Recommendations for low-carb food from single/limited protein source for cat with food sensitivities

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alexander's Mom, May 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexander's Mom

Alexander's Mom New Member

Hello!
    My 10 year-old fur baby, Jack, developed a food sensitivity several years ago. For a time, we used the Prescriptives Hypoallergenic Diet, and he gained several pounds, placing him at risk for diabetes.
    Via this message board, I then found a great low-carb, single source protein wet food for him from Hounds & Gatos (lamb and lamb liver formula). However, a month ago, that particular formula went out of production and their other limited protein foods include salmon oil. Since I do not know the source of Jack's food allergy, I did not want to move him to one of those options. In a panic to find a limited source protein, I did some research and ordered Instincts freeze-dried limited source, duck protein food. However, I was not able to find this brand on the FDMB site to determine the carb level. It is getting close to when I need to order food and I want to order something that addresses both of Jack's issues. When I reviewed the nutrition pages, it only included wet food and did not include the Instincts brand.
    If anyone can help me find a single source protein food that is low carb, I will be forever in your debt. Jack's skin issues got so bad that he has a couple of patches on his neck where the fur never grew back. As a result, I have had to put a "scarf" around his neck to keep him from scratching the bare skin patches. I also trim his nails regularly and use the soft claws caps for his rear legs.
    Thank you all for you help. When my fur baby, Alexander, developed diabetes, this message board helped me to move him off of insulin within 2 weeks. My vet prescribed insulin and never discussed doing blood glucose testing or changing diet. I found this message board and learned so much from you all.
    I look forward to hearing from you!
    Kimberly (aka Alexander's Mom)

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say I wish you luck finding what you need. I have no idea... that and this post will bump you to the top. ;)

Alexander's Mom likes this.
  3. Alexander's Mom

Thank you!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Hey Alex's mom. I think you should try to find what he is allergic to. What was the Hypoallergenic Diet, food prescribed by your vet, was it wet or dry food? It could be a new allergy. Some ppl say that its good to keep a rotation of different proteins (duck, chicken, quail...) to avoid developing allergies, but it could also be grains. https://thecatsite.com/c/11-key-facts-about-food-allergies-in-cats/ Search the Health Forum.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

If you’re interested in the Natures Variety Instinct food, call them and ask for the As Fed values(Not Guaranteed Analysis). They are about answering questions.

6. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Instinct has a limited ingredient turkey that is low carb. Ziwipeak is another good brand to check out, as well as maybe Rawz, although that one is a bit harder to find depending on where you are. Chicken tends to be a common intolerance but if your kitty can eat chicken, Weruva, Tiki Cat, and Soulistic have a few options

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  7. Alexander's Mom

Jack was on Prescriptives z/d. He wouldn't eat the wet food, so, unfortunately, he was on the dry food and gained nearly 4lbs! I tried grain-free food first because I had a hard time finding a hypoallergenic food that was not an issue for Alexander's diabetes at that time. On the Hounds and Gatos Lamb, Jack lost 2lbs within a few months.

I am beginning to suspect corn may be the issue. I tried a corn-based litter in the fall (long story) and Jack had a resurgence of the skin issue. I have not gone back to see whether corn was an ingredient in any of the grain-free foods I previously tried 3 years ago, partly because I cannot remember what I tried at that time.

I hate to experiment because Jack's skin issues went on for so long, so I avoid anything with fish, chicken, or turkey since they were in the foods I used before he had the issue. Hounds and Gatos has a rabbit but it has salmon oil in it.

8. Alexander's Mom

Thank you, I will look them up!

9. Alexander's Mom

Thank you, I will!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.