? re: storing Lantus pens

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TheBowHuntress, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Gosh, I hope I don't have this backwards. I sent an email to Lantus re: their product packaging. I wanted to make sure that there was no sort of anti-tampering foil/tape/plastic that is supposed to be on the individual pens because when I buy a pen at the pharmacy, I get a pen that is already opened (out of box, ready to go). The Lantus rep said that the sealed box is the only "anti-tampering" used. She also told me that the Lantus pens should be stored in the refrigerator until ready to use. She said once you begin with a new, refrigerated pen, it should be stored at room temperature, not be placed back in the refrigerator and is good for 28 days. Now, I know that they're good for a much longer time than 28 days. However, I keep my in the refrigerator and the only time it leaves the refrigerator is when I measure Gobbles' shot out with the syringe, and then I always place it immediately back in the refrigerator. So it is always refrigerated. (The pharmacist where I buy my pens also told me that same thing as the Lantus rep). I always thought that the pens could be kept at room temperature (unopened) but then must be kept in the refrigerator once opened, however, if they aren't sealed, how could they be "opened"...?!?!?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

May vs must?

I always kept 'em in the fridge, on a main shelf regardless of opened or not.

3. Mary and Stella

Mary and Stella Well-Known Member

I use solostar pens. I keep them all in the refrigerator at the suggested temperature. The one that is 'in use' (the one I am sticking the syringe into on a daily basis) I place in a coffee cup on a shelf (not the refrigerator door) with the rubber side up (the area that you insert the syringe). I use it until it is empty (one to two months depending on dose).

We have had great success with the above as far as the potency remaining high. I felt with the vial it lost potency and as a result became more difficult to regulate Stella's Blood Glucose. I am not an 'expert' this has just been my experience. I passed the info on to my new vet because he had never had anyone want the pens before.

Good luck with your pens! I am sure all will be well. :D

4. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Thanks Mary & BJM! Thank goodness. Sounds like I had it right all along!

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If you use the pen needles for dosing (vice a syringe), refrigerating/taking out would likely get some air in the pen due to the temperature change. Air in the pen would then result in inaccurate dosing with the pen needles.

6. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

The package is kinda stuck closed but by "opened" they probably mean when you first pierce the rubber with the syringe. I pop the whole box in the fridge as soon as I get them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.