Ready to start Insulin, but still cannot test!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sweet Tango, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweet Tango

Sweet Tango Member

Hi everyone. My kitty was actually diagnosed at the beginning of July. I spent the last 4 months trying to get him regulated with diet alone. I was also dealing with an injury of my own, and wasn't working. (it was a rough summer and Fall). My previous vet wrote a prescription for Pro-zinc but I didn't want to use it as I wanted to use either Lantus or Levimir. I finally found a new vet who prescribed Lantus. At the vet, this past week, his glucose showed as 411 on Alpha trak, but on my meter (at the vets office) it showed up as 201 (so confusing) Anyway, she wrote me a pres. for Lantus and said to start with 1 unit twice a day. I am ready to get started! I threw the old meter away and bought a Relion classic, but now my new meter is not working. :( I called Relion and they are sending me a new one, but I don't want to wait any longer to start with insulin. Should I at least start with .25 or .50 units just so I'm not waiting any longer?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am so stressed.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Do you have a meter? Any meter? I don't think there is a Relion "Classic." There is a Relion Prime and Premier. (You may be thinking of the Relion Confirm which has been discontinued.)

The starting dose of Lantus is calculated using a weight based formula: initial dose = 0.25 x ideal weight in kilograms

There are also a couple of factors to consider -- what are you feeding Tango? You need to start a spreadsheet. The instructions for the spreadsheet are in this link. This is where you'll put the data from your home testing. This is the link that provides an explanation for the spreadsheet -- and please enter. your data with the first day at the top and all of the remaining days below. (Your most recent tests will be entered at the bottom.)

I want to move your post over to the Health forum. This introduction group doesn't get a lot of traffic. Alternatively, if you copy your post above, you can then paste it over on the main forum.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I'm glad you have returned to posting on FDMB and are ready to begin insulin therapy.

I see that Sienne and Gabby (GA) has responded and just would like to request that you create a signature so that Tango's information is available whenever you post.

Editing your Signature, Profile, and Preferences

Best wishes going forward

4. Sweet Tango

Sweet Tango Member

Hi. It's the Relion Premier Classic. Just bought it at Walmart on Friday. Over the summer, I tried several high protein, low carb canned food and he's back on Fancy feast.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Most people would call it the Relion Premier. Let me know if you're going to re-post on Health.

6. Sweet Tango

Sweet Tango Member

I

7. Sweet Tango

Sweet Tango Member

I was just able to het my first glucose reading!! It’s 293. I guess I’m supposed to post in health?? Just wondering if I should “shoot” dosage will be .5??

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Yes to all of the above.

However, like I said, you need a spreadsheet.

It's also helpful if you can add a signature that will give us a thumbnail sketch about Tango. The instructions and what to include are as follows:

• On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
    • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: date
      • Name of insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.