Reducing BG testing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Becki and sox, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

So Sox seems to have leveled out again. Just thinking would you guys still test twice a day like I am or maybe drop to testing once every day or every other day now?

Thanks guys?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I would drop to less testing. That's one of the benefits of remission! Congratulations. :cat:

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Becki, you can definitely back off on the testing. Testing once a week would be more than sufficient at this point in time and you could even drop back to once a month if numbers stay in the green. If you get a reading like the 130 the other day, then feed Sox and test again 3 or 4 hours later to see if his BG has dropped down. If it has, then his pancreas is working as it should and its likely the higher reading was just a one off thing. If you start getting more higher numbers, then you can ramp up testing a bit more to ensure you catch any indication that Sox is losing remission. If you see a sustained rise in BG, there may be an infection or dental issue looming. Getting it checked out early could keep Sox in remission. :D

Becki and sox likes this.
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I agree that you could drop back to once/week, but honestly I wouldn't drop back to once/month. Between Sam having green numbers, and him falling out of remission, it only took two weeks.

5. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yeah I'll probably drop to every other day first then see how we go from there.

Just seems scary now not testing him as it's the norm now but we've had decent numbers now for 2 months so think I can relax a little now.

I think from readings I've gathered the past 2 months I think some blues are just going to be the norm for Sox as we are getting blues but they always go back to greens.

Djamila likes this.
  6. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I think I'll aim to head towards this once I've done the every other day for a few weeks :D

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Good point. Better to catch any rising numbers ASAP!

8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I don't think most cats fall off the cliff as quickly and dramatically as Sam did, but of course there's no way to know until it's already happened. :facepalm: