Regrouping Sushi after hypo

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sushi The Cat, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

@Squalliesmom @Sue and Oliver (GA)

Here we are in a new thread! :cat:

He hasn't been consistent today so far, but I think after the past2 days it will take a while until he goes back to where we were again... But behaviourwise he is great now! So I am not worried...

I am almost out of strips, but my Husband was in charge of that... Should have more tomorrow...

When he was diagnosed he was with 26... We did frutosamine test also. I don't have the numbers of his first curves because he was on ketoacidosis and wasn't eating anything... 0.5 unit was enough to get him at 4. The day he started eating he came home (16/10) and he only had one glucose reading at the vet that isn't in the spreadsheet. I am pretty sure it was something in the mid 20s...

Love,

Sara

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like he is coming down a little. Do you feel he is in good enough ranges that you can go see your parents? Then, maybe when you are back and monitoring, raise the dose to 2.25 and see how he looks?

Sushi The Cat likes this.
  3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I know with Squallie I have sometimes had to lower his dosage, even when his numbers have been high, to get him to level out a bit for a while and stop those big drops, and then raise his dose gradually until his numbers start to come down all around. I probably didn't state that very clearly, but I'm hoping you get the gist of it!

4. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Good evening, Dear Ladies! :cat:

I don't think he is in the same numbers he was in before yet, but I think that after tonight and tomorrow morning I'll be able to be with my parents somewhere else...

And yes, I will keep him with 2 units for a while and then I will check with the vet about raising to 2.25. But that would be my next step too. :)
    I am going to need so much help!!! :bighug:

Lots of Love,
    Sara

5. Squalliesmom

Sara, you're doing a wonderful job! I hope you have a marvelous time with your parents. :) Keep up the good work, and let us know how Sushi fares! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Hey Lucy!!

How are you today? :)

Thank you so much for your support! I am doing my best...

Sushi's numbers are still a bit weird and aren't dropping as well as were before, but aren't also going up as much (have you seen it?)... I think I'll have to take that... Lol... He is cheered up and completely himself, so I am not worried at all...
    Anyway, I still have 2 days to be spoiled by my parents safely!! :woot:

Lots of Love!:bighug:

Sara

7. Squalliesmom

Yes, I did see, that's fantastic! And I'm glad he's completely himself again. Go enjoy being spoiled, and we want to hear, afterward, about all the fun things you did, lol! :D:bighug:

8. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Good evening, Sweet Lucy! ;)

I'll tell you everything about it! :)

I just wanted to say that I went to the vet to return some tins of Purina DM (because our lordship doesn't like it anymore) and the vet called me... She advised me to keep him on the 2 units but she also thinks it may be worth a try to reduce him to 1.5 units and check if we are not giving him too much insulin now. She told me that she will give it some thought until next Monday, I'll make another curve on Sunday day and some part of the night and we will discuss that afterwards. She says that we might also have to consider changing to another insulin, even though they have more experience with Caninsulin... Our vet seems to be doing a good job, isn't she? I think that we have created a good relationship so far...

Love,
    Sara
    :bighug:

9. Squalliesmom

Sara, I think your vetty bean is doing a fantastic job!
    Exactly what I was hoping she would suggest! I think dropping him down to 1.5U is a super idea. It's hard, when you see all those high numbers, to believe that lowering the dose will help, but it is so often the right answer! This seems to be especially true with Caninsulin/Vetsulin, in my experience. It can be tricky to work with, but it certainly has done very well for Squallie in the long run, once I figured it out.

I am so pleased for you that you have such a good vet. I had to leave the one I'd had for years because we were going to come to figurative blows over Squallie's treatment (wanted me to give him very high carb "Rx" $$ dry food, which had him on 7U of insulin 2x daily :eek:, and told me in no uncertain terms NOT to test him at home, said by feeding him Fancy Feast low carb and testing before shots that I was going to kill him!!!) Fortunately, I also found an awesome vet who is great with diabetic kitties. :)
    LOL, been down that road many times with my IBD kitty, the little stinker! :cat:

10. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

@Squalliesmom

Hello Lucy! :)

How are you, Sweetie?
    Well, I was still able to have a wonderful 3 days with my parents! We went to Victoria & Albert Museum, to the British Museum, Lots of strolls around Piccadilly, Regent Street, Oxford Street! Some lovely gifts!! Got some pairs of gloves and 1 pair of wellies. Lots of hugs and kisses...and waffles!! It was lovely!!

Now this sugar kitty isn't doing so well... The change in routine doesn't seem to have worked for him... I am almost 100% sure that he hasn't been eating well because I wasn't home and that his BG is completely out control since that 2.5 units fiasco. So he lost weight. He was 3,030kg 10 days ago...right before that atempt to raise insulin. Now he is with 2,840kg. He doesn't seem nauseous like when he started being on ketoacidosis. Both of my cats don't eat if we are not home or we are sleeping. They just sleep. Anyway, I will try to steal some urine to test without stressing him. It hasn't worked so far...he gets really stressed from being contained and doesn't like me hanging around while in the litter box.

I am doing his curve today and tomorrow I am going to drop it at the vet. I think some action is needed... Maybe drop his insulin dose is in order this week. Yes, our vet is really good, isn't she? She really worries and does that extra effort to help... ;)

Should I already be concerned, Sweetie?
    We really need to be able to get to some balance because all our money is gone and I will eventually get a job during the week (all fingers crossed) and won't be around so much... I really love Sushi, but this is putting a lot of strain in our relationship and life...

