Regulating without Insulin - Got more questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

As most of you know by reading my previous posts we have been trying to regulate Harley without having to go to insulin.
    We have been having some very good results but I worry that we have hit a wall and I wonder if it is because of feeding issues.

We have been able to get our cats totally off dry food which stunned me because for years Harley wouldn't consider it. However, now they are all on wet food. I have been buying all sorts and flavors to see which they liked the most and have had some great luck.

I have taken Harley's BG each morning before a meal and each evening just before the meal.

With 4 adult male cats I have been feeding (2) 5.5 oz cans in the morning before we leave for work. They generally go right to eating but there is always food left in both bowls. I add (1) 5.5 oz can split between the bowls for them to eat during the day. When I get home the bowls are generally empty but sometimes they leave some. I test Harley, then feed (2) more cans of 5.5 cans. They generally start eating right away but usually have a bit left for a while.

Right before we go to bed at 10:ish I put out one of the small cans of fancy feast 3 oz. and in the morning that is gone and they seem very ready for breakfast. So it seems we have been feeding somewhere around 25 oz's a day for the 4 cats not counting treats for joint health.

Harley's BG seems to be a bit higher in the morning compared to his evening numbers and since they seem to be nocturnal eaters my questions are are this:

Am I feeding enough? Should I feed less in the day and more at night as we sleep. Should I feed more altogether? All my cats are different but Harley eats small amounts and then walks away while some of the others gorge more. As a reminder here are his numbers:

1/13/10 Wysong Uretic Vet taken 443
    1/23/10 Wellness Core Vet taken 341 Mid day
    1/26/10 1st day wet food 6:15 PM 287 BM (Before Meal)
    1/27/10 Wet 6:00 AM 204 BM
    1/27/10 Wet 6:00 PM 238 BM
    1/28/10 Wet 6:00 AM 225 BM
    1/28/10 Wet 6:00 PM 221 BM
    1/29/10 Wet 6:00 AM 241 BM
    1/29/10 Wet 6:00 PM 215 BM
    1/30/10 Wet 6:00 AM 238 BM

Today I am going to get some day time numbers to see where he is a different times

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

my guys would eat between 6 and 8 oz a day approximately...as yours adjust you'll know whether they gain weight or lose weight and adjust accordingly.

as for those numbers, they are borderline, and yes usually are higher in the am due to something I believe is called the dawn effect.

You are doing great. You may eventually need to give a small dose of insulin but that isn't quite clear yet

Jen

3. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

Just took Harley's first day time reading 2 1/2 hours after meal he is at 246

4 1/2 hours after morning mean 187!

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion, but I wouldn't mind seeing his numbers at other times thru the day besides meal time.

And good for u for switching to a wet food diet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.