Re: 4/4 Basil AMBG 127 PMBG 136 +3=92

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

We're nipping in with another temporary condo for Basil.

He's looking great--happy, perky, no observable after-effects of Wednesday's dental. He's eating well, playing and sleeping in the sun. Basil life seems to be good.

I am a little concerned at this morning's 127. This was four hours after a snack (1/4 can FF). He had two extractions and the vet said there were "active infections" in those teeth, thus the Clavamox. Is this 127 a warning sign? Does Clavamox raise BG? Should we be monitoring more closely at this point? I thought that his numbers would be dropping now.

Have a great day, everybody. Leaving soon but we'll be back late this afternoon. A sitter will come to feed everyone at "+8" and we'll be home by their dinnertime.

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 4/4 Basil AMBG 127 Clavamox? Eyes Pls?

I'm sure more experienced people will be by with thoughts on this...it's not a super high number though. Might be just the infection ...
    are you giving Basil probiotics too? something like Fortiflora for replenishing the good bacteria in his system?

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

As far as I know, Clavamox does not raise BG. I'm presuming this is in pill form? Maybe if it is a liquid there might be some sugar in it. You can always Google it for ingredients. The presence of an infection might raise BG. Just keep a watchful eye.

This could also be a reading that reflects meter variance since it is so close to a normal BG level. Remember, too that morning BG levels can run a little bit higher. I'd just check in a few hours/tonight and see how Basil is doing.

4. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Thanks, guys. This is a pill. And the vet said he felt probiotics were not necessary unless a problem developed. (I did ask!)

Is yogurt (plain, active cultures) useful for that?

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Yogurt is fine. FortiFlora is available through Amazon or PetFoodDirect if you prefer that. I also use a product called Renew Ultra that is available at Whole Foods in the refrigerated supplement section.

6. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Just stopping in to offer support for Basil and to wish you a Happy Easter :mrgreen:

7. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Hi Lydia! In case no one mentioned it... don't feed the antibiotic and the pro-biotic at the same time. Try to separate them by two hours so the yogurt or Fortiflora won't interfere with the antibiotic action.

Make sense? Anti + pro = 0 action :shock: (well maybe not zero action... but not good action.)

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

you've already received some excellent advice. just stopping by to say hi and to reassure you. this is one number and one number only. nothing to worry about unless you start seeing a trend towards higher numbers.
    have a great day! :D

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Happy Sunday, Lydia! The number isn't that bad, hopefully it has already come down by now. Just test a little more often when things are wonky, so if something does change you can catch it early.

10. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that Scrabble is on clavamox right now in the liquid form. He had a dental and surgery to remove an absess on Thursday and has been on it since then. His numbers have been great! Haven't noticed anything weird with his numbers, maybe it is from the actual infection that it is elavated a bit? Not sure but just wanted to let you know that we are on it too!

11. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Re: 4/4 Basil AMBG 127 PMBG 136 Advice

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the advice. This number has me even more nervous.

I'm not 100% sure exactlyhow long it was since he last ate since the pet sitter fed him, but I THINK it was on the order of 3 hrs.

The only unusual thing going on is that we have his cat door to the yard closed because the vet trimmed his claws and we wanted to give them a week or so to grow out before letting him out. Could that be causing him stress? There is no sign of vomit in the house, but he does have access to a fenced-in part of the yard and it would be VERY hard keeping him from going out there.

Should I try taking his temp? When would I begin to thnk about insulin again?

Thanks!

Lydia

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I would be inclined to give this another day or so of monitoring. It may take at least 48 hours for the Clavamox to really kick in and it may be that Basil is just having an off day.

13. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

i'm with cheryl. continue monitoring over the next day or two.
    did basil have x-rays done post dental to make sure they got everything out? if he didn't, you might want to have them done.

14. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lydia,

I hope you see that Basil's #'s will back down. The way I look at it there is nothing to get nervous about. Because you test, you are in control of his well being. You will be able to catch it fast if you start to see his #'s climbing. If he has to go back on insulin for awhile its all good, because he won't endure the symtoms of diabetes. All because you are such a caring mama bean. Basil is lucky to have you looking after him.

Have a good night.

jan and sara

15. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hi Lydia--Moonie was on Clavamox lots & it usually brought her numbers doown after a few days--But taste the liquid--It's Banana--surely a cat's favorite :lol: :lol: :lol: cat(2)_steam
    Not to worry, I'm sure it is just the infection running it's course-If not maybe you should follow Jill;'s advice with Xrays--
    A dental releases all sorts of bacteria from the bad teeth, into the system & Clavamox, kills it off--Let's see another few days--
    HUGS--Dont worry!! It will be OK!!

16. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Well, he did come down. Not as low as he could be, but we appreciate all progress.

Let's see--the Clavamox is in pill form, so I can't taste the banana. Plus, I'm allergic to penicillin, so I probably shouldn't try that anyway. :D :D :D

I don't think we had any x-rays done. I'm not sure, but I'll check. Apparently, the extractions were very simple according to the vet. We will keep a close eye on things for the next couple of days. It is going to be crazy around here since we have relatives visiting from the Netherlands. But we'll work this out.

Thank you again, everybody. Your encouragement is MOST appreciated.

I hope it will be okay if we come back and have condos for a day or three.

17. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lydia
    I cannot say anything about meds, just wanted to send hugs to you and Basil
    so that those numbers stay down and that he is still doing well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.