relocation to the Falls! It is a miracle, and a double miracle has happened -- Emma is sleeping* through the night! (anti-jinx). Now, to get her potty trained! At the end of October she will be 18 months old. *For those of you who haven't experienced this miracle, sleeping through the night means until 6:30 a.m. Hey, I gotta take what I can get around here! Eight-thirty to 6:30 ain't so bad! Now I have to learn to get to bed at 8:30, and I'll get my requisite 10 hours. Gotta keep dreamin,' right?

I bought a Have-a-Hart trap yesterday in "native wood rat" size. This is going to interesting. These adorable little guys are all over my property! They are known as pack-rats, and they build elaborate structures made of sticks, and anything else they can find, in which to live. They also like shiny things. So, their nests are full of all sorts of stuff including jewelry. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these little things when I catch them. They carry the Hanta Virus, but it's very rare in So Cal. I have to soak their nests in bleach water before I can clean them out. I'm going to take precautions, of course, but I have to figure out a way to control these rats. They climb up on my balcony, across my gutters, and then leap from the house to a tree limb, and back. They have built nests in most of the structures here, and I'm worried they will get into the attic of the house. They have no interest in coming in the house or eating people food as regular rats do thank goodness!

They are so cute:

(See: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...tsUL-SO-TD2QXl1oGAAg&ved=0CEoQ9QEwCQ&dur=3475).

2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I tho't I remembered you said something about posting elsewhere.

Congrats on Emma. Sounds about the same as I had it with my daughter way back then. Of course, after she slept thru the night,
    she still climbed in our bed until 1rst grade. She'd always show up when you were in the deepest sleep and I'd think I need to get up
    and carry her back to her own bed and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Just like getting up to test.... gotta get up...zzzz.

I don't know if we have "pack rats" but the county coop guy had told me to keep our trees trimmed back far enough to keep any mousie/rats
    from being able to jump and move in. Don't let those trees overhang the house. You wanted something else to do, didn't ya? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.