? re: SQ fluid & p~itis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gwen and Morris, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Morris was diagnosed with p~itis a few weeks ago & I think he is at the tail end of his first flare. He had his last dose of bupe in the morning on Mar 1. I gave him mirtz on Feb 27 & attempted another dose yesterday (although I am not 100% sure that it went down the hatch!).

I have still been giving him his SQ fluids up until yesterday. The vet & the tech both mentioned to me that if his body isn't using all the fluids, we may still see a bump of fluids under his skin. This has not happened as yet with Morris. Does that mean his body still needs the extra fluids? Should I continue giving them for a few more days? Also, the bag of fluids from the vet says that there is electrolytes in the water....is that important, or could I use regular normal saline?

I am also still waiting for the vet to call me with the results from Morris' folate/cobalmin labwork we had done last Saturday. I am hoping that I will be able to start giving him B12 shots pretty soon. She told me that she would have the results either Mon or Tues of this week....I thought she was off work yesterday, so I didn't pester her. When I called her office this morning, however, it turns out I made a mistake & it is today that she is not working! She quite often calls me from home (even on her days off), so I am still hopeful that I may hear from her later today. If/when I do hear from her, I will ask about the fluids, but I thought I would ask here as well!

For more information on Morris, please visit our condo over in Lantus Land! http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7999

2. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

Gwen
    How much subq fluids is Morris getting? Is Morris eating and drinking amounts similiar before pancreatitis. As an acute attack resolves, if eating drinking, subq's may be decreased. Sometimes, kitties may not drink normally because being hydrated by subq also. I've decreased or stopped fluids based on resumed eating drinking activity before pancreatitis. If Morris mouth feels tacky, (sticky), you definitely need to consult your vet before stopping the fluids.
    Sunshine

3. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

In the beginning, he was getting 250 mls every other day. Then I learned that it would be better for him if I was giving him smaller amounts daily, so then I switched to giving him around 100-150 mls daily.

He never really drank much water (except for just before he was diagnosed with diabetes). Just in the past few days, he has started eating the same amount as before pancreatitis. I always mix in some water with his food.

4. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

Was a fPLI (test for pancreatits done)? Saline fluids will burn some cats as being injected. Electrolytes are important when a cat is vomiting and not eating and drinking...or dehydreated....did you vet give you instructions on how long to use fluids? I've use fluids wiht my pancreatic kitty during a flare up until I've noticed improvement. Might want to call your vet, discuss the improvements and ask when decreasing or stopping fluids is indicated. The pouch is the collection of fluid right after administering and will go away as absorbed. Sometimes the fluids will go toward the front paws too....a bubble under the skin unitl absorbed.

Sunshine

5. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Yes....he is 14! Definately has p~itis

Spoke with her this afternoon. She says I can stop the fluids now that he is eating better & feeling better. She wants me to give him 1 more dose of mirtz (due tomorrow), then hold off on the next dose (would be due Mon) & see if he continues to eat. If he is still eating without the mirtz after that, then we have successfully survived our first p~itis flare!

6. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Gwen, I noticed in your signature that you feed EVO food, is that still the case? You're aware that pancreatitis is often aggravated by fat in food, right? EVO canned food is a good quality food, but unfortunately probably too high in fat to be part of the regular diet for a pancreatitis prone kitty.

After one serious p-titis episode and another flare recently, I've had to take Gandalf off Wellness canned food, which is also higher in fat. He gets a mix of raw and Merrick canned food via syringe plus free feeds on Wellness Healthy Indulgence pouches mixed with 9Lives Tuna & Egg. Quite a smorgasbord! Merrick canned food is generally lower in fat, if Morris will eat it. My cats, including Gandalf turn their noses up at it.

Glad to hear Morris is doing better!

7. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Yes, I have learned that. I have just used up the last of the EVO I had on hand. When I would feed EVO to Morris, it was always just here & there and not a daily thing (costs too much for a daily thing!).

Is Wellness a good food for p~itis kitties? I have been meaning to check out Janet's lists again! As I am running low on all of the foods I give Morris, now would be a good time to do that research! LOL! I will need to go buy him more food in the next couple of days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.