? ReliOn Lance Device

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carole Dgan, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carole Dgan

Carole Dgan Member

I have tried lancing by hand, using the device at 5, and using the device with the clear lid. I can't seem to get a good drop by hand. When I use the lance device with it set at 5, I sometimes get a good drop and sometimes not. When I use it with the clear lid, I get a lot of blood fast. Seems it's lower value too. So what do people suggest? I was thinking of maybe trying the device without a lid. Buddy likes me to be done quickly, so the clear cap is better for him, except it really does draw a lot of blood (big drop), but I stop the bleed right away after I get the reading.

2. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

A lot of us here free hand without a pen because we can see where are poking the lancet better. That's what I do. See if that works for you.

3. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Carole, before you try using the lancet pen without the lid, try cocking it and pushing the button. I tried that once and the lancet flew out.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Do you think you might be hitting the vein?

I use an Alphatrak lancing device and I don't put on the clear cap because I can't hit the sweet spot with it. I put the lancet into the device but I then freehand the poke itself (i.e. I don't press the button). I find that having the lancet in the device makes it easier to keep the lancet steady and easier to guide (my hands shake a lot of the time).

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What size lancet are you using? You want ones labeled for alternate site testing (25-28 gauge) as they will make a bigger hole.

6. Carole Dgan

Carole Dgan Member

OK, I am using Ultra-Thin 30 Gauge. So that's a part of my problem. I'll go buy the bigger ones and try again.

7. Carole Dgan

Carole Dgan Member

Much better, thanks. This forum is great :)

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.