Lots of Love,

Sara

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  11. Squalliesmom

Hi Sara, glad to hear you had such a wonderful time with your parents!:)

Sorry to hear that Sushi hasn't fared well. :( Is he eating now that you are home with him? It's very important that he eat. Yes, please test his urine for ketones, too, as soon as possible.

I looked at Sushi's spreadsheet; it's possible that he may still be bouncing, Those very low numbers at +5 and +6, combined with the high AMPS/PMPS numbers are what make me suspect this. Another point to bring up to your vet, maybe. I don't know if you are aware of this, but it is possible to share your spreadsheet online with your vet. That's what I have done, my vet checks it at least once a week, and has immediate access to it if I need to call about a problem.

I will tell you what everybody here always stressed to me: this is a marathon, not a sprint. Sometimes it takes longer than you feel like it should to get your baby's numbers down and under some kind of control, but don't despair. It is eminently do-able! It may not happen this week or next, or even next month, but you and your vet will get this sorted out! So stay strong and hang in there with it. We're all here pulling for you!

Lucy:bighug:

12. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Hi Lucy!
    So good to "read" you again!

He has been eating today, since we are home... When he is at lower numbers he is slower and just wants to sleep, as soon as they start going up, he goes back to normal... I know that we can share the spreadsheet, I have it shared with my husband, but my vet is an older lady and prefers paper. Anyway, I haven't suggested that to her so it may be worth a shot!

I am exhausted, you know... Of course you know... :( But today I had a meltdown at 6.30 am and stormed out of the room because Sushi ran away with the syringe stuck to his neck and my husband was able to give him to shot alone! Alone! First time! I fell asleep and he also did the poke for the curve while I was knocked out...

I am not sure I can test his urine, but I will give it my best...as usual... Today, he chose not to pee and had me standing there waiting and started coughing from stress... Jesus...

Now that I caught his nadir, we are going for a walk until the next poke 2h from now... We need some us time... :)

You have no idea how your support is important to me... I am really grateful to have you in my life...
    Thank you, Sweetie...

Love,
    Sara

13. Squalliesmom

Aww, you're such a sweetheart! :) I am happy I can help you.

Sounds like you need to recover from your little holiday, maybe get an extra bit of sleep. My morning did not get off to an auspicious start, either; I woke up to find that my "problem child" (said with much love and understanding) had peed on my bed and soaked my down comforter all the way through. :( He is a sweet boy but he has "issues", poor baby. Thank heavens he is not the one with diabetes, I don't believe I could ever test or inject him!

Squallie is extremely private about his litter box habits, so I have to go through all sorts of strange behaviors to test his urine for ketones, lol. I stalk him through the house, lurking around corners and the like, making sure he doesn't see me (although he knows I'm there, just the same, the little stinker), until he steps into a litter box. Then I have to time things just perfectly so that he is going well enough that he won't just jump out of the box, but not so well that he is almost finished, either. Once the timing is established (in other words, once I've made a guess, lol) I sneak up on him in the box, and I wave the ketone stick madly around his nether regions and under him until I hope I have actually gotten some urine on it; Squallie invariably turns his head to look over his shoulder at me in absolute horror; not only have I violated his privacy but I'm acting like a mad woman, so I think he's pretty sure I have lost my mind, lol! The things we do for our kitties!!!

Hope your stress comes down as your day goes on! I'll check back later to see how his curve is looking.

Lucy :bighug:

14. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Sweetie... I just had the meltdown in the morning because I was working at a Market yesterday all day and I was exhausted... After sleeping until 11 am, everything was great. Sushi was the one coughing because of litter box atempted indiscretion... Lol... I decided that stressing about his conditions and our financial situation wasn't really helping, so I came to terms with the reality. We can't really do more than we are already doing. We are now having an expense of around £200 a month just with Sushi's diabetes and asthma medications and monitoring, excluding cat food, litter, vet fees, etc... That is around 300 US dollars and more than we are now able to spend on our food in a month. We can't really afford meat, but we eat fish on weekends when I work at the farmers market and the fishmonger makes me a good deal.We will continue to push until we can... When and if we won't be able to do it anymore, I'll have to let go... But stressing definitely doesn't help at all!

I've done my share of crazy cat lady moves... Lol...so I know what you mean... :smuggrin:

The curve is clear and consistent in terms of nadir. But as you say, it goes quite low and raises quite high...That can be enough to make him unconfortable. He is not eating very well today, but he is eating regularly and he is a good mood.

what do you think, Sweetie? :bighug:

15. Squalliesmom

I know all about the expense, believe me! I have four little darlings, and two of them have chronic diseases that cost me lots of money to treat. I spend over $300.00 a month on cat food alone, even more when I factor in trips to the vet, meds and supplies, so I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Unfortunately I am disabled and live on a fixed income so it's critical that I spend wisely and cautiously!

You're doing a great job with the spreadsheet! I think it would be a good idea to ask your vet if she thinks a dose reduction is in order, when you see her tomorrow. Squallie is also caught in a bounce right now and it's very hard not to give him an increased dose when I see those high numbers, but if I do I just make the bounce continue even longer. :(

If Sushi doesn't seem to want to eat, you could try sprinkling a bit of Parmesan cheese over his food, or crumbling a low carb treat on top of it. Sometimes that helps. Hope he starts feeling better soon. :cat:

16. Squalliesmom

Hi Sara, just wondering how Sushi and you are doing today. Hope you're both having a good day! :) :cat: :)

Lucy

17. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

OH my Sweet Lucy!! :)
    How are you??
    I am having the most amazing day! It was very cold but sunny, Got offered coffee for free at my favourite coffee shop today, followed by half price italian gelato at my favourite ice cream store due to power cut! Lol!

