? Ravan's bg dropped 327 pts after slight increase in dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I increased Ravan's Lantus by .25 yesterday.His bg started dropping (Even with food) from 544 till it got to 85 at 7:30 tonight He got hungry & ate about 1/2 can of Fancy Feast I checked 2 hrs later now bg is 148 I'm very concerned to give him his insulin because of the huge drop . Should I skip insulin tonight?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you're doing SLGS (which I think is the better option for you) he's earned a reduction in dose down to 1U

How long has it been since he's eaten anything?

If he hasn't eaten in the past 2 hours, go ahead and test again now before you shoot....if the number is higher than the 148, I think you should go ahead and shoot the 1U and get a +1 and +2 so you can intervene early IF you need to

3. Chris & China (GA)

Just a housekeeping note

It's really confusing for you to start new threads more than once a day and in more than 1 forum. Since you're using Lantus, I'd continue posting here and not in the Main forum, but the decision is up to you where you are most comfortable posting. We really do become quite a family here in the Lantus forum.

Each day, only post once. If something changes and you need to, you can edit your subject line to say what you need to say, but don't start a new thread.

In the Lantus forum we usually all follow a specific way of posting. The subject line includes the date, name of cat and the AMPS number (as the day goes on and you get more tests, you "edit" the subject line to add those test numbers.....Look at how others are posting to see some examples)

If your thread contains a question, you can add the ? prefix to your subject line. People scanning the forum look for 911's and question marks first before answering other threads. Once your question is answered, you can remove the ? so if you have another question later in the day you can use it again.

In the body of your post you ask your questions and report on how Ravan is doing otherwise. Again, reading other people's posts will help you see what kind of things we say......It's also a great way to learn!! Someone else might think of a question you didn't even know you should ask!!...Also, something might be explained in a different way that helps you understand.

There's all kinds of information in this "Making the most of your Lantus ISG Experience" thread

Amanda & Shmee and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. JoyBee&Ravan

Chris he started asking for food at 4:30 today ate a tbls then again at 6:30 < at 9:30 & 10pm! This is the most he's eaten in one day in several weeks!!
    I gave him 1 unit Lantus at 10:40 pm it's an hour 10mins past his regular time I hope that's OK His bg came up to 290 from all the fancy Feast so I felt I better give him the reduced dose.

Now do I need to test every 2 hrs to make sure he doesn't drop like he did today earlier? Do I give his am shot at the regular 9:30 or now wait till 10:30 am ?

5. JoyBee&Ravan

Sorry Chris but I was posting on Lantus Then someone advised me to stay on the main Health Form? Everyone started replying on that one so I stayed there. I'll just stay on this one now. Sorry.

I copied the things you advised me to do on this forum & I'll refer to that when i post.

I thought I needed to add a new thread to get someones attention when I have a question that needs an answer right away?

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Here's Chris' suggestion (in bold type):
    I don't see where anyone told you to stay on the Health forum, but maybe I missed it. It's fine to stay in the Lantus and Levemir Insulin Support Group (where you are now). Every day you'll want to start one thread. That single thread is where you'll want to post all your questions.

When you have time, please read this post: "Making the most of your Lantus ISG Experience". It explains a lot about posting in this forum. If you have questions, just ask! We'll try to get whatever answers you need.

7. JoyBee&Ravan

OK, I'll test tonight at +1 & +2 if he starts dropping, How frequently should I test during the night?

At what number do I start getting concerned?

8. Chris & China (GA)

You test at +1 and +2 so you can see IF you need to intervene and feed something early to keep him from dropping.

That's the whole reason for testing....to PREVENT problems from ever happening in the first place! As long as you have high carb food (or Karo/honey/syrup) in the house, YOU are pretty much in control of Ravan's blood glucose.

9. Chris & China (GA)

If you shot at 10:40pm tonight, you'd want to wait to shoot until at least 10:25am tomorrow morning....then you could shoot at 10:10pm tomorrow night....then 9:55am/9:40pm, etc.

You work your way back to your chosen schedule by adjusting 15 minutes per cycle until you're where you want to be again

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  10. JoyBee&Ravan

A lot of the things you tell me are different from info I got on a blood sugar Guidelines/diabetes in Pets. That info was before I got on to Felinediabetes. I think thats why I get confused sometimes. The article I read said to give Karo or honey & GET to the Emergency Clinic it said the honey is only temporary till you can get them to the clinic.

Now you're telling me I can handle it at home? Would I keep giving honey all night,if He refused to eat?

I'm so tired now I'm worried about staying up tonight!

I'll be doing what you guys advise from now on . It's too confusing anyother way. THanks.

11. Chris & China (GA)

There is a time and a place for ER vets, but in the almost 5 years I've been here, I've never seen anyone have to take their cat into a vet for low blood glucose as long as they were testing and had all the supplies and had started at a reasonable dose and increased slowly.

That's why we test!!

There have been a few times where someone accidentally overdosed their cat (like giving 20U instead of 2U) that required vet care, but those are exceptions.

12. JoyBee&Ravan

11:30pm bg 343 (up 258 pts in 4 hrs?)
    1:30am bg 373
    4:30am bg 395 ( what's in the FancyFeast? )Ravan has NEVER eaten any food like this! He woke me up crying for food both times, I tried a few different Foods but he only ate Fancy Feast? Must be an additive that makes cats like it so much? 6 hrs since shot & bg still going up?

9:30am bg389 Still wants the fancy Feast!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Magic Johnson likes this.
  13. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

FYI Lantus advisors: all these issues of testing, fending off hypo numbers, studying the SLGS guidelines and more were discussed in detail on the main health forum along with the recommendation to post here. :)

14. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Hi Joy just checking in here to see how you’re doing... my cat loves fancy feast too! It’s not a bad thing! Glad Ravan likes it so much! It’s really good he’s hungry and eating all very good signs!!!!

15. JoyBee&Ravan

Yes Kris, All that stuff was discussed but my foggy brain doesn't quite remember what I did an hour ago let alone all the things we discussed & that I read! I don't know how old most of the people are talking to me but Someday maybe you will understand what I'm talking about. ( then again I guess it's just me!)
    Ravan seems better today(so far) He's talking to me Which he hasn't done for a while & of course he's eating Fancy Feast. (I still think they add something like kitty crack to that stuff)

Does this mean you want me to read & look up everything on my own? Am I taking up too much time that other people may need? I still haven't figured out if I'm doing things all wrong here?

Don't know how to remove the question mark that I added last night? I will take some time to read the articles you mentioned. I'll probably need to reread everything several times till I remember it all!

I just added another test result from 9:30 am to the post from this morning. Is that right? Or should I just post again when I do tests? I'm reading the article you sent me & it says "Each day, post only once........you can edit your subject........don't start a new thread." I don't think I'm doing it correctly?
    Do I keep adding stuff to the original Post from this morning or is it Ok to write new stuff in another post like I'm doing now? (maybe I'm confusing Thread & Post?) I'll get the hang of all this .I promise!

In this post I'm asking you a question . Should I add a question mark? So Much to remember!!

16. JoyBee&Ravan

Hi Magic, Ravan is in a upturn right now. I'm so glad! He's still eating (Only Fancy Feast! They really must put something in it!) and he's not sleeping as much .More alert & talking to me! Right now the roller Coaster is heading up. I'm Happy! I just hope it's a really long UP!

I'm going to give him his shot I think 1 unit . Do you think it's OK not to go back to 1.25?

17. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Joy, you can post on the main forum, I think why someone might have said the lantus forum is that they are real familiar with lantus, if it’s to much for you, don’t stress about it, it’s OK to post on the main forum

allison and Bubbles likes this.
  18. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I think it’s totally in your control and you need to trust your gut on some things. I don’t know the insulin you’re using as I was using Prozinc- that being said my opinion (and we know what that’s worth LOL) is if you change your dose stick with it for a few days like 3 at least probably should be longer than that - and more knowledgeable people will answer much better. This way you are not bouncing around with various dosages and chasing numbers that can’t keep up. THAT BEING SAID if you ever get too low of a number and are scared to shoot EITHER WAY, don’t shoot! Just my two cents others can answer better :) I’m still pretty new

19. JoyBee&Ravan

Hi Bellasmom, Maybe I'm misunderstanding it. Did you read the reply I got last night fom Jill & Alex? It felt I was being reprimanded. I thought she meant I should only Post on one forum because it's too confusing if I go to both?

Are you home from work?

