Refilling Solostar Pens at Walgreen's

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Casey Warner, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

I'm having a problem placing my first refill of Lantus Solostar pens and want to make sure I'm understanding how this works before speaking with the pharmacist, in case I need to argue.

Back in June, the vet called in a prescription of Lantus Solostar to Walgreen's. The whole thing is a blur to me but I vaguely remember calling the pharmacy and asking for one pen and was told it was $88.99. According to my receipt, it indicates I have 1 refill before June 2019. It lists a Quantity as 3, but I'm not sure what that refers to as it may have nothing to do with refills. When I called the other week, I was told it has something to do with the units and/or ml in the pen, but it didn't make sense to me.

Today I tried to place a refill over the phone after hours and became confused. The automated system said something about a count of 5 that lasts 28 days. I'm assuming they're talking about 5 pens. If the vet called in a pack of pens, then shouldn't I have 4 pens left (from the original pack) plus a refill of 5 pens that consists of a grand total of 9 remaining pens? I'm not sure if the vet called in just one pen or a pack of 5. As it was, she had never had a client/patient use an insulin pen before. So trying to get that all straightened out was problem enough.

Last year the vet prescribed a large quantity of Lactulose for another cat and Costco pharmacy said I could just get half the amount at about half the price. They said they'd note that in the computer so that I could come back later and get the remaining amount and it doesn't count as a refill.

So shouldn't these pens work the same way? I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before?

Since I'm on the topic, has anyone tried using any online coupons or the goodrx card to get a discount on these pens?

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I can't answer. It depends what you get called in. But if you state 1 refill before 6/2019. Your not going to make it without another script.

I get mine and most people here from Mark's Marine in Canada. 5 pens for under $200.00.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Goodrx only shows you how much you'll pay at different pharmacies in your area...they're no real "discount" and those "savings cards" don't work.

Most of us buy our Lantus from Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada. Here's the information on buying insulin from Canada

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Some pharmacies will sell a single pen. Based on the current cost of Lantus, that is about $88.

The pens do come in a boxed set of 5 pens. You may need to talk to the pharmacist to sort out what they dispensed the first time. I'm guessing it was 1 pen since a box costs around $400 if you buy Lantus in the US. As others have noted, the cost of purchasing is a lot less if you're mail ordering from Canada.