? Really struggling with buying syringes in Europe

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lilian, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilian

Lilian Member

Hello,
    Is there anyone in Europe who uses 31G half unit syringes with 6mm needles? Or even 32G half unit syringes with 4mm needles (it seems that only pen needles are so thin)? Where do you order them? I don't want 8mm needles. I need half unit markings. And I don't want to hurt my cat. I have been using 32G 4mm pen needles. 31G 8mm pen needles have caused my cat pain. I don't seem to find any good syringes in Europe:( I'm from Estonia.

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Lilian,

I think many of us in Europe use these BD U100 half-unit syringes. Are these the ones that you've tried already..?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MicroFine-0-3ml-Insulin-Syringes-U100/dp/B00K86ZO20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459102192&sr=8-1&keywords=insulin syringe 100

And insulin injections should not usually cause a cat much, if any, pain.... So, I'm just wondering why Sassu is feeling pain with her insulin injections...
    Are you able to talk us through how you're currently giving the injections?

Best wishes,

Eliz

3. Lilian

Lilian Member

Hello,
    I am sure that the way I give injections is correct. If I use 4mm needle he doesn't even notice. If I use 8mm needle then he meows. I have read research that nowadays they do not recommend needles longer than 6mm even to obese humans. Are there really no shorter syringes than 8mm in Europe? I am really desperate.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Lilian,

I use BD Microfine 0.3ml Demi syringes. They have half-unit markings, they're 30 gauge but the needle length is 8mm. Sometimes Saoirse experiences discomfort when I inject her. I buy them from either ebay UK or Amazon UK depending on which site has the better price at the time. I think that even though Saoirse only gets a tiny dose of Lantus (less than 1 unit) it may sting her a bit (it definitely stings in larger doses). I also think there may be variably quality issues with the points of the needles: with some packs Saoirse doesn't experience any discomfort whereas with other packs she may complain a little when I give the injection. Saoirse's quite sensitive - she also reacts oddly to B12 cyanocobalamin injections when most cats don't.

Mogs

5. Lilian

Lilian Member

Hello,
    My cat has been very hard to inject. There is no way I could hurt him otherwise he would never let me do it. There is a big difference between 32G and 31G for him. I have found 31G 8mm needles, but I would like to find 6mm needles or 32G needles. It seems that there aren't any... Then I must continue with full unit dosing:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.