Rehoming non diabetic cat in 2 cat household

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Charlie's Angel, Dec 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie's Angel

Charlie's Angel New Member

My dear Charlie, 11 yo M DSH, was diagnosed as diabetic at the beginning of November, likely secondary to chronic pancreatitis. He was mostly great following his senior physical in early August other than being overweight.

Brought home a 5 month old female kitten for him to play with. Used to do cat rescue/socializing and he was fine with that. Also lived with my Cher from the time he was 8 weeks until she passed 2 years ago.

Elphaba is a whole nother story. She's not violent, but she is very aggressive, even for a kitten. I chose a female kitten to avoid alpha/fominance issues. No matter how much I try to gently correct her and show her attention so that she doesn't feel jealous, she still goes after Charlie.

I don't want to re-home her, but I live in an 850 sq ft apartment with four interconnected rooms. I've tried the feliway. Doesn't work. The way my apartment is set up, I can separate them without one feeling like they're being punished. I work 50 hours a week and live alone. I'm becoming desperate.

Does anyone have any suggestions? By the way, he's lost 3 lbs in the last 3 months since she moved in, and coordinating their feeding and monitoring his litter box habits is near nigh impossible. I am at my wit's end.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hi there! Can I ask how exactly Elphaba "goes after" Charlie? Is she trying to play roughly with him or just trying to become top cat by bullying him? I had a similar scenario recently so I'm curious.

We introduced a kitten shortly before my girl became diabetic. The kitten loved to rough house with my tomcat and he enjoyed playing until his arthritis kicked in so bad he was running from her while she would tackle him every chance she got. At the same time she was bullying my sick, newly diabetic girl who was considered top cat. She was about 5 months old as well at this time. After my girl got more regulated and health improved she ended up putting the kitten in her place rather promptly. She is female though, and as you know the girls are way more likely to butt heads.

How long have you had Elphaba? Is it possible she's taking advantage of Charlie being sick and trying to make herself top cat?

3. Charlie's Angel

Charlie's Angel New Member

I've had her since mid August. She's a total love for humans. But she will chase him and try to obtain dominance when he is not feeling well. She also is aggressive about his food, even if I give her something similar. Even though she's not aggressive in a necessarily alpha way, she keeps him on edge. He's often growling when she is nearby.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Try feliway multicat diffusers. I use three of them at a time. Really helps my crew

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Rescue Remedy also may help. Try also giving her extra play time to wear her out.

Do you have any cat trees? Giving Charlie a place to climb to also may help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.