reading of 39 but no symptoms?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by static, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. static

static Member

I am new to home testing and so far have gotten very inconsistent results. I have a Bayer Countour device and am now out of test strips. I've wasted a lot of strips due to the blood samples being too small. Dale is on one unit of Lantus twice a day and I was feeding him Iam's. After reading around on how people got their cats OTJ I wanted to home monitor and experiment with another food. When I first tested Dale I mostly got readings in the 200's but even as high as 340. I switched him to Merrick and this +2.5 after shot got a reading of 163 which is the lowest I've ever gotten. After his evening meal and shot I wanted to test again and see if there was less of a food spike, and got a reading of 39. I don't know if this is significant, but I was testing on his ear but this time tried the paw since I was having a hard time. Since it was the last test strip, I can't retest at the moment. I'm wondering if it could be a fluke or if this device may not be accurate. I gave him a snack and he ate up, but he seems fine- energetic and purring. I can go get new test strips in the morning but do I need to worry now? Should I still give him his morning dose? confused_cat

2. Sarah and Velcro

Sarah and Velcro Member

you have replies over on the Lantus board. ;)

3. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Please remember that if you get an unexpectedly low reading your first step is to retest immediately. If the first reading was in error you need to know fast so you can figure out the best course of action. I suggest keeping an emergency supply of strips separate from the batch currently in use. Being without strips in an emergency is avoidable.

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

5. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

You did fine. with Lantus, that's not a hypo number - as long as you feed (low carb) and watch carefully... good luck!

6. bvanepps

bvanepps New Member

Had the same thing happen. Took Josey to the vet and we tested her together once with my monitor, again with theirs, and a final with the vet's high tech analysis machine (forget the name of the thing). All testing was done within minutes of each other. I did the first two tests. They did the final with me holding her. My meter was 39, theirs was 160, and the high tech was 130. Experienced vet suggested that human blood meters have a built in program for lower readings to measure extremely low to encourage people to avoid hypo. She reviewed signs of hypo with me again, and told me to keep my eyes open. Going on 12th week with Lantus and I have my crazy 12 year old cat back to her insane playful self.

7. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Nope, there's nothing built into a human meter to account for that discrepancy, so you may want to recalibrate your meter or exchange it for a new one. A meter should be within 20% of the lab tests, and that was not even close. I suspect a faulty meter. Call the 1-800 number and get them to send you a new one (but tell them all the tests were on you, not your cat!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.