? Remission Already?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Duchess2118, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Duchess2118

Duchess2118 New Member

Hi Everyone,

Cookie and I are fairly new here (he was diagnosed in early Dec) and I didn't think I would be asking remission questions this soon but think I need to start! I haven't had to give Cookie any insulin since the evening of Monday, Jan 7th because his AM and PM numbers have consistenly been in the low 100s and below. He seems more like his old self as well, he has started making mischief again and has a very good appetite. Our last curve was Jan 1st and I am doing another today.

Is it possible for Cookie to be in remission within 1 month? If it is remission what are our next steps and what type of ongoing care will Cookie need? Thank you all for the great advice and tips.

2. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, as we are very new to this as well, but wanting to jump in to see the replies because our situation is very similar. Can you tell me if his diet changed significantly with his dx?

3. Duchess2118

Duchess2118 New Member

Hi Angie! I wouldn't say Cookie's diet change was very drastic. Before diagnosis I fed him by mixing Friskies chunks with gravy in with kibble, but sometimes just gave him just wet food. Since his diagnosis I have cut all kibble and he gets either the Friskies pate or Fancy Feast pate. At first he wasnt a fan of the pate but after getting tips from the awesome folks on this board I started mixing in a little water with the pate and he now cleans his bowl.

Angie & Millhouse likes this.
  4. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

That's really interesting. Millhouse was strictly high carb dry, so i believe changing his diet has been the catalyst for his blue and green days. The main piece of advice I picked up here is to not shoot it they are under 150. My vet says 200, but I can tell Millhouse is feeling less than great when over 150. I try to test at least three times a day to be certain I'm not missing a change. We had a great trial going, but he had an AMPS of 154, so I gave a reduced dose then. I guess it's just always going to be an ongoing experience.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Changing from high carb food to low carb can make all the difference for some cats. Gravy food and kibble is quite high carb food. A fast remission is possible with a food switch, especially if no other underlying medical conditions.

Typically we have people try to give insulin as long as safely possible, in order to achieve a strong a remission. Even in remission a cat is still diabetic, just a diet controlled diabetic. Usually people will gradually lower the dose of insulin they are giving, and with experience,will also lower the preshot number at which they will give insulin. If following the Srptart Low Go Slow method of dosing, the no shot number gradually goes down to 90.

Good luck with today’s curve.

6. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Rhubarb was one of the lucky ones- diet change and a month on insulin.

7. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

A no shot number of 90... I didn't realize that. I'm nervous to shoot in the morning when he's lower and I'm leaving for work. I'll have to read some more.

8. Nicki & Marcus

Nicki & Marcus Member

We only had Marcus on Lantus for about a month when he went into remission. That was last March. Fingers are crossed that Cookie is also in remission! Who would have guessed how important a wet -low carb diet can be in cats?