Relion Syringes/Needles Still Have Half Markings?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Casey Warner, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

Do the ReliOn syringes at Walmart still have those half markings on them?

I went in today to get a box of the 29 gauge syringes and was given a hard time. This was my second time buying syringes and I did not have any problems the first time.

Firstly, I had a difficult time understanding the lady that was helping me as she had an accent and it was loud in there. I think she asked what type of insulin I used and I told her it was Lantus. There seemed to be some confusion so I handed her a handwritten paper containing the information about the syringes I wanted (ReliOn, u100, 29 gauge). She asked where I got the Lantus and I told her Walgreens. Then she said she needed to contact them to verify. I told her I didn't know the location (my Mom drove me that day as I was exhausted). I just knew it was across from the hospital. Then she started talking to a co-worker. I don't remember exactly what happened or what was said. I know I verified that it was for my cat and I didn't have a problem last time I came in to buy the syringes. The co-worker asked me how many units I gave a day and I told her one. Then she said something about the syringes. They decided to let me buy the syringes, except when the lady went to get them, she realized they were out of stock. So now I have to go back tomorrow (Friday).

In retrospect, I think the co-worker asked me about the units and maybe she thought the syringes don't have the half markings. Either that or they changed them, which is why I'm asking.

I don't know why they can't put the pharmacy at the side or back of the store where it's not as loud. Ugh!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The only ones with half unit markings are these (they may have 30 gauge, but not 29)

[​IMG]

3. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

:confused: Wait. So is there a way to tell from the box that they have the half unit markings?
    The last box I got was the 29 gauge and I'm certain they had the half unit markings. Are you telling me they don't have the markings anymore or that Walmart dosn't carry/make them anymore?

4. Chris & China (GA)

No....you can't tell by looking at the box.

I actually don't think the 29 gauge ever had the half unit markings but I could be totally wrong. I haven't seen any 29 gauge syringes at my own store for a long time so I think they could have stopped making them. The "trend" is for smaller needles these days for comfort so they probably weren't selling many of the 29 gauge

5. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

I went back to Walmart and spoke to another pharmacy employee who didn't have a full grasp on the English language. :banghead: Even though I had a piece of paper with all the info on it, she just couldn't understand anything. Finally another employee happened to walk by and was able to help me.

It appears that sometime since June 2, they stopped carrying the 29 gauge syringes with the half unit markings on them that had a 12 mm needle . Those are the first ones that I ever purchased. This time I had to get the 31 gauge syringes with the 8 mm needle. I'm not happy about that and I hope it works out. I don't have problems giving sub-q fluids no matter how long or short the needle is, but giving insulin is a little trickier (for me anyway).

I'm a little irked that I had to make a special trip there for something I could've gotten yesterday. I wish their employees knew what they were doing and talking about. It's very frustrating. That's why I never use their pharmacy. On the bright side, because I went back, I picked up a pizza and a box of ice cream sandwiches as a treat. :D

6. Chris & China (GA)

Well that made it all worth while!! :D

7. Meridith and Zeke

Meridith and Zeke Well-Known Member

When I go and buy the syringes, since there isn't anything on the outside (that I have noticed) that states half units, I always open the box to make sure that it is the ones I want. I have never had anyone saying anything to me about it since the packages inside are sealed as well and you can't return them if they aren't the right ones. Also, what I have done to help make sure there is no issue of getting the correct needles, I have a piece of the box that has all the pre-printed info (along with the color) that I can pull out from my purse and show them if they aren't sure what I am wanting or try to give me something different saying it is the same thing. It has really helped.

Chris & Lucy and Sue and Luci like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.