? ReliOn test meter question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sherrib, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

I had to pull out my old ReliOn meter, went to Walmart and got new strips. I keep getting E6 when I put the strip in.... what does this mean? Can it be fixed now? Only way of testing right now.

2. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

An E6 reading usually means a test strip problem. Did you check the end of meter where strip goes in? I get that reading often and usually just take out the strip and reinsert it. Most of the time that fixes the problem. How old is your meter? Could it need a new battery?

3. sherrib

My meter is old, maybe 8 years. I put in a new battery before I used it because the other battery was dead. I did not check the end of the strip

4. Lisa and Smoky

I touched the end of a test strip by accident a few times and got an E6 reading. Did you remove the test strip and try another one in meter? It could just be that you need a new meter. I think the shelf life for a relion meter is 5 years.

5. sherrib

I've tried 2 strips now, still get E6. I do not have the directions to the meter anymore, so weird that the date showing is today's date , wrong time though .last night I pulled out all my meters. I have another meter that actually had test strips , of course they have been expired for years but they still gave me the same reading as my last current strip.

6. Lisa and Smoky

7. sherrib

I thought about touching it . So the 2 one I only opened it enough to stick the strip in. Everything seems to work on the meter expect for the strips so I guess I will have to get another meter since I don't think I can return them to Walmart .... or can I?
    The meter I use , only 2 places sell the strips . One is a privately owned drug store ( $11. Or $13'for 25 strips ) or CVS $35.00 for 25 strips!
    If you have ever seen any of other post, then you know that I always have bad luck

Thank you for your help

8. Lisa and Smoky

You're right about not being able to return test strips. Can you order the strips online or get another relion meter? I've never heard of a prodigy meter. Believe me, I know all about having bad luck if you've ever read my signature.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Reason for edit: Add on to post
  9. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

How is smoky doing on the chemo drug? Just read your sig

10. Phoebes (GA)

Have you asked behind the pharmacy counter? When I check the Isle and there us none I ask the pharmacist. They will usually have some back there. You can get online cheaper. And no you can't return them. :(

11. Lisa and Smoky

He was vomiting a bit for two days after his first dose Tuesday night. I gave him cerenia a few hours before his second dose and some bupe for pain after that. He seems OK so far so will see how he does.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Reason for edit: Add on to post
    Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  12. Phoebes (GA)

Poor baby. At least the cerenia should help. I am contemplating getting it for ger. The vet offered but I don't want her to feel worse, if it makes them sick.

13. Lisa and Smoky

I think I read on here somewhere that about 15 to 20% of cats have nausea and vomiting. I'm more concerned about the chemo drugs suppressing the bone marrow and weakening his immune system. You also have to do frequent blood testing to determine if either one of those are happening.

14. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Jut what meter do you have> Since you said it is about 8 years old, the strips you purchased are likely not compatible with the st4ips you purchased.
    Relion is Walmart's branding, it does not identify a specific meter.

15. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

E-6:
    Test strip problem. Contact bars on test strip may be
    dirty. Incorrect test strip used. Used test strip has been
    inserted. Repeat test with new test strip.

In addition to what Larry and Kitties said, if you have ReliOn Prime meter but ReliOn Confirm/Micro test strips, they won't work together.

How is Skittles? Did he go back into remission? Noticed you disappeared a few months back and when SS wasn't updated, I worried :smuggrin:

16. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I had a batch like that. It drove me crazy. Finally just went and got another 100 strips.

There is an 800 # on the box. Call (keep box and strip container, they will ask for info from them). The will either email or snail mail you a Wal-Mart gift card for replacements. I have only had one box that was ever an issue.

AlphaCat likes this.
  17. sherrib

Skittles is not back into remission and it's all my fault . I'm so depressed and keep having bad panic attacks so I'm not working. If only I could get better, my baby will
    have a good chance at living healthy

That really sucks that I'm can't take back the strips so looks like I'm gonna have to save up money to get a new meter and in the meantime I just down now

18. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you are not doing well, Sherri :bighug:. Don't be extra hard on yourself though, I know that's easier said than done from personal experience.

sherrib likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.