Sushi already ate nearly 1 and half a tray of Lily's kitchen (150g) and the day hasn't ended yet... dropped the numbers at the vet after deciding to reduce him to 1.5 units today. I thought it wasn't safe because he might continuing not to eat...
    When I arrived home a few minutes ago, he was peeing and I went running to the strips... Didn't arrive in time and he had already covered it but I thought "What the hell! I am going to stick the testing strip on that urine clump! It won't hurt!"
    Tried 3 times with exactly 15 secs and the result was always the same... negative! I know that the urine is mixed with the clumping material, but negative is negative right? Lol... I know... I know... it can be contaminated but At least I tried... :rolleyes:

How are you today, Sweetheart???

I am really sorry to know that you are disabled and that makes your life extra hard... :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Love,
    Sara

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwnAqKXmBdD6SUR6SlNEZnhWSkk

Squalliesmom likes this.
  18. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Sara, I've been eavesdropping on your journey, and I just wanted to say how happy I am to see that things are looking up for you and Sushi today!

A great day once in a while certainly seems to strengthen one's resolve that everything is going to be ok, and here's to hoping that it continues :cat:

Best,
    Sandi.

Squalliesmom and Sushi The Cat like this.
  19. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Hi Sandi!! :)

Thank you so much for your kind words! So you have been supporting me in silence?! Nice to meet you!! :bighug:

Yes, it has been an amazing day and it hasn't ended yet...

Here's to us!! :cat:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  20. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Yep, me and a bunch of Sushi's honorary Aunts (and a few Uncles) are all here cheering you on, whether you hear from us directly or not :p

Great to meet you too!

Sushi The Cat and Squalliesmom like this.
  21. Squalliesmom

Squallie and the crew and I are good today. Thank you for asking! :) I'm glad to hear you're having such a wonderful day today, your description of it sounds lovely and brought a smile to my face! :)

I don't think the litter will contaminate the strip too badly, as long as the urine is fresh. I have done it myself a few times, lol. Congrats on Sushi being ketone-free, and to you for recognizing a great chance and jumping in there and taking advantage of it!

22. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

@Sandi & Whisper That is soooo amazing and sweet!!! Made my heart warm... Thank you! :bighug:

@Squalliesmom Hope you have a good day today as well! Thank you for your support... Have you seen the photo? I was amazed how that worked, but I was relieved that at least that seems to be ok... I'll have a ketone blood monitor very soon and it will be easier.
    I don't think I told you yet but Sushi also has a lump in the right side of his abdomen, right on the limit between the rib cage and the softer part of the tummy. Him losing weight concerns me for that too... The vet examined him very thoroughly and said that it is not a good idea to investigate while he is not regulated and we are out of funds anyway. Is it selfish for me to think that he has already been through enough and if it is not bad, there is nothing we need to do and if it is bad we will know soon enough and, cancerwise, where it is located, there is generally nothing that can be done anyway?

Love,
    Sara

23. Squalliesmom

Hi Sara! :)

Photo? I must not have seen it.

I'm so sorry to hear about the lump on Sushi's side! Has it been there very long? Fingers and paws crossed that it's just a benign lipoma and doesn't require any further treatment. No, I don't think you are selfish! I would just keep an eye on it for now, and if anything about it changes, notify the vet so they'll have a record of it, even if you can't afford immediate treatment.

I took a peek at Sushi's SS, saw he had some nice lows on Sunday, but then finished the day in high numbers again. Hoping those lows start to become a widespread pattern. Don't despair, remember this is a marathon, not a sprint! You'll get there! :):)

Have a great day, dear.

24. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Hey Lucy! ;)

I first felt the lump when he lost weight and we were testing to see what it could be... We eventually got to the ketoacidosis diagnosis. It hasn't changed in size or shape. It is not a very protuberant but continues to the inside of the cavity. Vet confirmed.

I don't think I'm in despair, I just don't understand why he doesn't eat on his own. He only eats enough if I feed him. And it is so fussy again. He only eats 2 flavours of lily's kitchen. I've tried 4 different brands and several flavours... And he hasn't been drinking and peeing so much. He is far from regulated yet... a little more than a week ago, he was eating a lot, drinking and peeing all the time... What the hell is going on now?
    It is not the same as when he had the ketoacidosis. When he had it he seemed to be super super hungry, but then he would try the food, drop it straight away, do a disgusted look and he would lick his whiskers for a very long time... It was like as if the food didn't taste good.

I'm like this now :blackeye:

Love,
    Sara

25. Squalliesmom

I've been down that road with Squallie, too. Sometimes he will only eat if I sit with him and feed him from a spoon! One thing that I find helpful is to crumble up a low carb treat on top of the food (I use freeze-dried chicken bites, they're not too expensive for my budget if I use them sparingly, lol). Others have had success with Forti Flora, it contains the same flavoring agent used in dry food that our kitties love so much, but it was a little steep for me. You could also try boiling or roasting a chicken breast and mixing a few bits of that in with his food. If he likes that, you can cut it up into small pieces and freeze it so you'll have some on hand.
    You can also try adding a little warm water, or microwaving his food for just a few seconds. The odor is more present when it is warm, and may help to encourage him to eat.

