Recent opinions on YOUNG AGAIN, EVO dry or?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carolyn Ross, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carolyn Ross

Carolyn Ross Member

I've been transitioning to an all-wet diet - Fancy Feast and temporarily Wellness Core, beef, venison & lamb (since I have a few cans left and he'd been used to eating it). He had also been on Hills dry KD, but more as a preventative than an actual need, so I've been slowly removing it. Before the diabetes diagnosis he was used to getting some Temptation treats each night -but now I need to find substitute dry treat. I had a sample bag of EVO chicken turkey dry -I'm not completely sure of the carb content but thought it was approved as a food they could eat occasionally and he loves it? I've been giving a few pieces as treats only, but now it seems that it's become hard to find in stores so I'm uncertain about being able to buy more. I got samples of Young Again 54/24 mature today and thought this would be great and gave him a piece, which met with his approval BUT I've read a number of posts from people who warned about diarrhea with it. It seems like a great choice for my cat since giving him a couple of pieces of dry food and he seems more interested in his wet and it's sounds like a good option for those night-time treats that's he's so used to getting. Certainly I don't want to add a problem to his health so what are the opinions about the safety feeding any EVO dry or Young Again at the present time? Is there another safe food to use as treats that's crunchy? I got some freeze dried treats however they weren't big hits and he wasn't interested in any except the salmon (with the addition of Bonito flakes).

Also Sam is not on insulin yet as there's a chance that the diet change might be all that's necessary for him. He was just diagnosed this week and his BG numbers so far are in the mid 200's.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Before I was able to transition my girls to all wet, I gave them Young Again Zero Mature, and neither ever had diarrhea on it. I have also given it as a treat or food topper before without any issues. I am sure it depends on the cat and whether it bothers their system or not.

3. Carolyn Ross

Carolyn Ross Member

Thanks, I hope the food can work out for me without a problem too. I guess I'll just give him a couple of pieces over the next few days and hope there's no reaction. My vet always recommends a very slow transition but reading that some cats have issues with possibly the pork content, and ending up with diarrhea that then needs treatment worries me. I wonder if the cats with problems were not transitioned or if there were there other underlying health issues, was pork allergy to blame or could it be a bad batch of food?

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

5. Carolyn Ross

Carolyn Ross Member

Thanks. Yes, that's another on my list of foods to try but I haven't seen it at the pet store yet. I do intend to look for it. Do you know how many carbs are in it?

6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

You can get Dr Elseys from Chewy.com. I think I remember @JanetNJ saying it was 4-5 carbs.

7. Carolyn Ross

Carolyn Ross Member

Thanks, I looked it up and did find that info on the website as 4.69%. I saw lots of locations near me for their products but it appears to be only the litter, so I guess I'll need to order some.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Order from. Chewy....but if you want a free same ask on dr elseys website.

Carolyn Ross likes this.
  9. Carolyn Ross

Carolyn Ross Member

Thanks, I requested some this morning

JanetNJ likes this.
  10. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Just a note - Evo seems to have changed their formula and it is now higher in carbs (~ 12 % as I remember) another option is Epigen90 (it has to be Epigen90 not regular Epigen from Wysong.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  11. Carolyn Ross

Carolyn Ross Member

Thanks for that, I thought the EVO was lower in carbs , I haven't given Sam much - only as a treat but I'll need to find out how many carbs are actually in it. I wonder if you give a couple pieces of EVO and a couple pieces of YA aren't you actually giving a much lower carb count when averaging them together (especially if giving them at the same time)?

12. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I only know that Evo raised Murphy's blood sugar and YA doesn't (but he developed an aversion to YA and won't eat it)

13. Carolyn Ross

Carolyn Ross Member

Thanks, I'm trying to be more careful with carbs ; trying to lower the BG with diet for a few more days, so I'm going to avoid the EVO especially now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.