Relion Ultima test strips temperature?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michelle and Daisy, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle and Daisy

Michelle and Daisy New Member

Hi guys. I bought some Relion Ultima test strips a few hours ago, and the instructions state they should be stored at below 85 degrees. Well, my car doesn't have air conditioning, and it was about 90 out, and I had about a 15 minute drive home. When I took them out of the package, they felt warm... not hot, but warm. I'm wondering if you think that the 15 minutes they were kept above 85 degrees could have damaged them.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Should be OK. Hock's site says:

Shipping Test Strips in Hot and Cold weather:
    Blood glucose test strips are able to withstand major temperature changes without affecting their accuracy. To verify the integrity of your test strips that you believe may have been exposed to extreme temperatures, manufacturers suggest using control solution on each box of test strips you open. If the control test is within the range listed on your diabetic test strips, your strips are reading properly.

3. Michelle and Daisy

Michelle and Daisy New Member

Okay, thanks so much for the info.

4. wombat88

wombat88 Member

Glad you asked this question because I had the same problem today! It was HOT outside. My car does have AC but I stopped by the vet's office to pick up both cats and they were baking out there in the car longer than I'd anticipated. When I got home, I read that warning and worried that may be why the PM reading was so much lower on the Relion than the Accutrak I'd been using. Guess I'd better buy some of that control solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.