Info RECENT REMISSIONS?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Terri and Lucy, Feb 8, 2010.

1. membeth

membeth Member

We're at five weeks of no insulin and normal BG numbers. So Pants is back in remission, which the vet said was probably not going to happen. I'm still super nervous and testing almost every day. Here's hoping it sticks.

1. Date of Diagnosis: Original diagnosis June 2017; got a few days of Lantus and went into remission in immediately; no insulin from July 2017 to November 2018. Knocked out of remission in October 2018 due to steroids and started ProZinc in November 2018.

2. Specific PZI: ProZinc

3. When did you switch from dry to wet food: Immediately after original diagnosis in June 2017.

4. If you used any other insulin besides the PZI, which one and how long were you on it: Lantus for a few days after the original diagnosis in June/July 2017, and then again for couple of doses after she came out of remission in November 2018. She crashes on Lantus, no matter how small the dose. In total, she had four hypos that required vet intervention/IV glucose. She's somewhat sensitive to ProZinc, but did fine on small doses (.2 - .5) and her BG was way more predictable.

5. Date of last shot and average BG since then: Last shot April 13, 2019; average BG in the low 100s on an AlphaTrak2 meter. (All of my tests are food influenced -- she free feeds.)

2. Calibonbons

Calibonbons New Member

3. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Scout was diagnosed in the beginning of April, 2u 2xs daily. Blood work gave 589 BG. Scout was all dry food so we switched to all wet. I started insulin right away and should have held off. She bounced a lot so we dropped to 1u after 2 weeks. After that she just or more and more blues and greens. We slowly weened her off Prozinc by doing a week or so of .25u and drops. By week 5 scout was completely OTJ. I tested for 14 days and she stayed beautifully in green. It's been 6 days since she last daily testing and I couldn't be happier.

4. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Gato, 9 year old neutered male. 14lbs.
    Diagnosed 3/15/19

Prescribe ProZinc 2u every 12 hrs, which we quickly found was too high a dose. Thankful I guys fdmb for more appropriate dosing advice!

We switched to low carb wet food pretty much immediately. Primarily he eats Weruva chicken frickazee mixed into Weruva pates for texture.

Dental was integral in his journey. He had 12 extractions due to rampant resorption on 4/23/19 and healed well without complications or further infection.

His last shot was a drop on the morning of 5/12/19.
    Since then his BG generally sits anywhere from 75-90, with only a few outliers still hardly in blue.

We'll continue testing a few times a week, as I'm a bit of a control freak. Once I'm certain he's consistently holding we'll switch to once a week.
    I'm. So proud of him and thankful for how good and sweet he's been throughout this whole process!

5. Pickles's Human

Pickles's Human New Member

1. Diagnosed June 3rd 2019
    2. ProZinc
    3. June 18th 2019 switch from dry to wet food (estimate)
    4. No other insulin used other than ProZinc
    5. Last shot 08/11/19 and average BG since then is 53

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  6. Limekitty

Limekitty Member

1. Diagnosed as possible diabetes on 8/9/19
    2. Prozinc prescribed on 8/13/19
    3. Switched to Fancy Feast Classic wet food 8/14/19
    4. Last shot was .5 on 8/24/19 and average BG is 85

Cutie Pie had surgery for an abscess in March and SD WM was added to her dry food.
    Beginning of August she was peeing outside her litter box so we thought maybe a urinary infection and took her to the Vet.
    They did urine and blood work then diagnosed her on 8/9/19. Vet prescribed ProZinc 2u every 12 hrs for 2 days then increase to 3u every 12 hrs.
    He gave us Purina DM for her food (18% carbs).

On 8/14/19 I found this AWESOME board and spent hours/days getting educated. My husband has type 2 diabetes so I'm familiar, but still in unknown territory. We switched her to Fancy Feast classic, set up her spread sheet and posted.

MrWorfMen's Mom (Linda) has been a fabulous mentor and angel helping us throughout this journey. :cat::D:smuggrin::cat::otj:

7. membeth

membeth Member

It stuck! Pants is now at 5 months of remission. I've calmed down and am only testing every few weeks instead of daily. She gained back a little bit of weight as well, and while she's still teeny tiny at 6.6 lbs, she doesn't look nearly as scraggly and skinny as she did at 6.3.

ZulusMom (GA) likes this.
  8. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

@membeth Delighted to hear Pants is doing so well. Do keep us posted. :joyful:

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

She is such a gorgeous kitty, congrats

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

What a precious face

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

What a handsome kitty

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

He's so handsome

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Looking at all of these precious kitties that have gone into remission. I'm so happy for all of you. Hopefully one day Tyler's name will be here, The boys are all so handsome and all of the girls are so beautiful.