20. Bellasmom

No I’m at work, let me look for post

21. JoyBee&Ravan

Thanks Magic, Yesterday when Ravan's bg dropped from 544 to 85 I was totally freaked out! I gave 1 unit this last time ( I guess I did the wrong thing again?) Can I continue with 1 unit for a few days & if he goes up more or doesn't start going down I could increase it very gradually?

Oh! Here I go again asking a question. I think they want me to start reading about all this more so I don't bother everyone so much? It's so much to take in, and remember!

22. Bellasmom

I think they were meaning that most people who are on lantus post here and they have a way they would like it posted, keeping the previous day and today together

23. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I think you did fine CLEARLY Ravan is fine with what you did! That means he could handle it and you did good ;)

No worries READ and ask questions... it’s all good. You know there is SO MUCH to absorb...do you have a printer? You might develop a nice binder for RAVAN with tabs for important things you reference regularly.

OK I looked at your spreadsheet- he looks a little high - HOWEVER it’s more important that he’s eating well and feeling good and getting insulin to boot!! YOU ARE DOING REALLY WELL!! Therefore because of that paragraph above I would stick with the 1 unit UNTIL you yourself get comfortable with the idea of raising it a tad - low and slow or whatever it is called here would be good - your comfort level with what you are doing with RAVAN is key to RAVAN’s success - AND that is the most important thing right? :)

Bellasmom likes this.
  24. Kris & Teasel

I'm no spring chicken myself @JoyBee. ;) Closer to your age than you might think.

25. JoyBee&Ravan

Thank you Magic I feel better about my decision I was concerned I did the wrong thing!

26. JoyBee&Ravan

Hi Kris, Ok, I 'm just a big cry baby! My son told me once ,You're a tuff old bird mom! HA! Little does he know this old bird is scared to death a lot of times! "One day at a Time" My new Motto!

Thanks guys for all your help & encouraging words!

27. Kris & Teasel

Deep, calming breaths. :)

Amanda & Shmee and Magic Johnson like this.
  28. JoyBee&Ravan

Kris, I've been doing Yoga over 15 years now & meditating for over 20 years! You'd never know it by the way I act when my babies are sick! I really did used to be a lot stronger when I was young.
    Since Ravan & Peggy Sue got sick I rarely get to Yoga. I'm very afraid I won't be here if he needs me! I can feel it,not doing Yoga! Everything is hurting Even My Brain!
    (oops, I guess I shouldn't talk about stuff other than Lantus Right? Or is it OK?

Amanda & Shmee and Sylvie like this.
  29. JoyBee&Ravan

Hi Sylvie. Thanks!

30. JoyBee&Ravan

Ravan's bg 12:30 344 Still high but came down a little & he's still gobbling Fancy feast every few hours! I'm relieved it's not dropping fast or going up right now!

I'll take a day of Happiness or even a few hours! ( it's VERY GOOD to get off the Roller Coaster even if it's only for a little while!)

Oh NO! My Peggy Sue is eating Fancy Feast too! I'm worried I'll get back from the store & find them all rolling on the floor with all the cans of Fancy Feast from the pantry.

Trying to desperately open them, With a"Glazed" look in their eyes! Kitty Re-hab is a possibility! Darn if it's not one thing it another!

Kris & Teasel and Magic Johnson like this.
  31. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

So cute!!! They love FF it’s a winner! I had a kitty rescue center tell me they have kitties go into remission on FF classics... I had donated all my cases of UR food to them - told them why...and she told me that. I figure she would know! I was getting ready to order Glycobalance and changed my mind and ordered FF!

32. JoyBee&Ravan

Once again I can't get out of the house. I just read that Pancreatitis affects only 2% of cats. The only treatment is Fluid, Food & pain relief. Pain is caused by inflammation. The fPLi test measures Lipase, a digestive enzyme . I've been giving both my cats subQ fluids & food
    I add a pinch of Turmeric & some CBD Oil ( for inflammation) to the baby food i give them in the evening. Maybe it's starting to finally work? Peggy Sue seems better & she doesn't have Diabetes! Ravan is better today so maybe a combination of all this is Helping?

Magic I'm really serious. What could be in Fancy Feast that cats love it so much? I've tried nearly every other cat food & a vast variety of Raw meat ( Rabbit & buffalo) None of my cats were very interested. Now they are meowing for Fancy Feast! Something's not right about that?

