Remembering Gizmo

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chubba (GA), Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

2 months ago today Gizmo made his way to the rainbow bridge. We miss him terribly, but he is definitely still making his presence known in our daily lives. He is watching over us until the day we can be together again. cat_wings>o

I created Gizmo’s memorial video about a month ago, but just couldn’t bring myself to post it. I made a memory book for the kids and us, ordered his memorial garden plaque, and created memory ornaments for our Christmas tree. Posting this condo and video will be all I have left. Everything will seem so final then.

Gizmo came into our home 13 years ago. My husband wasn’t really a cat person (but then Gizmo came along). He spotted him on the blacktop driveway that we share with our neighbors. He come home one day and said if you want a cat, that’s the one. Since I went through about a cat a year growing up (they were outside cats and always disappeared), I told him I would only get a cat if we would keep him indoors. Well, the next day, I picked up Gizmo from my neighbors and took him to my parent’s house for the afternoon. We noticed he had an infestation of little red bugs ... so my mom and I bathed him in a bucket of water. Poor kitty, but he didn’t mind. This is when we realized he was just a big ball of fluff! He was just an easy going lovable guy. Gizmo joined our home and soon became best friends with our mini schnauzer and bunny.

My neighbors had nicknamed him rolly-polly because he had a big belly and was always rolling around. It wasn’t long until Gizmo earned himself many nicknames from us. As a kitten we called him Houdini. Gizmo could escape from anything! Then after minutes of looking everywhere for him, he would just appear in the middle of the floor. :confused: His greatest escape would have to be from the bathroom we kept him in when he was a kitten while we were at work. To this day, we still have no idea how he was getting out. We kept increasing the barriers, but somehow he always was waiting outside the bathroom when we returned home. We had the door shut, with a baby gate across the outside, and piece of cardboard stuck between the door and the gate. Needless to say ... he won and we gave up. He was the master of escape!

He grew up into a beautiful big cat. Gizmo was never overweight, just a huge cat (hindsight - acromegaly). So he got the nickname Chubba, Chubba whubba, Chubby, or Chubbs (added to Giz and Gizzy). He had so many names and he answered to them all.

He was the sweetest cat. My children could just pick him up and carry him anywhere (and given his big kitty status - this was not an easy task for preschoolers to accomplish, but he didn’t mind). He would follow them around the house ... always looking to be part of their adventures. The memory that stands out the most ... he loved to be their patient when they had their doctor kit out. He was the perfect patient ... right down to the toy bandaid they would put on his paw. :joyful:

Once he got diabetes, I was terrified. :nailbiting: I even told my husband there is no way I am giving him insulin shots twice a day. But he was so accepting and knew we were helping him to get better. He even told us when it was time to test or get his shot (the power of treats!). The sugar dance brought Gizmo so much closer to us and as weird as it sounds I am thankful to have been able to have that bond with him.

Well, this is getting kinda long (sorry). Thank you for taking the time to get to know Gizmo a little better. I hope you enjoy the video. I of course had to include the song Gizmo sent to us “Everything’s Gonna Be Alright.”

Gizmo's Video
    Gizmo's Last Post

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

3. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:What beautiful memories!

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing, it's a wonderful story. I always enjoy hearing/reading about how the fur kids came to be part of the family, the stories and adventures. The reason we all came here was because our kitties were sick, but that isn't the whole story of us, our kitties and the relationships that get formed here. This is a very good place.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

A perfect tribute to a wonderful kitty! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  6. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

What a sweet beautiful kitty :bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

He had a great life in a loving home. The very best.:bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What a wonderful memory video! Thank you for sharing. I found making a video helped me. Still does. I hope it helps you too. :bighug::bighug:

I am bit teary eyed now - Gizmo was such a wonderful cat, perfect for your family. He definitely picked the right driveway.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  9. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sobbing over the sad parts of this story. But Gizmo's story is mostly a happy one. His face really looks like someone who was satisfied with his lot in life. As if, from where he is now, he can look back and wouldn't change a thing, being in your family was exactly what he wanted. And he will have a very special place in your children's memories all their lives. Thank you for sharing this, and I hope we'll continue to see you around here sometimes.:bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

11. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I knew from the minute I joined this forum, and met you and Gizmo, that Gizmo was special, and belonged to a wonderful, caring family. Such a charmer, and those eyes, it's no wonder your husband was instantly hooked. I really loved watching the video, it was truly touching...amazing to be able to see how his love for you and your family just shined through, so many wonderful memories for you to look back on. I don't know if I have a favourite photo in the memorial...but maybe if I had to pick one, Gizmo lounging in your husband's boot?:p And I really chuckled at hearing about escape artist shenanigans, I can imagine how pleased Gizmo looked each time he escaped the bathroom, knowing you couldn't figure out his secret, what a cheeky boy.

