Reduced dose, numbers steady, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Leigh B, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

You all have been so helpful to me about my Murphy's dosing of Prozinc.

Based off of MrWorfMen's Mom's observation, I have reduced his dosage over the last several days. To my surprise, his BG has not gotten higher. In fact, the numbers are probably averaging lower.
    I would love it if you would take a look at his chart and giving me your feedback?
    He DOES still have some loose stool issues. I'm planning on getting him some meds for that Monday.
    Should I keep reducing the dosage?
    I have noticed him drinking water, but he does not seem to have a significant amount of urine.
    Just throwing all of the "little facts" your way, in case they are significant.
    Thanks again for your help!
    @MrWorfMen's Mom

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Haven't forgotten you. I suggest you reduce the dose to 2u for both morning and night shots. Not sure why you continued with the 2.5u for the day cycles. Better to shoot the same dose consistently so you can see what 2u is really doing for Murphy. Numbers do appear to have improved a bit with the reduction but only with consistent dosing will you know for sure.
    There is little data for the night cycles and without it you really only see half the picture. Getting a BG reading every night before you turn in helps to fill in the gaps. You may not see exactly how low BG is going but a test in the early hours of the night cycle can provide clues as to where BG is headed.

Keep observing water intake and output and general demeanour as those observations speak volumes too....sometimes as much or more than the numbers. :)

3. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

I am seeing more red and black lately.
    I'm going to stick with the 2 units twice a day.
    He was by the water bowl a good bit this morning, but I haven't noticed him drinking a significant amount since.

What are your thoughts on the dosing? Keep at 2 for a bit more?
    Is it possible that these high numbers indicate I should try backing down further? The bouncing from too much insulin he's experienced in the past has me confused!
    Thanks!

Good night.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

Looks like Murphy needs a bit more juice. Do you have half unit markings on your syringes? I'd increase the dose to 2.25u and see if that helps bring those numbers back down.

One question, when you take those pre-shot tests, has Murphy been fasting for at least 2 hours? I noticed the notation on the 25th about snacking at +11. It's really important to make sure the pre-shot tests are not food influenced.

5. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

These syringes my vet has been carrying lately do not have the half mark. I have asked them to try to get some back in inventory. Do you know of somewhere else that I might be able to access them? I believe they require a prescription, so I may just have to rely on my vet to try to keep looking.
    Either way, I will try to get his doses as close to 2.25 as I can.
    About the feeding, that is something else I'm confused about. On this site, I have had a few people say that it is okay, actually encouraged me, to free feed. I have two cats (only one diabetic, but they get the same food), and was previously only feeding twice a day when dosing. It was recommended to me that if I have the dose correct, and I'm feeding food that is "approved," it is okay for him to free feed.
    That confused me a bit, because I felt like it would skew the BG tests if he had just eaten.
    Let me know your thoughts on that. Obviously, in my notes, I have noticed him eating within 2 hours of testing. The only way I know to avoid that is to go back to feeding twice a day. The only dose I know for sure he has not had food prior to is his morning test.
    Again, sorry for all of the extra questions. I appreciate your input and advise.
    The good news is that Murphy is in really good spirits. And he has not been pooping outside the box since his dose has been decreased. (Great news for Mama ). The lower dose seems to have helped with some of his stomach issues.
    ***Update*** I just spoke with my vet and they are going to write me a prescription for syringes with 1/2 units.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Reason for edit: Update
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

On the food front, the only time you need to keep food out of the picture is for the pre-shot tests. For those you want to know that BG is high enough to give insulin without food influence. Otherwise free feeding is fine. If picking up the dishes 2 hours pre-shot is an issue at certain times due to work hours or wanting to sleep a little longer etc., you could consider a timed feeder. The PetSafe feeder is quite popular here and folks set it up to offer a snack or two during each 12 hour cycle. That way, you can set the food up, set the timer and the cats would be able to snack periodically. Not exactly free feeding but same idea.

Not sure what the syringes situation is in AL. I think you can buy syringes over the counter but you may be limited to 10 syringes without a prescription. Every state has adopted their own policies/regulations. If that is the case, would your vet be willing to give you a script? If so you can order the syringes online at ADWdiabetes.com.

7. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Thank you!! At 164 before his shot.
    You think I'm still good to do 2.25? I get nervous when we get blue and yellow :D

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes as long as you can get a test in at +2 to see if BG is dropping and a before bed test, I think you'll be fine. If BG is the same as pre-shot or dropping at +2 give Murphy some food and retest in an hour to make sure he doesn't drop too low. I don't think he will go low....I expect BG might go up from the lower readings today but you just never know with these litter critters.