14. Limekitty

Limekitty Member

Update 10/13/19: Cutie Pie has tested between 83 and 106 (avg of 95) over the last 4 weeks. She's very active now but still wants her lap time every day and a chicken treat:cat:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  15. Diane Tyler's Mom

What a beautiful kitty Cutie Pie he is

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Limekitty likes this.
  16. MarleyB

MarleyB Member

Marley's adventure.
    1. Date of Diagnosis - 08/09/2018
    2. ProZinc only.
    3. When did you switch from dry to wet food
    09/03/2018 FF Classics and mixed with Friskies Pates
    4. ProZinc only.
    5. Date of last shot and average BG since then - 10/06/2018 Average of ~87 with AT2
    Some notes, we've quit picking up their food at night. They are eating two meals per day but they free-eat more like they did when they were on the dry type. We're starting to relax the testing to once a day now and may cut back even more. If you check Marley's chart, often the higher results are explainable as we see him eat just a short bit of time prior to that test.

Hopefully this is long-term and no rebounds come our way, at least we have a better understanding of what to look for and how to help him out if needed.

The only real issue we have now is that he has extremely dry skin. We're trying to find a lotion or something for his skin. We sold our house and the apartment does not have a humidifier on the furnace.

We really appreciate the guidance along the way. We've relieved a lot of great help and comfort from many but a few really stand out. @MrWorfMen's Mom @Idjit's mom @Diane Tyler's Mom Thank you and apologies if I left someone out.

17. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

congrats_cat_448x293.jpg I am absolutely thrilled for you and Marley! Always love remission stories and Marley's BG has been stellar! May you and Marley enjoy a long and healthy stay at the Falls! (FDMB for in remission). Thank you for letting us know!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  18. Diane Tyler's Mom

Congratulations

19. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

@MarleyB Wonderful news, there is always hope!! Congrats Marley darlin', Maybe some type of fish or krill oil orally for dry skin?

MamaMug likes this.
  20. Limekitty

Limekitty Member

Congrats on the awesome news! :cat::smuggrin:

21. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

That's great! Could you describe the "food switch" that you're referring to? What did you switch from and to? Thanks!

22. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Bonbon, the diabetic girl I adopted last Feb went into remission a few months ago. And she's still in remission...(can you tell that I don't really trust it? Hahahaaa! (Nervous laughter....)

1. Date of Diagnosis
    November 2018. She was handed into rescue because she was peeing everywhere. I adopted her the following Feb.

2. Specific PZI (ProZinc, Idexx, BCP, compounded, etc.)
    Hypurin PZI. Now sadly discontinued... I got her into remission using Bertie's old insulin left (after he went into remission) from 2017...

3. When did you switch from dry to wet food
    She'd only ever been on a dry diet before coming here. When she came here I took her off insulin while transitioning her to low carb wet food, and getting her used to having her blood glucose tested.

4. If you used any other insulin besides the PZI, which one and how long were you on it
    Bonbon was on 4 units Caninsulin when she came here from the rescue. After transitioning her to wet food I put her on Bertie's old Hypurin PZI.

5. Date of last shot and average BG since then
    20th October 2019 (and she probably didn't need that shot...).
    She's now usually between 3.7 and 4.3 on a human meter.

Bonbon catnip pillow.JPG

23. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yeah for Bonbon, a beautiful Tortie girl! Now OTJ. All paws crossed that she stays there.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  24. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

1. Billy, my 11 year old male was diagnosed on 12/28/2019 with BGL over 500 and signs of neuropathy.
    2. He was put on ProZinc
    3. We switched immediately to canned food, but used a mix of low-carb and higher carb the first 4 days
    4. He has only used ProZinc.
    5. Billy's last dose was 01/13/2020. Since then his BGL has ranged from 70-115.

25. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Thank you Juls for posting Billy's story.
    We like to let other members using Prozinc know that it IS possible to get their cat to a diet controlled status (remission, OTJ) using Prozinc. Gives people faith and hope.

26. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Absolutely! It's what gave Brian and me hope, and here we are on the list!

27. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

Juls, Billy's story continues to keep us optimistic for Kit's journey on ProZinc. I'm so thankful that you and others that succeed with remission don't abandon us on this forum! We need you! Are you feeding FF pate? Can't remember. I think you've mentioned before but it's not on Billy's SS.

Irish Pat and Deb & Wink like this.
  28. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Yes, FF pate and some Friskies pate now and again. I mix the flavors up a lot so he doesn't get bored. We also did many small meals a day, and I basically fed him whenever he was hungry. He's a fat boy, but we didn't reduce his food until he was in remission.

