relentless hunger

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mike R, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike R

Mike R New Member

I just recently started our jinx on Wellness canned food he was on dry food until his diabetic diagnosis and it just dosen't seem to be doing the job of satisfying his hunger am I being mean? is he really this hungry? FYI he is on .5U of lantus twice a day, he is about 9yrs old and,14lbs. PLEASE HELP

2. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

How much is he eating?

My civvies are on canned food only now and Bo anyway is a piggy. He whines and howls for more a few hours after he has eaten even when there is still food in the dish. He has done this for the last year and a half since I removed all dry from their diet.

And no, you are not being mean, you are doing right by him. I only wish Moochie would eat wet food.

3. Mike R

Mike R New Member

I AM giving him 2 cans a day which is the manufacturers suggestion for his weight

4. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

I'm sure he is getting enough to eat - he just doesn't think so :roll:

5. Mike R

Mike R New Member

I appreciate your response thanks for your time

6. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

an unregulated diabetic kitty can not process their food properly, hence the ravenous appetite. Although 14lbs sounds a lot, he can't process what he is getting properly.Keep an eye on his weight, if it stabilises you know what he's getting is somewhere to what he needs.
    Are you hometesting so have an idea where his numbers are at?

7. Mike R

Mike R New Member

yes i am home testing and we havent quite stabled out yet only 10 days into diabetic treatment

8. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Mike, only being 10 days into this you might want to give him an extra 1/2 can about 2hrs after he has eaten. When I first adopted Mishka almost 7 years ago, one can didn't do it. She could hoover down 2 cans at a sitting and still want more so I gave her 1 1/2 cans and then another 1 1/2 cans about 2 hrs. later. That seemed to help her. In the beginning they really are hungry and food and insulin all need to come together and it can take some time. Mishka had lost 10 1/2 lbs. before I got her so feeding her the amount I did was truly needed. I would try giving him a 1/2 can about 2 hrs. later and see if that helps. Eventually it will all even out.

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest giving him more food. When I started Maui on wet, I fed FF which are 3 ounce cans. She could eat 2 cans in one sitting alone! once the insulin kicked in and she got used to canned vs dry food, this slowly decreased to now, she grazes on what I put out without issue.

But at first, she would inhale the can, eat a second and on rare occasions look for more. After two cans, I would have her wait a bit and then feed her 1/2 can about an hour or two later.

10. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

I am sorry - I made an assumption that he was regulated. I should not have made that assumption.

Definitely agree that you should feed him more food if he is not yet regulated.

ETA - I am brain dead some days. It completely escaped my memory that you just switched insulins

11. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Yep, as long as his insulin dose isn't right, there will be times when he doesn't have enough in his blood. During those times his body will be starving and he'll eat all he can.

Please ask us more on how to test his blood sugar and adjust his diet and insulin dose until he has reasonable blood glucose all day long. Then he'll slow down on the food on his own.

Meanwhile let him eat all he wants -- it won't make him fatter but it may keep him from getting very sick.

Cheers,
    Steve

12. Mike R

Mike R New Member

Just wanted to say thank you so very much for the feedback regarding our buddies hunger can't stress enough how great it is to have a resource bringing all of us animal lovers together. So helpful in a "head scratching situation" such as this one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.