REbound, Resistance, Remission?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Beth & Atlas, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Hi all. I moved over here from the main board because the happenings are getting more or less better, but complicated.

Atlas, originally started out regulated with the vet over a period of 5+ weeks, surgery, and severe weight loss. Fostering him. Dosage was at 8 units BID. Curves at the time appear reasonable.

Event of May 6th. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13772

Last nights pre-shot was a whopping 490! Reviewing the chart back to the 6th, 7th, and 8th I realized I may have missed something. On the 7th after cutting the dose to 4 units, the morning preshot was 380, from a evening preshot of 270. From there the preshot numbers continued to climb (along with dose) and the curve went flat.

So last night I took a big deep breath and radically dropped his dose down to 3 units from the returned 8 units. Atlas dropped to a +4 of 215. This morning his pre-shot was 359. Since that drop was a long way to go I am wondering if his little body is still rebounding yet. I dropped the dose again this morning to 2 units. His +4 is 234.

Current analysis: His high flat curves were in the high 300's and 400's.
    Current 24 hour: He is in the 200's.

Well I think resistance is out of the question at this point. Rebound is looking most likely. And healing, dropping from 8 to who knows how low now....with as sick/neglected he was....could we see remission?

I know, I know too much hope too soon.

2. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hello.... well it is easy to see the results of the lower dose hey?

Right now, I would encourage you to hold steady at 2 units and get lots of tests in as you can. I have repsonded above about rebound as well. I have seen rebound take up to 4 days to clear, and with what you are seeing now, I would hold steady unless too low to shoot and let his body show you what is possible with this dose for a few more days. Do get some ketone tests as well okay?

Good job lowering everything.....8 units is a LOT of insulin.

3. Mary and Jolly

Mary and Jolly Member

Hi there,

8 units is a huge dose of insulin. I would have to agree that the 2 units is a lot better. It might take a while to find out what the optimal dose is. Every cat is different. So, that being said it might take only a couple of days for rebound to clear, but could take longer to see the great results you are looking for. The key is to be patient and I know that is the hardest part. If you are able to test often, you'll see how a new dose will effect the BG's. Even with a reduction, you still may see rebound if it's still too much insulin. If an increase is needed, it's always better to go slow and steady as to not miss an optimal dose.
    Just from my experience....it took about 3 months (just from the time I started testing) to get a great looking curve. It took about 18 months to get off the juice. I saw that rebound for a long time. She was diabetic for 3 years prior and being shot blindly with huge doses. Jolly was very lucky, but I also went batty getting her there. I couldn't get past the fact that she was on a large dose for a long time WITHOUT me ever testing her. In the end, it was the microdosing that worked best for her. It took me a long time to even be convinced of it. But 2 units (down from 5) is where I started seeing movement with her BG's. So, hang in there and try to test as often as you can.
    I hope this helps and encourages a bit.
    Good luck.

4. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Thank you both for replying and taking a look at the numbers.

Things have been a bit crazy and I am trying to not freak out or obsess over the numbers....but....I am.

Tonight the pre-shot is 433 again and the mids appear to be rising...again. Sigh.

Holding at 2 is a struggle for me.

We see the shelter vet tomorrow. He is either going to yell at me or work with me. nailbite_smile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.