Just please make sure he is eating, it can be so dangerous for them to not eat! I would also suggest monitoring him for dehydration, since his water intake is lower. Have faith, things will get better! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

26. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Hum... Yes...but he is not eating the freeze dried treats at this moment... I have 5 different meats from 2 different brands... He hates homemade cooked chicken and fish...LOL... The fortiflora is indeed expensive! I don't know if I can try that... is it safe? It won't be bad for his BG? Won't it upset his tummy?

Juts talked to the vet! She is confused about him not eating enough and says that that is the only not so good thing... She thinks that in general he is doing great and that we are slowly reaching what we want. She told me to feel free to adapt his insulin as needed and reduce it to 1 unit during the night if I think he is not going to eat. I think I may do that... What do you think, Sweetie??

Love,

Sara

27. Squalliesmom

I think she's giving you some great advice! But he also does really need to eat, to avoid other complications. Is it possible for you to feed him smaller meals more frequently throughout the day? do you think that would help?

28. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Oh Sweetie... That is what I already do... I do that all day until I go to bed. It has been like that since he was back from the vet after the ketoacidosis. But he used to be more excited about the food and used to ask for it anyway. I ordered the fortiflora. It won't hurt to try it. What I find is that if he is pushed to eat between the shot and the nadir, consistently, he will eat acceptably, if not, he will have a lower BG number and he will not want to eat until the numbers start to be high again. For instance, today I am very sick with a cold/flu and I haven't slept through the night, so I fell asleep after his treatments and only woke up now, at the beginning of his nadir. He now refuses to eat. This is a lot of pressure for me...

How are you today, Sweetie? :bighug:

29. Squalliesmom

Sorry to hear about your cold/flu! Apparently I'm coming down with something as well, woke up terribly congested this morning and feeling pretty crappy. :( But the kitties need me...*sigh* Moms are not allowed to get sick! ;)

Is Sushi currently losing weight? How much has he lost in the past couple of weeks?

What photo did I miss?

30. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Oh noooo... I hope you get better soon... I am having a horrible day...

Sushi lost 190g since the 15th of November... He was with a steady weight since the ketoacidosis, which was exactly 1 month ago.

The photo is in the #17 of this thread, glued to my signature, after I sent :bighug:.

31. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Hello Sweetie
    How are you feeling today? I had a very hard day yesterday... Could barely move my head. I am feeling better today and I'll be able to go out.
    Sushi is still not very interested in eating...
    I am going to search the supermarket for the less good low carb stuff from the UK list. The Fortiflora will only be here tomorrow.
    I have been giving him 1.5units in the morning and 1 unit in the evening.

Love,
    Sara

32. Squalliesmom

Hi Sara, so glad you're feeling better today! I will feel better in a couple of days, my doctor called in a Rx for me that should help! Did you manage to find another food for Sushi to try?

If you can manage to get some tests in during the day, especially in the +3 - +5 range, it would help to see how well his dose is working for him. :)

I'm having guests today so I'm off to tidy the house and get dinner started, I probably won't be back here until late tonight. Have a great day!

Lucy :bighug::bighug::bighug:

33. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Hey Sweetie...

Hope you are feeling better
    I am off to bed now... It is over midnight now.
    Well... I was able to buy different foods but he rejected them all. He only eats the ones I only have one and that there is no way of me buying more. He hates one food one day and loves another, than I'll buy more of the one he loves. Afterwards he rejects it and just want the one he rejected a few days before and that I stopped buying. My husband had to leave at 9pm to try to find this food that he started to love just to find out that it is out of stock and that after he arrived home and the supermarket was closed, Sushi started to eat one that he hated 2 days ago and that I only had 1 tray left.
    He is with very high numbers at nadir with 1unit in the evening even though he is not eating properly... I have to think about what to do... But I have no idea. If I give him 1.5units during the night and he refuses to eat afterwards I won't be able to sleep...again...
    I will take those numbers tomorrow at nadir during the day with the 1.5 units.

This is driving us mad... I am exhausted. We are basically living around Sushi physically, mentally and financially and there is nothing left for us. I spend my days and part of the night pushing him to eat his food and switching foods around or searching for new foods to try. My parents were here for a week because we haven't been to Portugal for nearly 2 years and I was only able to be with them having fun for 3 days because after he had the hypo I couldn't leave him home alone. In those 3 days that I allowed myself he lost weight. We won't have any presents at the tree this year... We didn't have any last year as well because We had spent everything we had trying to save our other cat that eventually had to be put to sleep. We are always fighting...my husband is always working and when he is not, I am. When we are on holiday we can't do anything besides being home or around because we have no money. I have spent more money in different foods for Sushi in the last 2 weeks than I can spend in our own food in a month. I am starting to hate beans...
    I am not playing the victim here. I made theses choices because I always wanted the best for Sushi... All I've done was a choice. But Our best is not enough here... And If he doesn't start eating soon there is nothing else we can do. I have nothing else to offer.

I am sorry, Sweetie... I really do Love Sushi...a lot...

Hoping for a better day tomorrow...

Love.
    Sara

34. Squalliesmom

Oh Sara, I know you love Sushi and are doing everything you can for him! I'm sorry you're going through so much difficulty right now, but it will get better.

Remember, just as we have to adjust to having a diabetic cat and treating him, the kitty has to adjust, too. Some kitty's adjust right away, some take longer. They have to adjust to feeling bad on some days, and good on others; some days they'll feel okay part of the day and not so good the other part of the day. They have to adjust to (usually) a complete diet overhaul, and being tested and given shots. Sometimes it affects how other cats in the home may treat them. It's a lot of change and stress for a kitty who can't really reason out why this is all happening to him. His only real constant is YOU and your love for him.

I know the expense is a tremendous concern, but once he gets used to his "new" situation and figures out what food he'd like to eat (making the assumption that it's a food issue, not a health issue), even that will lessen some. So try to hang in there, and hubby too, till you start to see the improvement! BTW, I hate beans , too, and also that awful packaged macaroni and "cheese" you make with milk and margarine, just awful stuff, lol! I much prefer my wine and imported cheeses! Maybe next month...

Stay stong, love you, too, Sara!

Lucy:bighug::bighug::bighug:

35. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Thank you so much for you support, Dearest Lucy... You are a great Human being... I wish you were closer...

I have been fighting the odds with Sushi since 6 months after adopting him... Back then The vet wanted me to put him to sleep or return him to the shelter... "This cat is bad news!" He said...
    He was a terrible vet and a very stupid man...but this kinda of ilustrates what I have been through with Sushi...

Ok...there was nothing in the mail for us today, so I have just spent another day isolated in this house feeding the cat and waiting on something for the cat... No Fortiflora for today still!

It is almost night and now I have to go out to spend another boat load of money in more cat food that is mostly going to the bin!

And all my ketostix are ruined! I have no idea why! I closed the bottle tightly and stored them correctly... All the spongy ends were white and now they are all the colour of negative! And I have no money to buy more! I finally got some fresh urine! Just to find out that I had more money going down the drain...

I am sorry, Sweetie... I really love Sushi, but this is not working out. He was getting better, just to get worse again...after his asthma is finally under control. There is always something with this cat... It has been like this for months, even before the diagnose for diabetes. It is not his fault, I know... but it's not mine either. I have been trying to do everything I can so that he would be as stress free as possible and getting the best treatment possible. I don't exist anymore. I only speak to you and my husband most days. I can't leave the house often because I always have to do something for Sushi (pushing food, monitoring BG, waiting for a delivery) and when I do is to do something Sushi related. I am throwing away the equivalent to a night out with my husband every 3 days in food that Sushi doesn't eat and that is too much for me to feed the other cat. Yesterday I had 10 different open foods.
    Today, my husband left his work to buy the only freeze dried treats he still eats that are also the most expensive being sold.

I'll make the curve this Sunday as usual and I'll talk to the vet afterwards. I hope she has some brilliant idea because I can't do this anymore. I am sorry... I can't...

His numbers weren't very good at nadir today... I'll see if my husband can take more tomorrow while I'm at work...

Love,
    Sara

36. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sara, your going through a rough time all around. I have my sugar baby and 2 civvies. One civvie will only eat 1 flavor of 1 brand. And only about teaspoon at a time. So I'm constantly putting her dish down when she wants it. Sugar kitty is now requiring a different flavor for each meal. My other civvie won't eat the same thing twice in a row. So there are many open cans in my fridge. I guess they take after me, don't want to eat the same thing all the time. Of course last night they got some turkey (btw none will eat turkey cat food) only the sugar kitty ate it. Since I got Smokey 19 months ago, one of us is always home, usually me since hubby works out of state and stays there the 4 days he is working. My break is going and running errands like today is buying all their food and litter. And the 2 days I do work. It's a lot of work on our parts but we are now established in our routine. Even when my hubby is out raking leaves, shoveling snow, chopping wood he will set his phone alarm to check on Smokey if I'm not home and make sure he's okay and eats. We created our routine to work around our cats. We work together at it. It's normal for us now. You will find what works it just takes time. Trial and error, you'll get it.

37. Squalliesmom

Oh Sara, I'm so sorry you're having such a tough day. I guess we've all been there, and I know it's just terribly frustrating! I think, if you can hang in there until you find the "secret formula" that will get him to start eating again, that things will start to look up for you and Sushi (and hubby). I wish I was closer, too, I'd give you a great big hug and tell you it's all going to work out.

When Squallie was first diagnosed I went through the same things you are experiencing now. I went through SO much expensive food that he, or one of the other cats, wouldn't eat (all mine have to eat the same thing, it's too insane to try to feed them all different foods!). I ended up donating a very expensive, large bag of dry food to a shelter because he didn't like it, and when he did eat it it made his BG spike. I went through a whole bunch of mind-blowingly expensive canned foods, lots of different brands and flavors, that either no one would eat or my budget just couldn't sustain. And I also went through that same phase of never going out anywhere, taking car of Squall and too afraid to leave him in case something went wrong and he'd need me there. It was mind-numbing. I can't even tell you how I got through it, but I did, and you will, too.

When I was new here and so very frustrated, another member sent me my first pair of "Patience Pants." At first I didn't understand what she meant, but since then I have worn through at least three more pairs, lol. So I'm sending you a pair now, and when they wear out and you need another pair, just sing out! :) We all need Patience Pants, and the more outrageous, the better, lol!

club-neon-punk-rock-fashion-women-colorful-fringe-red-gold-font-b-Sequin-b-font-pants.jpg

Lots of hugs, dear, hang in there! :cat:

Love ya! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

38. Olive & Paula

So that's what they look like. Are those allowed in public???? :nailbiting:. Think sweats are more my comfort zone.

39. Squalliesmom

Lol, we have lots of different styles and colors!

