Ravenous kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Terri Caiazzo, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

Prior to diagnosis with diabetes, my sweet Xena was ravenous. She could not eat enough. The vet said it was because her body was not getting the nutrients it needed in the diabetic state. She has been in remission since mid-September; however, she is still starving. She would eat non-stop if I let her. She doesn't eat fast, but she does lick her bowl clean.

Blood glucose was checked on Saturday which hovered around 100mg/dL. Her thyroid is fine (tested by vet). I don't know what to do about her hunger. It just doesn't seem right. She woke me up at 1:15 AM because I tried to cut back her food. She just stares at her empty bowl, and it breaks my heart. I bought one of those puzzle bowls to try (haven't tried it yet) to see if it might satiate her if she slowed down. On Sunday, I switched from m/d wet food to Fancy Feast pate which she enjoys. The suggested amount to feed is one can per 3.5 pounds of cat so she would be eating around 4.5 cans a day. I don't know if this will help. She is very overweight at 17 pounds (small frame).

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The rule of thumb is 20 calories per pound of ideal weight. You said she's overweight. What is her ideal weight? If it's 13 lbs that would be 260 calories which is about 3 cans of ff. Try a can am, 1/2 can mid day, a can at dinner, and half can just before bed.

3. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

I would love for her to get to 13 pounds. Great feeding suggestion which I will try. Thank you!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I have a17 lb chubby girl too. (Although she is a large framed cat she could stand to lose 3-4 lbs) She does only eat about 2.5-3 cans but she has severe arthritis so isn't active. If she moved more she could lose weight easier.

5. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

Xena will walk on a leash in the backyard, but it's not enough to do much for her weight. I tried to play with her, but she's not interested for long. I think that she has arthritis in her rear right leg because of the way she walks. That's why I give her omega three oils. She is quite happy to chill out on the couch next to me like now!

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.