Refrigerate Insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CrookMom, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrookMom

CrookMom New Member

Very new to all this, but I’m pretty sure my vet told me to keep the vial of insulin in the refrigerator, but today my husband looked at the packing insert and it said to keep it at room temperature once opened. So, should it be kept refrigerated or not? I don’t want it to ruin it by doing the wrong thing. It’s too expensive to let go bad. We are using Novolin-N (I’ve read on the forums that it’s not the best, but it’s what our vet prescribed). Please advise. Thanks

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I have no experience with that type of insulin. Maybe someone who does will chime in. It is possible that while it is 'okay' to leave it at room temp, it may last longer refrigerated. That is the case with the Levemir pens.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

You should store the insulin in the fridge. If you read the packing insert, it will tell you it's safe to leave out of the fridge for a period of 42 days and then any remaining should be discarded. Leaving it in the fridge will keep it from spoiling well beyond the manufacturer's suggested timeline (approx. 3-6 months depending on expiry on vial) which is important when dealing with the small doses our kitties need. Humans go through the vials much quicker so leaving it out of the fridge is really just for comfort sake of not injecting large amounts of cold insulin.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

To maximize life, store the in-use vial in the fridge like one would store an unpunctured vial in the fridge. I have used without problems and with no noticeable decrease in efficity of N insulin that has been punctured for well over a year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.