Recurring UTI

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cmonmiracle, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

Avery's results are in for blood work and urinalysis, but we're still waiting on culture. She's had this stubborn UTI since before her diagnosis in early March. The first time she was put on clavaseptin for two weeks. It seemed to clear up and her urinalysis came back clear.

After a week of being off the antibiotics, she was showing symptoms again. This time, they took an x-ray and blood work and diagnosed her with DM and hyper-T. They put her on another round of clavaseptin for a month.

Again, it's been a week without antibiotics, and she's back to peeing outside the box. The vet is waiting for the culture before she prescribes her another round.

Is there something I can be doing to help prevent recurrence? Supplements?

(Labs are in my spreadsheet, ultrasound came back "unremarkable").

2. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

When my Sandi (GA) was having multiple UTIs, the vet suggested I try cranberry in supplement form.
    The most important thing, according to the vet, was that it be the purest form of cranberry - no sugar or added flavorings, etc.

I found one at a food coop after consulting with their supplement expert (so to speak).

Mind you Sandi was quite elderly and had some CK issues. But it did seem to help with her UTIs.

The instruction I was given was to mix the equivalent of 1/4 of a human dose once a day to her food.

The easiest form I found was powder in capsules. Just open the capsule and shake some out.

cmonmiracle likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I've read on here many times that people have had success giving d-mannose supplement. It's related to something in cranberries.

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

D-mannose is actually the active ingredient of the cranberries without the components in cranberries that are not very cat friendly, I've been using it with Babu (and one of my civies ) with very good results and no impact in his BG, he hasn't had an UTI since, it is supposed to work very well with e-coli (that's what Babu had )I'm not sure if it would work with some other bacteria since it does not actually kill the bacteria more like washes it away.

One thing if he is already showing symptoms and discomfort it may be prudent to give them both and continue with the D-mannose after the antibiotics round to avoid it from coming back, although I've heard of some people who have controlled a flare just with D-mannose

5. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

This is interesting to me. I never knew any part of cranberries wasn't cat-friendly as the vet didn't seem to be aware either.

6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there's actual evidence of them causing any harm but they are very acidic which is good for humans not too much for cats since you do not want their urine PH ( or blood ) to be very acid, they have benzoic acid and a lot of sugar which in the case of our sugar babies is not too good either

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  7. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

another vote for D Mannose... I am not a fan of the cranberry either. I used to get UTIs and cranberry was like throwing gas on the fire:eek:
    My vet still swears by cranberry comfort and maybe is ok if no infection as precaution but D Mannose is pretty amazing and easy to use with no side effects other than good ones.

Magic Johnson and cmonmiracle like this.
  8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi! I’d vote for D-Mannose also. It’s the active ingredient in cranberries so it should help without all the additional things you don’t need. Plus it’s probably easier to get kitties to eat it than cranberries! Your pH is high which is something to keep an eye on as it can cause struvite crystals (not saying it WILL just that it could).

Let us know what the culture says. That should tell you the best AB to use which may be why it’s recurring. Until you hear back, I’d try D Mannose and just get as much water as possible in. That should help.

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Some UTI's require more than 2 weeks of treatment. I would wait until the culture comes back since that will also show the best antibiotic to use since it man not be clavaseptin. For info for others. clavaseptin is just another trade name for Clavamox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.