Recently diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kya’s Mom 1983, Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kya’s Mom 1983

Kya’s Mom 1983 Member

Hello my 12 year old kitty Kya was recently diagnosed 2 weeks ago. Just did insulin curve last week and vet put her on 1 unit 1x a day to start. Trial and error right now but she is back to her old self for the most part. But with a ravenous appetite. Still trying to work out feed schedule though. She is underweight so I want her to get back to 10 lbs.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome to the board Annie and Kya. There is lots of information here on the board to read and learn about feline diabetes. The goal is to get Kya as healthy as possible and feeling good again. A wet low carb diet is best for our sugar cats, all cats really. There is a wonderful food chart at the top of the Main Forum page that you can look at. The low carb food should be less than 10%, better yet 7%. Many of us feed Fancy Feast Classics and Friskies Pate. Others will chime in with food suggestions and preferences. Kya is ravenous right now because her unregulated diabetes prevents her little body from correctly processing the food she eats, so you can feed her several small meals throughout the day. Just be sure to remove food 2 hours before blood sugar testing so you can be sure the result is not food influenced.
    I suggest you create a signature that will display with each post (see mine in gray beneath my message?) This saves repetitive questioning and answering for pertinent information on Kya. Here is a link on how to do that: SIGNATURE
    Home testing is critically important. Testing before injecting, to be sure it's safe to do so, and testing at different times of the day/night to see how the insulin is working in the body, the point at which the blood sugar is lowest due to the insulin, and to prevent hypoglycemia, which is very serious and can be fatal.
    The curve at the vet is testing BG every two hours usually, and you can save yourself money and Kya stress from a vet visit (which usually raises BG) by doing your own testing, and curves Then, in the safety of home you can see if the dose is right for her. There are extremely experienced and knowledgeable members here who can help with dosing questions.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.