Recently diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Helena & Murinka, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helena & Murinka

Helena & Murinka Member

Hello, I am Helena from Prague (Czech republic) and one of my cat was diagnosed with diabetes 2 weeks ago. So everything is still very new and quite a challenge in all aspects. Hope we will handle it and we will be able to secure our beloved cat a good life even with this diagnosis. But I am a bit sceptical whether it is possible to find a way how to handle it and going to full time at the same time ... So I am looking for information and I will be very greatfull for all your experiences and advices. Thanks a lot and best from Prague.

2. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Hello Helena, welcome to Fdmb :)
    There's lots of information on here that you will find helpful. If you have questions the main health forum is a great place to ask them.
    There may be less members about at this time of day but usually someone is about that can help you.
    Many people manage their kitties well while working full time so don't let that put you off.

You can do this! :cat:

3. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hi Helena, Welcome!
    You can manage working fulltime and handeling your kitties diabetes, I've also done it and there are so many people doing that!
    Let's start off with some question.

What do you feed your kitty?
    How much does he/she weigh? Overweight or not?
    What type of insulin are you giving (or going to give?) Because there are a few different types like Prozinc, Lantus, Caninsulin.
    Are you willing to test your kitty at home?

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome, Helena. I know it seems overwhelming at first, especially when you also have to work full time. There are others here to help you get a routine going that works for you. It does get easier as you go along, I promise!

5. Helena & Murinka

Helena & Murinka Member

Thank you for your support, Im becoming more and more optimistic that we can handle it. This forum is definetely a great source of knowledge, experience and support. Thnx!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  6. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

The first thing you need to do is to buy a glucose meter. It can be one that's made for pets, they work well, but the strips are expensive. Most people here use meters made for humans. They are less expensive. Some vets don't like us doing our own testing because they make a lot of money if you have to bring your cat into the office for testing. If you test at home, you can keep you're Kitty safer. There are a lot of people here that will help you care for your cat. By the way, tell us about your cat. What is his / her name.

Welcome to the best place for diabetic cats and their parents.

7. Helena & Murinka

Helena & Murinka Member

Dear Donna, thank you! I am already home testing, my vet told me it´s a necessity when looking after a diabetic cat. So I have my glucometer already and I manage to home test, it´s a challende though.

I have 2 cats, they are sisters though completely different. They come from France where I lived ages ago :) one is called "Bila" which means "White" and the other one is called "Murinka" and Murinka is the one who is diabetic. And they are lovely :)

I see your cat is on Vetsulin, it seems to be the same like Caninsulin here in Europe, Murinka is on Caninsulin as well. My vet is not very keen to use insuline for humans so I hope Caninsulin will work for Murinka.

Greetings from Prague, Helena

8. Helena & Murinka

Helena & Murinka Member

THANK YOU! I start to beleive I can manage :)

TempestsMum and Sharon14 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.