Reducing BG testing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Becki and sox, May 3, 2019.

1. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Hi guys just wondering now as Sox seems to leveled out again slightly with exception of his AMPS do we think I would be ok to drop back to testing every other day again?
    Or would you carry on as I am for now?
    @Djamila @MrWorfMen's Mom

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I think you'd be fine checking him every other day. Interesting how his AM readings are higher than the rest and wonder if that could be his reaction to an extended period without food overnight?

Becki and sox and Djamila like this.
  3. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yes I was wondering that... Not got much way round it really though.
    And why it's happened now when he used to be green in the morning. It's very odd.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Can't remember if you have any other furry critters or not but if Sox is an only fur child, you could invest in a timed feeder set to feed him a snack in the latter part of the night cycle around +9 of the cycle or thereabouts. As to why this is happening now, I have no idea. Just as the dose of insulin changes while we get these guys regulated and their BG goes up and down for no apparent reason, it's the same without insulin in the picture. Maybe that is a more normal pattern for Sox that you just were never aware of pre-diagnosis. The food may have nothing to do with it but it's the one thing I can think of to try.

Djamila likes this.
  5. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

He's 1 of 4 kitties so would snack on any extra food left as he is greedy :joyful: lol

Possibly... Suppose we just never no will we.

I'll reduce the trading back down now and see how we go again.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Oh how my boy made me scratch my head while he was in remission :p. Kept saying, "I wonder if you were like this before diabetes". Might have explained his bouncing on insulin because he was bouncing a little when he was OTJ, lol!

For your original question to reducing testing, I'm with Linda and I think you can do every other day :). I probably still would have caught my boy if I had switched to every other day and gave his ears a little break :oops:. Also, that +9 snack really works for Maury :cat: - On and Off the Juice.

7. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yeah I think I might start trying that with Sox cause I am noticing a trend in his numbers.
    If he's in the greens in the morning there's no meowing at all. If he's meowing his head off I know he's going to be in the blue numbers.
    Might start setting the cat feeder just with a small amount in for him see if that helps.

8. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Or I might carry on testing again for a while... He's chucked me another blue number now tonight :(

9. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Maybe he just missed the attention ;)

10. Yong & Maury GA

Don't fret too much over the blue numbers... don't get blue over the blues :cool:. If I remember correctly, there is a 20% variation in the readings so a reading of 80 could show as a range of 64 - 96. When Maury started coming out of remission it wasn't strictly the yellow PS numbers he gave me but his natural nadirs weren't going as low. The important thing is you're keeping an eye on him :).

Like Djamila states, maybe he just misses the attention so grab a few extra tests and see if that helps, lol :smuggrin:.

Becki and sox likes this.
  11. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Haha yes maybe :smuggrin:

Yes I know what you meen at the moment luckly Sox is still dropping to a nice low number in the day which is good.

12. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

And I'm also wondering if he was just a naturally bouncy cat AM and PM before been diagnosed :facepalm:

13. Yong & Maury GA

I wondered that too with my boy, lol. I've decided that my next kitty will get some random tests just so I know beforehand :p.

14. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yes I do that now with my other 3 kitties they get a monthly test.

Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.