? Regulation question for pet meters

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue484, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

You say on this form that you consider a cat well regulated if he is in low 200s preshot and double digits for nadir. But that is using US numbers and a human meter. What is anyone's best guess as to the rest of the world figures and also using a pet meter?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

200 USA equates to 11.1
    100 to 5

Thus PS below 11.1 and lowest below 5 but not too low, not below about 3.3

3. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Sue...as a guideline:

The AT2 meter is supposed to read close to the lab machines the vets use. My vet's machine uses a normal range as 3.95 to 8.84. Idexx uses a range of 4.0 to 9.7. So assuming the AT2 meter is comparable to the lab machines these ranges could be used as a "normal" range.

4. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Romulus usually nadirs in the normal ranges but his preshots are sometimes close to 11.1 but are usually around 18 or 19. I assume then that he isn't well regulated yet.

5. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Renal threshold is usually defined around 220 (12.2) - 280 (15.6) depending on the source and not dependent on meter/testing method. You are going to want to see Romulus staying under the top of those numbers at least before considering him regulated. Getting under that number will help minimize damage to other organs.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Mary Ann is spot on. I checked directly with Zoetis (now sole owner of the AT meter) and the AT meter does read as close as possible to lab values. I believe their testing was done against the IDEXX lab ranges.

7. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

My civie kitty Maxie (Tuxie sister) had a UTI and was VERY stressed about going to the vet. I had her blood work done when I took her in and her glucose was 14.3. After the antibiotics and of course when not being stressed she runs regularly around 3.5-7 depending on how long ago she ate. That will show you what an infection and stress can do :)

Sounds like Romulus is getting there but still not quite at the "normal" range.

8. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Yes, it certainly seems that he is very nearly there but just can't seem to shift from the 18/19 preshots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.