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  29. Celi

Celi Member

Angel was diagnosed Jan. 30, 2020 with BG of 600
    Started on Prozinc Feb.2, 2020 4U twice a day!!
    Started on FF pate right away but then changed to Wellness and Weruva because they are lower in phosphorus and she also has CKD
    Angel’s last insulin was on April 21, 2020 and by then she had been on a 1 drop dose for a few days,
    Her BG is usually between 50 and 80 AM and 90 to 118 PM
    When we found this forum and a wonderful expert advisor, things started getting better. I had already reduced her dose based on info from the group but here we got help tailored to our specific circumstances and needs. I had hoped we could achieve remission but it has happened more quickly than I expected and I still can hardly believe we are there. Fingers crossed we stay in remission. I can’t thank the awesome people in the group and on the message board enough.

Deb & Wink and Sharon14 like this.
  30. Sidney

Sidney New Member

1. DX March 2, 2020
    2.Prozinc started 1 unit 2Xday
    3. Switched to wet food almost immediately
    4. no other insulin
    5. Last shot was 5/6/20 and that was only a smidge. He's been doing great since, keeping his numbers between 64 and 95 on the AlphaTrak2

The biggest change was investing in a microchip reading dish for the other cat. No sneaking of snacks allowed.

Celi, Deb & Wink and Sharon14 like this.
  31. Celi

Celi Member

Sounds like Sidney is doing great! So exciting to be here. I am hoping I can relax about testing soon but I still get anxious and have to make sure she is still on track. Her last four numbers have been 84, 94, 72 and 80 so we are ok.

Deb & Wink and Sidney like this.
  32. Valher

Valher Member

Boo was diagnosed Feb of 2018, was on .25 PZ. Switched from dry food to FF pate and within two months was in remission for over 2 yrs. Now back on PZ, but having those 2 yrs in remission was great! He's 15 yrs old.

Celi likes this.
  33. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

Max is officially OTJ and in remission. I can’t thank this site enough for all the help, support and guidance I got during Max’s diabetic journey. @Deb & Wink , @JanetNJ , thank you for all the dosing guidance and encouragement. @Red & Rover (GA) , @Bron and Sheba (GA) , @Panic , @Diane Tyler's Mom , @Shelley & Jess , thank you for help during our late night pajama parties (hypo events).

Praying he continues to stay in remission, but if not, I would not hesitate to do everything all over again even if it was a life long change. Max means the world to me and through all of this, we have bonded so much. I’m just thankful it was caught early and he’s still here.

@Irish Pat and @jt and trouble (GA) , thank you for you words and encouragement. I had my share of tears and frustration when we first got the diagnosis and then with our several near hypo events. I hope Brady and you are able to experience remission. He’s a lucky boy to have such a caring and dedicated dad.

I still have a lot to learn, but I’d like to stay on the boards and help pay it forward. FD can be so overwhelming and scary at first, but this board helped calm those fears and anxiety.

Thank you all and big hugs!
    Max and Rebecca

34. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hooray to Max and Rebecca!! :joyful:

Deb & Wink and NoahFL like this.
  35. Diane Tyler's Mom

Congratulations Max and Rebecca ,I'm so happy for you. It's party time for Max :bighug::cat:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  36. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

YAY!! Congratulations Max and Rebecca!! Rebecca, I'm so happy and PROUD of you for you diligent hard work to get Max into remission! Sigh.. I cant wait to get there! *High fives*
    upload_2020-7-24_7-59-20.png

Deb & Wink and NoahFL like this.
  37. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

Thank you! I hope you and Tucker get to experience this too. Deb really helped with his dosage control and I trusted her 100%. We were aggressive and I had some late nights, but totally worth it. Near hypo events are scary, but the more it happened the more comfortable I got learning how to control his BG with food. Good luck to you both!

Deb & Wink and LoveforTucker like this.
  38. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Thank you!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  39. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

upload_2020-7-24_12-18-16.png

Deb & Wink, LoveforTucker and NoahFL like this.
  40. symian277

symian277 Member

:otj: My Skye has done amazingly well! I have a new kitty that is well groomed and far more interactive than she has been in a long time. I am super excited about all of the information and support I got here for my sugar cat.:bookworm: As a HUGE added bonus - the information here may have saved my current civvie as well as my future kitties from EVER having to go through this or any other number of diseases that I may be able to prevent with a total wet food diet!:cat:

1. Date of Diagnosis:
    • 09/02/2020
    • I believe onset was probably a couple of weeks before this. I started noticing the excessive thirst and urination but needed to wait for her scheduled appointment before I could address it with all of the backlog and COVID precautions.
    2. Specific PZI:
    • ProZinc
    3. When did you switch from dry to wet food:
    • Skye was a PITA about her dry food but I finally got her off of it when I switched to Weruva. I had her on Royal Canin prescription weight control dry free feed with canned in the morning and evening. Once she was diagnosed I worked on switching her to the recommended Royal Canin Glycobalance dry and canned on 09/04/2020. The more I read in this group the more I realized that it was STILL incredibly high in carbs and not going to be a good match. I mean seriously, the canned had GRAVY!?!? She wasn't a fan of the canned food at all and barely ate it. The dry, on the other hand, was her jam. :facepalm: I looked for a good food low in carbs and found Weruva. She started getting tastes outside of her meals on 09/10/2020 and we got a kitty thumbs up. As soon as she was completely transitioned to the Glycobanalance on 09/11/2020 I almost immediately I started switching her over to the Weruva Slide and Serve JeoPURRdy and Meal of Fortune for regular meals with treat meals from the Showcase Chowdown pack (with the exception of The Slice is Right since it is almost 10% carbs. My civie kitty gets those packs). I pulled out all dry food including the dry my civvie was eating. During transition she just ate the Weruva from the Glycobalance so we switched early. I basically gave up a slow transition on 09/14/2020. She has been eating more and more of the packs until I have a finished 2.8 oz pack before the next meal.
    4. If you used any other insulin besides the PZI, which one and how long were you on it:
    • No other insulin
    5. Date of last shot and average BG since then:
    • Last shot was 0.25 Units of ProZinc on the morning of 09/21/2020 when she was 184 mg/dL. That night she was 133 mg/dL (same as her +2 that morning) and I did not give her any insulin. By +5 after her normal shot time and after a meal she was at 106 mg/dL. She was up to 147 mg/dL in the morning but I did not feel comfortable shooting her before leaving for work. She was down to 122 mg/dL that evening and did not get any insulin again. Good call since she was down to 71 mg/dL by +5 all on her own. Our last blue was the next morning at 131 mg/dL. She has been running high to mid-90's to mid 60's ever since. (ReliOn Prime).

I cannot express how invaluable this group has been for getting Skye to this point. All of the advice and support has been amazing. I just don't know how I would have gotten through those first few days after diagnosis without the help. All of the worry and late nights doing curves... I hope we never have to cross that bridge, but even if she comes out of remission, I feel like I have a handle on the daily treatment. I know that I will have the support for those tough questions and a guiding hand during any crisis. This is the best group EVER!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

Carrie

41. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

1. Date of Diagnosis - may 13th 2021
    2. Specific PZI - ProZinc
    3. When did you switch from dry to wet - about 3 days after diagnosis
    4. If you used any other insulin besides the PZI, which one and how long were you on it - vetsulin (gag) for 6 days. It made his numbers worse!
    5. Date of last shot and average BG since then - June 4th 2021, avg BG around 90. I found that he needs meals much more often to keep his blood glucose down, so now he eats every 5-6 hours and that keeps him around 80 :)

This cat is my soul cat I've had him since the day he was born and the diagnosis rocked my world. I'm so blessed that he's in remission thanks to the FDMB. This website saves lives without a doubt, I remember when he was first diagnosed I read everything on this site and I found this thread of remissions on day one. I thought to myself I would never be lucky enough to get to post there but it wasn't luck that I get to finally post, it was everyone here working together to make sure my cat was safe and healthy. I love y'all

Susan Jane likes this.
  42. Chris and Checkers

Chris and Checkers Well-Known Member

Diagnosed 28 May, 2021

ProZinc

Always on wet food veterinary food for stuvites. Switched to low carb diet about a 1-2 weeks after diagnosis

Only ProZinc

26 July 2021 last dose of insulin recommended by vet after BG and fructosamine test.

43. Marie & Red

Marie & Red Member

Red was diagnosed Dec 2, 2021.

He's always been on ProZinc.

He was a big dry food/high carb eater, but I switched him to wet/low carb food immediately.

Last shot was May 22, 2022, which was a drop dose.

His BG since last dose has been running between 70's to low 100's. He been averaging 100 in the AM, and about 85 in the PM.

A big warm thank you from Red and me for getting him to remission! Without the help and support I received, I don't know where Red would be now!

Deb & Wink and FrostD like this.
  44. ponteaggere

ponteaggere New Member

It looks like Bowie is in remission.
    He got his last shot this Wednesday morning (0.10U) and his numbers are keeping steady, albeit on the higher side (6.6mmol/L)
    He is getting 20g of orijen 6 fish + 100g BARF a day. Strictly on BARF made him constipated, so adding fibre husk and water to his BARF to keep things going.
    Fingers crossed!

FrostD likes this.