Recently diagnosed kitty, new user, nervous/anxious

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rufus, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Hello! My name is Christina.

Recently, our little guy Rufus was diagnosed with Diabetes. We just moved into a new house during a heat wave on the East Coast. We assumed his lethargy, anti-social behavior (sleeping under the bed as opposed to on top of us) was because of stress and heat. Two days into this pattern, he refused food which was a huge red flag for us. His entire life, he has eaten like a little pig. He tried to jump off of our bed and tumbled. We rushed him to the emergency vet.

He had ketones in his urine and was very dehydrated. After 6 nerve-wracking days and nights in the ICU, he was discharged.

We are still nervous-- he's interested in food but not eating nearly as much as he used to-- a few bites for a few minutes, and then he walks away. Because he's generally very docile, we were able to "force feed" (drop it in his mouth with a spoon) him pureed food this morning to safely give him his insulin. He's also gone back to sleeping under the bed. He's alert when we pet him, and walking fine.

We're hoping this is normal for a cat that just had an extended stay in a kennel hooked up to tubes with barking dogs all around him.

Personally, I'm completely frightened, praying for the best, and out of money. We love this little guy more than some of our family members and just want him to be better.

2. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Hi Christina and Rufus.
    I'm sure other members will be along shortly to give you more info, but I wanted to say that I think we ALL were scared to death when first learned our wonderful kitty was diabetic. It is overwhelming initially, but you can do this. Take one step at a time, and know that others will help guide you through it.

3. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi Christina and rufus! I know right now everything seems overwhelming because well, it is! You have to take a deep breath because diabetes in a cat is so very easily managed.

Did your vet put your kitty on insulin and if so, do you know the brand?

Did your vet do a fructomasmine test? That will give you an average of your kitty's sugar levels over the past two or three weeks.

Is your kitty eating dry cat food, or wet cat food?

I know these are some questions that everyone is going to as you. Just wanted to stop in and say hi, and that I know how scared you are, but diabetes in a cat is not a death sentence so don't be thinking like that, ok? Hang in there guys ...

4. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Hi there! Thanks for the quick responses.

He is on Lantus. One unit 2x a day.

I have to check the paperwork, but I believe they did a BGC everyday, and tested for ketones. Not sure if the BGC is the same as the fructomasine.

He was eating Friskie's Special Diet (for urinary tract issues). They put him on Purina DM wet and dry. He doesn't like the pate texture of the food, he prefers the "meaty bits" style-- always has. We weren't too shocked when he turned his nose up at the pate last night, but our vet made it clear that he needed to eat SOMETHING in order to get his insulin, so this morning we tried to get him to eat his usual Friskies. He had a few bites, and then walked away. That's when we "force fed."

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Is the Friskies dry or canned? Dry food really doesn't help with urinary issues, and can exacerbate the diabetes (just as with humans).

Newly diagnosed cats feel like cr*p and so won't eat, but they need food or their liver is affected, and they need food for the insulin to work on. So force feeding is often necessary at first but if you are giving insulin regularly then things should balance out

Consider posting your general location if you'd like local help, and please read through the feline diabetes FAQ linked just above

Jen

6. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Canned, wet food. We stopped with dry food after his urinary tract issues (never infections, just blockages).

I'm in Western Massachusetts. Thanks so much!

7. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

I'm in central Massachusetts. Let me know if I can help you out.
    Are you home testing?

8. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

It's pretty scary at first, but if Rufus were my cat, I'd take MJ up on her generous offer to help. She can show you how to hometest your little man. Once you learn to hometest you'll be able to understand how his numbers are affecting how he feels.

From there you will be well informed and able to make dose adjustments as needed to keep Rufus healthy and safe.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your here, that's the important thing. You will want to start hometesting. You will want to change his diet. And You will be shocked at how quickly he will improve as you become an expert at this and lose you nervous/anxious feeling. please allow anyone of us nearby to help you either by phone or a visit. many of us lucky ones got the easy start that way.
    post often and let us know what you plan to do. you can pm that person (forgot already who posted help in your area) by looking down at her post and pressing the pm button which will send her a private message.
    you are in good hands.
    contact me if you need a kit to start out with or if you want to talk. once again the pm button.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.