40. Squalliesmom

Hello Sara, how are you and Sushi doing today? I hope you're having a better day than yesterday, that was a pretty tough one! Fingers and paws crossed that you and hubby will get to spend some time together doing "non-cat" things this weekend. :):):)

41. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Hey Sweetie!!! :)
    @Squalliesmom
    How are you today??
    I had an amazing day at work today!!! I am having a day so so so GOOD!! I was able to do a lot of trades at the farmers market where I work and I have 4 different types of cake, bread, 3 cheeses, fresh salmon fillet and A COOKED LOBSTER!!!! :woot:

We are going to have the most amazing dinner!

About Sushi... Everything is much better... He is eating again but only in the morning and in the evening. But it is eating more than enough! The Fortiflora is retained at the postoffice for the weekend because the mailman was too busy to ring my door and left just a postcard. But the parmesan trick works!

I have a mega question! He was with 13.4 now at pre-shot... He has been eating since I arrived home and that was 2h ago! I fed him more and 15mins later was still with only 16.7!
    I can't give him anything can I??? Help!!!

42. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

@Squalliesmom @woodsywife

Thank you so much for all your support and kind words... And patience!! And Patience!! This is a really lonely life...in a different country...away from all my family and trying to make ends meet...
    I definitely have decided to make some adjustments to make this work for us...
    And the pants... OMG!! Those Pants!!!! After this, I think I would wear them with pride!!!

Have I thanked you for your patience already???? :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Lots of Love!!!

Sara

Squalliesmom likes this.
  43. Olive & Paula

What time should I be there for dinner? Your menu sounds scrumptious.

How did Sushi get her name?

44. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

@woodsywife Because He is black like the algae used in one of our favourite foods... Sushi! :cat:
    Please join us!!! Asap...it is dinner time here in England! You are very welcome! :bighug:

Sweetie, can you help us? Lucy isn't around! Sushi has been eating really well today and at PMPS was with 13.4 (241). I gave him more food and tested again and it was 16.7 (301). His insulin dose was for with having around 500/600... Shall I guve him the shot? I was thinking about measuring again and if closer to 350 shoot with just 1 unit.
    What do you think??

45. Olive & Paula

Sara, the only thing I know about Caninsulin is that it's short term. If you don't hear from anyone else, you have to use your judgement. The 241 isn't that low. You have fed her and will feed her again so it will rise. I would think 1u or even her normal dose would be okay if your home and can check her. But again I don't know that insulin.

46. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

47. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

I gave him 1 unit, Sweetie! He went up to 400 after eating the whole tray of lily's kitchen! So even if he doesn't eat anything else today, I am almost 100% sure that he will be fine through the night!
    Thank you so much for your help and support!

And I am sorry... It has been a rough week! I am confident that things will get better very soon! Such a low number with him eating so well feels good...

Love,
    Sara

48. Olive & Paula

It does feel good to too see colors other than pink and red numbers. 241 (yellow) isn't low on ALPHA TRAC. The goal is to get those and lower numbers consistently.

49. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

I know it is not low... but it is low for Sushi... With his caninsulin dose... We suspected he was bouncing and he wasn't eating well last week and part of this week, lot weight, so we decided (me and the vet) that it would be safer to drop his 2.00 to 1.5 units. He NEVER EVER had nothing under 360 at pre-shot, particularly after eating 2/3 of a food tray in 2h. That is why, my experience with him told me that it could be risky...
    But yet, it is damn good to see those numbers!!! :smuggrin:

50. Squalliesmom

Hi Sara, so sorry I wasn't online earlier to help you! Giving 1 unit was fine, he probably would have been safe at 1.5 as well, but always better to err on the side of caution when you are unsure! Yes, the blues and yellows look great, don't they?!? Keep up the good work! And such a rrelief that he's eating again, whew!

I'm jealous of your dinner, lol. I'm so glad you had such a good day! :)

Lucy :bighug::bighug::bighug:

51. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Yes, now I know that 1.5 would probably be fine... but that number was such a surprise that I think I was a bit stuck there... Lol...

I wish you could have dinner here with us... There is splenty for 3 and definitely cake for around 10 hungry people... Lol... We have Peanut butter bars, ginger treacle cake, stolens and Double carrot cake... Lol...:bighug:

I don't know if I have enough strips for a curve tomorrow... the strips are also stuck at the postoffice... I have enough but not enough if something happens and I need to do some extra testing... I think it may be wise to hold it until Monday and do the curve then... What do you think?

52. Squalliesmom

Yes, good call, definitely wait till Monday to do your curve, if you are low on strips.

Dinner sounds delish and oh, the cakes, yummy-yummy-yummy! :joyful:

53. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

I wish I could share some with you... you would love them... The Guys that make them at our market are artists! :cat:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  54. Olive & Paula

Making me hungry again. Glad Sushi is okay.

55. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Hello!!!
    How are you today?

Well...here we are having a not so great day... It is good that I'll be making the curve tomorrow because after eating 2,5 trays of lily's kitchen yesterday and having great numbers, Sushi is not eating almost anything today... He licks little bits and walks away. As we speak I have 4 different foods on a tray on the floor... Not even the parmesan trick works... Well...he does eat the cheesy bits... Lol!
    He is weighing 2,80kg, less 40g than last week, but I don't consider that very relevant. He doesn't feel bonier than last week... Yesterday he was heavier...
    I honestly think that this is BG related... His BG must be all over the place, so he doesn't feel good when his numbers aren't so good... What do you think?
    Tomorrow I'll have the curve with more information and FortiFlora...FINALLY! Let's hope it works...if not...well...
    I also have to find a way to get more ketone strips...

