RE: NEWBIE KITS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anonymous, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I should say I don't want to discourage donations of diabetic items as I don't know how quikly I'll go thru these things I have now...so if your one of those peeps who's already offered rice socks or anything eles I will keep a note book of your offer and contact you.
    That goes for anyone eles who wants to donate, just pm me.
    What we could use now are strips for one touch ultra and accu'check aviva. or actually any strips you want to send.

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I have a couple dozen rice socks ready to go....just let me know.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

It would be nice to get people into the Walmart meters--Relion. They are reliable, and strips are cheap and usually always available.

I've seen issues with newbies getting the meters with the pricey strips, and then getting sticker shock, even with buying on eBay.

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

V- I never tried the Relion until it came up with Bean and I love it. For so many years I bought off of ebay or found specials, but now it's so simple and so much cheaper. It's also very close to my AccuCheck and OTU so I trust it.

I know you weren't looking for a product review, but thought I'd share :lol:

5. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

the problem with that is people don't go out and buy meters to donate to the kits and you'll never get an offer for a free Relion. the meters we have used for the newbie kits are used because people get them for free via coupons or online offers

i suppose you could include a note that says "here's a meter to get you started. there are more economical meters out there if needed. you can find them at .............". ?????

personally though you can get name brand strips online for close to the same price as you pay for relion strips so as long as people are told about online sites to use, they should be fine

6. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Getting strips cheaper...

I always bought my AccuChek Comfort Curve strips through Hocks.com

I bought 3 vials of strips at a time...special packaging. Also bought a few
    other supplies. That would get enough $ for free shipping.

That way, strips were about half the drug-store price.

If it could be managed...I think a few 'standard' meters/strips would be
    desirable. But with donated meters, I think the "this is to get you started"....and
    maybe info about how to get cheaper strips. Also info about the Reli-On.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

right now just trying to get strips for the meters i currently have and the one's i have no strips for are one touch ultra mini and accu-check aviva. meters but no strips.
    but of course will take anything as i have a few odd and end meters ...true track, etc. and you never know what might come in.
    i have several thousand (no, kidding) contours meters and a couple dozen 10 vial strips for them.

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have a slightly used ReliOn with some strips and a new-in-box OneTouch. I can send some extra strips for the OneTouch. Do you want me to ship them to you or if you tell me, I can ship them directly to a newbie.

9. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

So great of you, Lori, to take this on.

Was just wondering what would happen if the OTU or the Aviva customer service people were contacted and asked for free samples to support the cause? Explain what you are trying to do and see what they say. Not sure if it would work, but I can imagine it would be a pretty interesting conversation.

Is there a similar list like fdmb for diabetic people? I wonder if diabetic people with good health plans often have extra strips they would be willing to donate (with the added incentive of a tax deduction.)

10. cjleo

cjleo Member

Donna,

It was a pretty interesting conversation with AccuChek. I was trying to get some 10 strip samples with the codes. They finally sent me 3 sets which I sent to Cindy.

I'll have to see if I have enough extra codes to send Lori some strips for the AccuChek Aviva.

Claudia

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks everyone for jumping in.
    Larry, I'll write down you're name as a contact for someone to get a meter and strips from. especially if they live in your area so could you either pm me that or let me know here. that will save on just more $ spent on shipping.

Donna, great idea. would you like to try it? or should I? Life seems so much busier with this new project (plus today being the first nice warm sunny day in nearly 2 months---had to go out and enjoy it)

Claudia, that's terrific that you got that far....Cindy must have sent those cause I don't believe I have any available right now. anything you can send by means of that meter makes that kit ready to go!

Would somebody start a round of applause post for Cindy....sheesh, she had aquired so much stuff and has done so much good. I don't know how long she was at it but I can tell you it's a bit of a job. and we all know she has god only knows how many cats and that full and a half time job. :YMHUG: :thumbup o:) for all cindy's work...now can I fill those shoes???

12. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Round of applause for BOTH of you!

13. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I'll get those meters I told you about out in the mail asap. I'm a little backlogged here this week with the newly trapped feral cat and everything else.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Take you time Gina, I understand backlogged! Feeling a little of that myself lately...setting up accounts, making packages, it's exciting and happy work but time consuming and with the accounts on line I'm sooooo in the dark!
    Lori

15. ceil99

ceil99 Member

i also have some stuff. i pm you, let me know when you need anything

16. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i pay $30 or less per 100 test strips online via eBay for the contour. if i buy expired ones i've gotten some as low as $15 per 100.

i've paid that little for one touch ultra strips as well, but not for the aviva. frankly, the aviva feels very much like a contour but is perhaps bulkier or more awkward to hold. just a tad, but still good.

anyway, so i wholeheartedly endorse giving one touch ultras (and minis) and contours to newbies. i think relion strips are not cheaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.