If I had money I'd have a Lab analyze a can to see what the heck is really in there!

P.S. I'm glad they're eating I'm off to the store to buy more It's on SALE!

33. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Which flavors are you feeding them? Fish? It could be the fish they like... :)

34. JoyBee&Ravan

Classic Chicken & the Fish. I believe too much fish is NOT good (Not for us either) fish for cats is not fit for human consumption. It' sits on the dock too long & gets sold for animals!

And our oceans are getting so polluted! I've rarely ever given them fish. Maybe just a small piece of cooked Salmon. Never Raw fish!

They gobble up the Fancy Feast Chicken too.

Oh no I just read the label It not only contains fish it has artificial flavor & color added & meat by products!! To me this is Garbage! Too much fish! Every day!

They put fish in everything for cats. And what chemicals are in the artificial flavor & coloring?

This is so sad that after all these yrs of feeding fresh raw meat ( a natural food for a cat) my kittes are now eating such junk!

When they get better I'll need to wean them off this stuff! But as long as needed I guess I'm stuck feeding Fancy Feast. It really makes me upset thinking of the garbage they are eating!!

35. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

You can mix it up and try others that are low carb- Tiki cat is low carb - do you have the food lists?

36. JoyBee&Ravan

Thanks Magic, I have just about every cat food from the food list Including Tiki.

The problem is none of my cats wanted any of it. That's why I got desperate & bought Fancy Feast! Maybe it's the artificial flavoring? But whatever it is they are now all eating!

They need the calories. Ravan was losing weight & Peggy Sue is a tiny thing to begin with.

I'll keep giving them what they'll eat till I can gradually get them back to the raw meat or a least a better canned food.

Thanks for the suggestions!

37. Kris & Teasel

I think it's more common than that in diabetics.

38. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I keep reading that...

I’m trying to figure out: is it the pancreatitis before the diabetes or the pancreatitis AFTER the diabetes

Does one beget the other? Unknown???

39. Kris & Teasel

Possibly both. Nothing about FD is simple ... :confused:

Amanda & Shmee and Magic Johnson like this.
  40. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Joy;

I've read most of the post here and just wanted to tell you "YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THIS"........It's overwhelming for all newbies who find out their loved ones are given the DX and now in minutes have to be a Doctro, Therapist, Psychologist, and Caregiver to our pets. Yes, confusing, stressful, frustrating and everything else you can imagine..........HOWEVER: everyone here who gives you advise is giving it to you for your CATS best interest, not yours and are trying to help you understand what the process, procedure and ways to get you on track with the insuling.

We've all been there, myself included and this is the BEST place for you to be. Do YOU have to read up on all this - YBYA (you bet your ass) if you want the best care for your cat. I've read each and every page of the TR on here at least 25 times when Davidson was DX'd, and with the help from everyone here who can help, Davidson went into remission in 3 months. Now, here I am again 4 yrs later because of a stupid tooth infection and Davidson is back on insulin.

Yes - you have to test, the more the better and if you look at my SS I have tested 16 times in a day when needed, but mostly 8-10 while in his insulin days. Now, I am back testing 12-14 times a day all hours of the night and not getting much sleep. Hmmm, sleep or looking after Davidson and there is no question Davidson wins.

Nobody has attitude here, just trying to make you understand and refine your SS or posts so they can zero in on it right away and help you............we are all cyber friends here and have only one thing in mind and that is to make sure ALL our KITTIES get better.

FYI, vets are not aware of how our kitties live each day with insulin, they know how to prescribe drugs, diagnose the diseases and operate.........but here you are dealing with people who live every day with diabetes and know first hand how to manage it, or at least provide information for all of us to make choices.

We all know it is very complicated at first, but you will get there soon enough. I know I did and I found it so overwhelming being Dyslexic and ADHD - so if I can do it, so can you.

Grab a large tea and read it all over and over and over again.

Shawna

41. Kris & Teasel

Great post, Shawna! :smuggrin:

42. JoyBee&Ravan

Hi Shawna,Thank you for more info! I will read everything when i get better organized.

It's been 18 yrs since I had a job! Once I get in the grove I'll be OK.I'm 100% in this to help my cat the best way I can. I agree with you about sleep or looking after kitty,but some of us have problems & cannot function as well if we don't get some sleep.

