Refrigerate in-use Lantus SoloSTAR pens or not?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tom & Thomas (GA), Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Today my pack of Lantus pens from Mark's Marine arrived. Many thanks to the board for making me aware of this option.

The instructions that came with the pens say pretty explicitly that an in-use pen "must not be stored in the refrigerator." For the vial, however, they do give refrigeration as an option.

An info page on the Lantus etc forum suggests that people refrigerate both in-use vials and in-use pens/cartridges.

Which should I do after I break out my first pen tomorrow morning? Does the warning against refrigeration apply only when the pen is used as a pen and not as a mini-vial?

Thanks much. - Tom

P.S. Should I have posted this in Lantus / Basaglar and Levemir? If so, my apologies. It looked to me like the posts on that board are just about dosing issues.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes...exactly....the "dial-a-dose" mechanism that humans use can "stick" if the pen is refrigerated but since we're using regular insulin syringes to pull the insulin out, we don't have that problem so they should all stay in the fridge

3. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Ah, super! Thanks, Chris.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.