I'm so very sorry he couldn't have been here with you just a little longer, there's never enough time, but I'm happy that you still feel his presence and spirit, and I'm certain he will always be watching over you. Sending lots of :bighug::bighug: thank you for sharing some of your memories of your sweet boy.

Bronx's dad (GA) and Chubba (GA) like this.
  12. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Beautiful :bighug: Loved the video, so sorry for the loss of your Gizmo.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  13. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Such a beautiful tribute video, so nice you shared with us. Gizmo was such a happy kitty, so evident in the pictures. Gizmo and Bronx could be twins with so many similarities and I know he will be there to greet Bronx, and they will be forever friends across the bridge.

14. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Great story and memories of a special cat! We used to call Bubba Houdini too! He was always able to escape our Siamese , Sug , GA , who was so mean to Bubba!

Hugs!

Bronx's dad (GA) and Chubba (GA) like this.
  15. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

That is such a great story and incredible journey, thank you for sharing :bighug::bighug: what a great life:bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  16. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I loved seeing all pictures in the video. Wonderful memories! :bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  17. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Beautiful ... just beautiful...little heartbreakers...:(

So sad...but you were so wonderful to him...:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  18. Chubba (GA)

. I forgot about his weird obsession with shoes. I don’t know why, but he loved to lay with our shoes (or anybody’s shoes for that matter). :p

I hope Mav’s latest increase brings him back into some more steady blues and greens. I can’t remember ... did you decide to switch to Levemir?
    I’ve always felt a special connection to Bronx just because of their similarities. Gizmo will definitely be waiting to greet his buddy at the bridge, but he says to give him a long, long time to explore first that way he can show Bronx all his favorite spots.

19. Taffysmama

Taffysmama Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about Gizmo. Sending hugs and Taffy sends purrs.

20. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Aw, thanks for looking in on us, ya, his cycles have been a bit frustrating lately, I'm hoping he can see more blues and greens. Long story on Levemir, but I've tried three different pharmacies, they all claim to need a first prescription from the vet, even though I'm supposed to be able to get it without one. One pharmacist actually told me I shouldn't even be able to get refills like I have been, without a prescription :woot:. I mentioned to the vet tech at my clinic that I wanted to see about a new script for Levemir, she said, why? His numbers aren't that bad :(, then suggested I could bring him in and do a fructosamine..:banghead:. So, I'll need an appointment to see the vet, and if I can't get through to them, I'll need to find another.

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  21. Chubba (GA)

That stinks. I hope you are able to get the prescription to try it soon and that it helps to flatten him out some. :bighug:

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  22. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing Gizmo with us. He was a special kitty. Sending prayers as you remember him. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  23. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

What a great kitty! This is a beautiful remembrance, I have poor internet here at camp, so I must wait until I get home to see your video. Looking forward to it. Thank you for all that you did for your boy and for this loving tribute,
    :bighug::bighug::bighug: :) :cat:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  24. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to watch the video or read the post yet, but I look forward to doing so when my head is in a better place. Gizmo was a special kitty, and you were his special family. I am glad you all, especially your children, have such wonderful memories of time spent with him. ❤️:bighug:❤️

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  25. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

What a wonderful video. Giz was a very handsome, photogenic cat. Thank you for sharing him with us. He is missed. :bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  26. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Valerie)))

What a beautiful video. I couldn’t decide which pictures I loved the most.....with the dogs, on the shoes, on his back, and looking quite dapper in his harness. He was such handsome, big boy and I know your heart has a huge hole in it because he was larger than life. He knew exactly what he was doing when he made a stop on your driveway.

May you find peace. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  27. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

What a touching video and tribute. A part of Gizmo will always be here with us as we get to share in his story and his memory. I hope you will come visit your "other" family.

From my Gizmo to yours, those big boys are very, very special.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  28. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:bighug:

The tribute video is beautiful - just like your big boy.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  29. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Oh, what a beautiful tribute to a beautiful, beautiful boy! I am so, so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing that wonderful tribute video with us. It must have been wrenching to make it, but it's a wonderful tribute to a very special cat and a very special relationship. Fly free, beautiful Gizmo. :bighug::bighug::bighug:cat_wings>o

Chubba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.