When I'm over tired for several days I get brain fog & very emotional. I cannot afford to make any mistakes in caring for Ravan. I have in the past with other cats & will live forever with guilt over my mistake.

I am trying real hard & I think I'm doing the best i can right now.

Thanks again for the advice!

43. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Yes.....you need to read but not because we want you to stop asking questions :) We are always happy to answer questions but it is incumbent upon the caregiver to learn about FD, to learn their cat’s patterns, to understand the action of the insulin they are using, and to be able to apply what they know. That all takes time and it’s a steep learning curve but we are here to help you.

Just as in anything, the teacher teaches so the student can learn, grow, and blossom to the point where they have the knowledge to answer their own questions and to, perhaps, become the teacher :).

We do like for you to post in one forum when it comes to insulin and dose related questions. If you post here and in Main Health, it’s hard for us to keep track of what someone else perhaps told you. If you have some other kind of question to ask, you can post on Main Health or the General Health forum where all questions regarding any health issues can be posed.

Welcome to Lantus and Levemir Land!

44. JoyBee&Ravan

Magic & Kris, I looked over Ravan's & Peggy Sue's blood work from last summer (before Ravan was diagnosed with Diabetes) they both had elevated Lipase! not real high,but the Vet did make a note, "possible Pancreatitis"
    So the lipase was elevated before Ravan was diagnosed with Diabetes. Ravan developed Diabetes but Peggy Sue didn't.?

As night comes everyone is looking a bit sick!I just gave both of them Ringers & a syringe of vitamins & CBD Oil .No one is interested in food right now,but they ate quite a bit during the day.

I'll check Ravan's bg at 9:30 & give him 1 unit of Lantus at around 10:30 . Gradually I'll switch to (9:30 Which works better for me.)

Does all that sound OK?

I spoke too soon Ravan is asking for food! Here he goes with the Fancy Feast! ( I am so glad he's eating again)

45. JoyBee&Ravan

Thank you Marje & Gracie ( Little Queen!) I'm always open to any information anyone offers!

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  46. Kris & Teasel

Sounds good.

47. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I love it Joy! :)

48. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

And sounds good to me !

49. Marje and Gracie

Elevated lipase in cats is insignificant. The diagnostics for pancreatitis include the snapfPL or specfPL blood tests and/or ultrasound. Anything else is speculative. The occurrence of pancreatitis in cats is thought to be relatively high...and certainly higher than 2%. Quite often, if kitty just doesn’t “seem right” and is off their food, it would not be unlikely for it to be mild pancreatitis.

Don’t know if you’ve seen the Primer on Pancreatitis.

50. JoyBee&Ravan

Thank you,
    Good to know! I'll check out the Primer On Pancreatitis.

51. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I have not seen the primer either so wanted to say thanks to you and JoyBee for sharing :)

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  52. Marje and Gracie

You’re welcome!!

53. JoyBee&Ravan

Ravan's still eating.. We're taking a break!

54. allison and Bubbles

allison and Bubbles Member

55. allison and Bubbles

hi Magic..I have been told that pancreasttic issues can definitely lead to diabetes...same with heart disease...and I have researched this my self...

56. allison and Bubbles

Hi Joy...so happy you get a moments rest...have you tried the meditation at home so you dont have to leave Raven and Penny ?Maybe some meditation dvds or things online if you have internet will help to reduce your stress level...what you are going through is very stressful...take some time out to really really relax....you have done a fantastic job...and dont apologize if you think you may be asking too many questions or not understanding the way the the forum worked...i think when you were feeling reprimanded it wasnt really that at all (from kris either )...its just noone wants to miss your very valuable info if say theu are on the main forum and missing out on brand new info from the lantus forum...everyone here has your best interests at heart and noone is to remprimand you for ANYTHING. .quite the opposite ...they are here to commend you and encourage you....well done with Raven...glad he likes the FF...I keep reading that many cats really love this food and if you can stabilize her amt of food intake you might find her bg will also stabilize...at the expense of sum food colouring and other ingredients that are not perfect...i think it would be your best bet to stick with FF at least for now ...to give you some needed rest...what a roller coaster you have been on!!

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  57. JoyBee&Ravan

Hi Allison You are so kind to encourage me . I just got up & tested Ravan's bg He's doing better! bg 284 Better than when it was 500! I'm finally trying to get some sleep so I'm going back to bed. We'll talk later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.