Love,
    Sara

Squalliesmom likes this.
  56. Olive & Paula

It happens. Smokey didn't eat well yesterday and he was high. Today he is hitting the greens and I have to carefully not to give him to much so he will be hungry enough for dinner.

57. Squalliesmom

Hi Sara, I'm sorry to hear you are having a not-so-great day today. :( Squallie has days when he eats everything in sight and asks for more, and days when he hardly eats anything, and that only if I hand feed him. Right now his numbers are higher so he is ravenous. When they come down he won't be very interested in his food. You just get used to adjusting to dealing with it. I try to come up with different ways to encourage him to eat on those days he won't; sometimes they work and sometimes not *shrug*. Every cat is different, so it will vary , but I think in one fashion or another we have all experienced it. The little darlings will make us crazy if we let them, lol!

It would be good if you could get some mid-cycle tests for Sushi during the day, so we can get a better idea of how he is reacting to the insulin. With Caninsulin, you need both pre-shot numbers and nadirs to really be able to tell if the dose is working or if it needs to be raised/lowered. I try to get in at least one, preferably two, more tests (besides the pre-shots) during the day if I possibly can. Your curve will help, too. :)

Fingers and paws crossed that the Forti Flora helps! If not, we'll just have to brainstorm some more ideas. Don't worry, dear, we'll help you get it sorted! :)

Lucy:bighug::bighug::bighug:

58. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Hello Girls!! :)

He is not eating well but he is really well behaviourwise... Playful and good humoured...so I am not too worried...

I know I should take more readings at nadir besides the curve, but the strips are very expensive, so I got used to have the complete curve once a week and I take nadirs when there is a change in dosage or everytime I suspect something isn't right. The Alpha-TRAK was a gift from my inlaws and it is the same as the vet uses (she really likes that we use the same) that is why I use it... I have a friend whose daughter is diabetic that promised that she would bring me a human monitor, but I can't rush her. I also have one of those monitors that read ketones and BG on the way from Portugal, as the strips in € are much cheaper, but I also have to wait until December...

I am a bit nervous about him losing those 190g last week and that we had to reduce his insulin to 1.5units and now if he is having a bad eating day or evening I only feel confortable to give him 1 unit.

Oh well... tomorrow we'll know more and I'll have lots of strips again... I am doint the curve and I'll be giving him 1.5 at night too and take nadir readings through the night...

Again... I don't know what I would do without you...

Love,
    Sara

Squalliesmom likes this.
  59. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

So this curve isn't going that well... I couldn't get his nadir at his usual between +4 and +6... Or if I could it is a very high one at +4...
    I will continue to make the curve, but only every 2h...
    I think I will try to make every hour in the evening before the +4 to see what happens there...if anything... And I'll my numbers and notes at the vet tomorrow amd wait for the vet's ideas.
    I don't think this is working for Sushi... What do you think?

Love,
    Sara

60. Olive & Paula

Sara, curves are every 2 hrs for 12 hrs or every 3 hrs for 18 hours. You don't need to do every hour. Maybe the 3 hr one will work for sushi. Don't forget the treats.

61. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

I know...but my vet likes every hour in nadir... so that we don't miss the lowest number and I don't mind doing it for her... ;)

He refuses all the treats I have now and I have all the respectable freeze dried treats being sold in the UK at the moment, 15 altogether... From different brands I have freeze dried duck, chicken, liver, beef, tuna, white fish and a few that combine the above and some game as well...so...no treats for Sushi. And no...he hates cooked chicken, cooked fish etc... AH @Squalliesmom, Sweetie, he HATES THE VERY EXPENSIVE FORTIFLORA!

Yesterday I did our monthly budget with my husband and I can't continue to use our money like this or we won't be able to pay the bills while I am looking for a weekday job... I'll give him what I have, if he doesn't want it, I'll just leave it on the kitchen counter (where he likes to go when he thinks I am not looking) and he can get it whenever he wants... The other cat doesn't go there.

I've tried all the cheepest options low carb that I had in the supermarket closer to home and that were on the list... I will look around online what are the current low carb options in the less expensive foods, the uk equivalent to the ff... I can still try all those to see if he likes anything. So far I wasn't lucky...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  62. Squalliesmom

Oh, dear, I'm really sorry to hear he hates the Forti Flora, too. What was he eating before he was diagnosed? If he likes dry food, you may have to go to that - one of the lower carb ones, maybe mix in a little of the canned see if he will eat that. He's got to eat, so if it raises his BG he'll just get a larger insulin dose. Here is a link to one of the lower carb dry foods, on Amazon.uk, that a lot of folks here use:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVO-Turkey-...8&qid=1448891689&sr=8-9&keywords=Evo cat food

There is also Young Again Zero Carb but I don't know if it's available to you in the UK. It is probably lower carb than the Evo. It's more expensive but the cats eat a whole lot less at a time because it is very dense, so cost/consumption evens out. Both Evo and YAZC raise Squallie's BG, but don't seem to bother a lot of other cats.

If you don't already have this list, it might be of some help to you, too:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...nk-to-low-carb-food-list.137376/#post-1546544

Maybe leaving the food on the counter will do the trick, lol, if he gets satisfaction from feeling like he's sneaking it behind your back! :cat:

Sara, ask your vet if she thinks the Caninsulin is working for Sushi. It's probably the cheapest for your budget, but if it's not working well for Sushi then you're not really saving any $$. Maybe it's time to investigate Lantus?

Let me know what you think!

63. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

How are you today, Sweetie? Where in the US are you? Is it cold there? :cat:

Well... he always wants the other cat's dry food... He actually ate some one day and I didn't notice a BG rise...
    Sushi is a dry food kind of cat. He was all about the kibble! Favourite thing in the world... But he was eating so so well after coming from the vet in October and until my parents arrived here! I don't get it... All seems to have fallen apart since that hypo after we tried to raise from 2.0 units to 2.5 units! Do you know what I mean, Sweetie?

The other cat (the fatty one :p ) only eats around 17g of dry food a day on the evening meal, so that we can sleep through the night without him being hungry...
    He eats Orijen, which is 17% carbs. It's this one:
    http://www.orijen.ca/products/cat-food/?lang=en-uk

The EVO is definitely lower in carbs as it is under 10%...But it is mega expensive... If he doesn't like it, that would be a 2 week worth of our food down the drain... LOL!!! I can only laugh today...
    I am sorry... I know he is sick... But this looks like a comedy film!

Yes, I will drop these "stunning" numbers to my vet today and we'll have to have a chat afterwards as usual... I don't mind spending extra money on insulin if that means he'll have another chance... He uses such a small dose that it won't be that bad... I agree with you (and Chris @Chris & China ) that we may have to think about trying another insulin, even though the vets at our clinic feel more confortable with caninsulin. Besides being super fussy and refusing to eat between during the day (inbetween shot times) Sushi looks really well, it is energetic, asthma is under control and is not isolating himself like when he was in ketoacidosis...

Love,
    Sara

Squalliesmom likes this.
  64. Squalliesmom

I'm good today, Sara, thank you for asking. :) I live in Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay. It's actually been a fairly mild season so far, but to me, anything under about 75 degrees is too cold, lol!

Try contacting Evo through their website to see if they will send you a sample; most companies will!

If he likes the Orijen you could try crushing a small amount and sprinkling that on top of his wet food, maybe that will encourage him to eat. (My cats have never had the Orijen food but they go insane for Orijen's freeze-dried treats!)

As far as changing insulins goes, I think you have to consider your lifestlye, as well. I think Caninsulin is a fine insulin that can work well for some, especially people who have lots of time to devote to tweaking and adjusting it till it works; if you have a busy lifestyle you may not be able to put that kind of time in, and this needs to be part of your decision as to which insulin may work best for you and your kitty.

I'm glad to hear that, other than the food issues, Sushi is looking and doing so well. You are a very good Kitty Mom! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

65. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

LOL! Up until my parents were here, Sushi was crazy for the orijen freeze dried treats as well... I have all the flavours here and his absolute favourite, the original, doubled... Now his favourite actually made him gag twice, so I don't even try them anymore...
    I'll try crushing some os orijen dry in the pestle and mortar and see if it helps...

I understand... But what tweaks could I make now to his caninsulin dosage? What would you do? I looked at his numbers and my gut tells me that there is a great chance that change the caninsulin for every 8h instead of 12 could work... but that would not work in terms of schedule around here, specially if I can find a job during the week, adding to my Saturday one, in the next couple of months
    His numbers aren't great but he is never in the black area anymore... I came to the understanding that he only eats closer to the shot time, not a lot, but generally close to his daily needs. Some days much more than that, others a bit less and the food has too be rotated...

You live in such a beautiful place!!!! :cat:
    I used to live close to the beach too in Portugal... I miss that... a lot...

Love,
    Sara

66. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Just to add that I just did +5 number to check how he was before I went to bed and he is with 6.4 (115)... Which means that I can't go to bed yet because he isn't hungry and I can't risk hypo...
    I decided to give him 1.5 units in the evening too because he was very well at PM... That is why I don't know what and if there are any adjustments we can make with the caninsulin...

[UPDATE] Ah...and at this precise moment I am pretending not to see Sushi sneaking on the other cat's dry food... He is so so happy that the other left a few bits and eating one by one... He takes one out of the dish with his paw and eats it from the floor... like he always did... I think I may have to find a compromise and try to feed him exactly the same thing as his brother. Like always was... That means one meal of dry food a day in the evening before bed... What do you think? :)

I kinda don't care about remission at this point... I just want him regulated and happy... One meal medium carb won't hurt that much... :cat:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  67. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

It is great that I let him eat those biscuits, because he dropped even more... It is being a long long night... We are with 4.9 (88) at +6... After eating the kibble...

68. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Ok... Had to give him honey since he dropped to 2.9 (52) right now at +7... And he asked for more kibble, so I am just letting him have it... I definitely don't regret having let him have that sneaked kibble 2h ago...

69. Squalliesmom

Hi Sara, just jumped on here and saw you're having problems. You probably have already gone to bed, sorry to be so late to the "party." If you're still awake, let me know what his most recent numbers are, please?

70. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Hey Sweetie...6.2 (112)

71. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

I am sorry, but if I poke him every 30 mins, I always have the numbers in the same cell of the spreadsheet and they don't show in the US conversion... I am poking him the last time before going to bed... It is 3.40 am...

72. Sushi The Cat

Sushi The Cat Member

Ok... He is safe with 9.2 (166)... I think now it's a good time for me to go to bed... :cat:
    After all the dry food he ate this evening, he is going to have sugar coming out of his ears in the morning! :p

We'll catch up tomorrow, Sweetie!! And I'll start a new thread... this one is already enormous!

Love,
    Sara

73. Squalliesmom

Okay, those numbers seem pretty solid, doesn't seem like he will drop any further again tonight.

Get some good Zzzz"s, m'dear, and let me know how things are in the morning! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.