Reduced dose but very low nadir?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sam-cat, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

Thanks so much for your advice about lowering his dose. Even though vet said to stick with the 2 units I am so grateful for the backing from you guys to stick to my gut feeling that was too much.

So... generally BG has been better? But very low BG today at 6 hours today 2.8...totally scared to think what it might have been had he had the 2 units in the morning. He was active all morning. I was at home and was busy doing things so he was 'helping' rather than being sofa-sam. Would that be enough to account for the drop? Luckily it came up quickly when he ate something and that would be a time that he would have his lunch (on a timer) when I'm at work. But I do find it scary for it to be so low.

Any advice very much appreciated
    Tess and sam

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This 1.3 u dose is too high. Why not try what we call a "fat" 1 u, ie., draw up insulin to the point where it's just touching the bottom of the 1 u mark on the barrel.

3. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

That sounds like a good idea. I am using the U40 syringes ATM and am wondering if my estimate of 1.25 is maybe over that. So if I just take it down to just over 1 that would be better.

Do find it scary that is half what the vet thinks I should be giving him???

On the other hand good that he is responding to a lower dose??

Thanks for hour help.

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

My vet was the same way when I still had my Smoky around. He started him on two units which could have landed him in the ER. I'm so glad the folks on this board were there to help me figure it all out.
    By the way, I used an alpha trak meter for doing curves and a Relion micro for everyday testing.

5. Wesley and Spicoli

Wesley and Spicoli Member

Most vets (including mine) are starting our sugar cats out on WAY too high of a dose, so don't let that scare you. Looks like he hit a lime green today even with your reduced dose. I'm a fellow prozinc user and lime green = earned reduction, should reduce even more like Kris said.

It's great he's responding to a lower dose!! His pancreas may have spent enough time in healing numbers for it to start working a bit better :)

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Not really, unfortunately, like the couple other members stated their Vet's had their kitty's on too high a dose as well. I've seen a couple kitty's that their Vet had them up to 5-7 units:eek: before coming here and they ended up needing less than 2 units, one even went into remission :woot:. Their beans kind of decided to listen to the experienced members here who live with or have had a sugar kitty 24/7/365 :cat:. Personally, I am one of those people who decided not to consult a Vet about my boy's diabetes and dose changes. I chose to listen and learn what the other members here taught me and am trying doing the same in return :)
    Indeed! :cat:
    Will be checking in to see how the Fat 1.0U does. It's also easier to measure :smuggrin:. Let me know if you need pictures. I'm a visual person so I now have a U-40 syringe and a U-100 syringe that I'm keeping just for photos of doses :)

Kris & Teasel and Rachel like this.
  7. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

I think that what I find most scary about the vets advice is how low his BG might have gone on the 2 units!

He is higher this morning - 15.9 - but gave him the fat 1 unit. Might be higher because he dropped so low yesterday???

Though vet says that doesn't happen either:banghead:

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, he's bouncing in response to those lows. Your vet isn't well versed in the nuances of kitty's responses to insulin. As we often tell people, keep your vet if you like him/her for everything else and treat the FD on your own with help from FDMB. :);)

9. Sam-cat

Sam-cat Member

Think that is what we will be doing with vets. We are in a very rural area and at a guess the only one that *might* be better is too far away. They are good vets and I accept that no vet is going to know everything about everything. But it is scary that they have given is bad advice that could have had awful consequences for Sam.

Very glad I have found this board as there is so much knowledge here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.