Remi poorly update 04/13-back on the steroids

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by phlika29, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What steroid? Prednisolone? If not giving insulin I would test like you do when giving insulin, every 12 hours until you see how the GB reacts to the EOD steroid.

2. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Remi's had to go back on the steroids Sarah, but I agree - better diabetic and breathing than struggling to breathe. Hopefully they won't affect his BG too much but if they do, you've dealt with it before and you can deal with it again. Hugs for you and Remi and I hope he starts feeling better soon :bighug:

3. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi @Larry and Kitties . Yes prednicare 2.5 mg eod. I wonder if Budesnoide might be a better treatment option as the effect is meant to be more localised. If his tummy is under control his asthma is controlled by the oral steroids just fine.

I read this link in which you mention one of your kitties is on it with no issues. I would ofcourse like to keep remi OTJ if I can.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/budesonide-use-and-ibd.11183/

So I will monitor every twelve hours before his first meal of the morning and first meal of the evening. If those remain within the normal zone it doesn't matter what happens in between or does it mean that the numbers in between must be okay?

Thanks @manxcat419 it's taken me a while to come to this conclusion but I feel that it is the best way forward. :)

manxcat419 likes this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Budesonide is good for many GI issues and for many has little effect on BG. My MurrFee is currently on 1 mg one a day. I have had three other cats also on budesonide.

5. phlika29

I guess the concern is that at the moment is the possibility of lymphoma and the systemic benefit of the prednicare versus the Budesnoide. I will discuss this with my vet and see what he thinks.

Many thanks.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'd do a pre-shot test as a baseline. With every other day dosing, the glucose is likely to fluctuate with the prednisone levels. If he winds up back on insulin, you may find that you'll need a teeny, tiny bit of Regular insulin for the days he is high, in addition to Lantus. Folks here can guide you if it becomes necessary.

7. phlika29

Thanks BJ

So yesterday before his dinner and before his steroid dose he was
    PMBG 5.6/ 100
    Then twelve hours after the 2.5 mg steroid he was
    AMBG 5.2/94

Overnight stomach was less gassy, he hasn't been excessively yawning or doing what I call a hard swallow and is eating better.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  8. Martha and Lolly

Martha and Lolly Member

I'm sorry he's had to go back on the steroids, hopefully he will stay OTJ. I think I would completely freak if one of my cats had an asthma attack-- you are amazing. Hugs and healing thoughts to you both. (((Remi))) and (((Sarah)))

9. phlika29

Thanks

The steroids do seem to be helping both his IBD and his asthma but I am tearing g my hair out trying to get him to try the new ropocat rabbit. He had one tiny bit and then then pretty much refuses to eat anything that even has the tiniest bit mixed in. It is so very different from his usual chicken both in look, smell and texture that I am not sure how I am going to get him used to it.

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe it needs to cook with the chicken to 'marry' the flavors some. Try heating up a meal's worth together, then letting it cool.

11. phlika29

No that hasn't worked. I'm getting stressed as he is now just refusing any food and so is missing his tumil k supplement. It's so diffucult I don't know whether to give up with it after just two days of trying:oops:

12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah,

Thinking of you both.

:bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.