recommended syringes

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Donna & Buddha, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Gator posted this link:

http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 82316.html

Is this the U100 syringe that most of you use?

When the vet switched us to ProZinc she sold us some 3/10cc 1/2 inch 29 gauge U40 syringes. So I've been using them. That supply is almost used up. I have over 400 1/2cc 1/2 inch 29 gauge U40 syringes in the cabinet (I buy in bulk to save $$$) and looking at them, there's no way, no way I'll be able to use them and give even 1/2 units with any accuracy or consistency. And at least one of you is telling me that .05u adjustments are sometimes called for? Please!

So other than U-100 instead of U-40 (and I understand I'd need to do some math, or use a conversion chart, to find the correct dose on these) it looks like these are shorter and thinner needles too?

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

You can also get them at Walmart, but at least at my Walmart it takes some time & trial & error to convince the clerk to keep looking for the kind you want, LOL. The secret is the 1/2 unit markings, and double checking that you've got the right thing before paying.

I have bought these from Hocks - same as Gator's link but different brand name (could just be the packaging that's different, who knows): http://hocks.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc ... de=A740030

Yes the needles are shorter. Strange to get used to, but I love them now, much easier once you get used to the change. They also sell the 1/2 unit marking syringes in 30 gauge, which is a bit thicker needle than the 31. Once you try the 31s, you will never want to go back ;)

I prefer the Hocks ones to the ones I got at Walmart (not sure what the brand name was) because the plunger was snugger somehow - the Walmart ones I struggled with air bubbles.

For the most part we move in 0.2u increments, which is one line on the U-100 1/2 markings syringes. A few of us have been known to work in smaller doses at times - I like 0.1u increments now and then, and Gator is the only one I've seen with the talent to measure out 0.05 increments. :) I tried fat & skinny 0.1s at one point, which is probably the same thing, but found I couldn't do it very consistently. Mostly people stick to 0.2 increments, unless their cat seems unusually sensitive to the changes, or for some reason the 0.2s just aren't working and you want to try something in between.

4. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

I use the same ones that Joanna does, and as she said, they are the same size/length/gauge/everything as Gator's link, just a different brand. They are the only U-100 syringes I have used, so I have nothing to compare them to, but I do love them. Buzz doesn't even notice the needle going in, and the plunger is easy to use and they are easy to read....just great. :)

5. Gator & H (GA)

I'm pretty sure the Monoject ones and the GNP ones are the same. I've had both here to compare. I'm pretty sure they are both made by Tyco. And the GNP ones are a few dollars cheaper - so that's the reasoning to my madness. And one can buy from Hocks and not have to have a prescription. Here in CA I would need a prescription to buy from Wal-Mart.

My comment about the 0.05U adjustments was that I do that sometimes with H. Not that you should necessarily. Others here will call such a dose "slim" like a slim 0.5U would be something I would call a 0.45U dose.

6. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Good to know about the walmart ones. I was going to buy some tomorrow but, I already ordered some from hocks. Will Let you Know.
    David

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I wonder if it varies by county then? When I got them at W-M in CA I didn't need a prescription, but they did have me sign for them in a notebook. I read somewhere they give that to the police periodically, so they can keep an eye out for potential dealers/abusers, whatever. I wonder if you end up shooting QID or something if then the police would knock on your door? "Um yeah, it's for my cat..." might cause some eyebrow raising... LOL!

8. Gator & H (GA)

Hmmm, well I have to admit I never tried to actually buy them from Wal-Mart. But, I've tried to buy from multiple other pharmacies here in SoCal and they always say I need a prescription. Maybe we just have more druggies down here :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.