Relion Prime users Does ADW have the strips?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MommaOfMuse, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

I have a friend that is just about to adopt her very first Sugar kitty, and I'm giving her one of my old meters to get her started and wanted to start her off with her first vial of test strips, now since I need to order from ADW anyhow I was just going to add her strips to my order but while I know which Arkray's fit my micro I'm not sure which ones fit the Prime, which she likes better than my back up Micro. So do any of you that use the Prime know if ADW carries the test strips and if they do which ones I need to order for the Relion Prime?

Mel and The Fur Gang

2. Andrea&Tennessee (GA)

Andrea&Tennessee (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry Mel,
    I don't have the answer to you question.
    But, could you share with me what strips I need to order from ADW for the Relion Mirco?
    I have been wanting to place an order but was not sure of what I needed.

Thanks!

3. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

The ones for the Relion Micro are the glucocard 01. So far I'm not seeing any that look like they belong to the Prime, so like it or not she might just end up with one of my spare Micros (which is a better meter IMHO).

Mel and The Fur Gang

4. Andrea&Tennessee (GA)

Andrea&Tennessee (GA) Well-Known Member

Although I have 0% experience with any others, I think the micro works great!

Thanks again!

5. For Jack

For Jack New Member

How does the Micro compare to the Confirm? It looks like they use the same test strips. I have a Confirm but I stopped using it a couple months ago cause it started being all wonky on me. I have a Prime that I use now and it was when I was comparing numbers between my Confirm and Prime that I realized my Confirm was being wonky. Basically, I'd test and there'd be a 100 point difference with the Confirm being higher. I'd re-test with the Confirm and on the 2nd test it would be within 10 points of the Prime.

NOW, I'm having an issue like that with my Prime. Earlier this week I tested and got a number that I knew was way too low (77) based on the BG test I had done 2 hours earlier so I immediately re-tested and the result was in the 400s. Tonight, I tested pre-shot and it showed over 500 which I felt was too high based on his results just an hour earlier. Again, I re-tested and this time the results were in the 300s (I re-tested like two more times just to confirm). It's causing me to lose trust in this meter. One reason I switched to it was because the strips are half the cost of the micro/confirm strips BUT if I'm going to be using 2 each time I test I'm not saving anything.

BTW, his numbers are still high overall because he was just switched to Lantus after being on Vetsulin which did not regulate him at all. I do test him regularly for ketones and luckily that has never been an issue.

And sorry for the threadjack.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Confirm, Confirm Micro, Glucocard 01 and Glucocard 01 Mini all take the same strips.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@For Jack

The only difference between the Confirm and the Micro are the size of the meter itself. They both take the same sample size and use the same strips (which you can also buy at ADW for $69.99 for 4 boxes of 50 with 1 free box....so 250 strips for $69.99...and they occasionally send you emails with coupons worth 10% off an order and/or free shipping on any size order)

The Micro is a smaller unit, so handy if you're carrying it around in your pocket all day (not so important for our kitties as it is for humans) The Confirm is a little bigger unit, so better if you have trouble holding smaller objects (like if you have arthritis in your hands)

Both take the tiniest size sample possible and generally they're very reliable. If you started getting wonky numbers, you might want to replace the battery or if you call Relion, they can send you control solution you can test with...and they're also pretty good about replacing any meter that's causing problems so you don't necessarily have to buy a new one.

The Prime takes a larger sample size (not a lot larger, but larger..... 5 microliter versus the Confirm/Micro that only takes 3 microliter)

The other thing I've heard quite often is that the Prime tends to give more error messages if things aren't "just right". I found this true when I tried it, but some people have absolutely no problem with them and the price savings on the strips is pretty nice. The Prime has boxes of 100 for $17.88 where the Confirm/Micro are $35.88 for 100. You can get boxes of 50 for $9 for the Prime (they also have smaller boxes for the Confirm/Micro)

Remember, ALL meters can be off as much as 20% ....even on the same drop of blood!! So if the first test you get is a 500 and you immediately retest, you could get anything from a HI (over 600) to 400, so it can be over 200 points difference and still basically be the same number. The important thing to remember here is if it's too high, it's too high...it really doesn't matter a whole lot if it's 300 or 500....both numbers are too high and doing damage to the kidneys and other internal organs.

For Jack and itzj like this.
  8. For Jack

For Jack New Member

Thanks so much. I guess I forgot about the 20% error range - or rather how large 20% can be when the numbers are higher.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yup
    50 -> 40-60, a span of 20
    500 -> 400-600, a span of 200

10. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Nope, the Prime strips are only available from Walmart (no Glucocard equivalent).

11. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

And if your meter starts giving you wonky numbers, try changing the battery. I had one Prime that worked fine with "low battery" for a couple of month and another Prime that started giving weird numbers the second the battery started going down, so YMMV.

I have 2 Primes so when in doubt, I test with the other Prime. (I also have a Micro I use as a back-up to my back-up).

For Jack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.