Remission - Food Stuffs?!

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Riulake, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Riulake

Riulake Member

Hey all! It's been a while... which is a good thing, right?!? :)
    My guy has been in remission since mid-August 2018, pretty stable but with some bumps in the road likely due to either mild pancreatitis or IBS.
    My question is, I've still got him on nothing but LC Friskies Pates and he's super super tiny. Like the vet said possibly underweight. Is there anything safe I can give him to bring his weight up? Perhaps a still LC but higher fat?
    NOTE: Already at 4 meals a day, would be really difficult to squeeze in a fifth.
    NOTE: Already using automatic feeders for during work hours.
    NOTE: He still thinks wet food is a treat and gorges and vomits. Can't really increase the portion size.

Has anyone been in this situation?

Thanks in advance!
    Amy + Murrie <3

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Might want to post this on the main forum. There's much more traffic there.

3. Riulake

Riulake Member

@FurBabiesMama Yes I did that the next morning! And got some helpful responses :)

4. FurBabiesMama

Ooops, sorry, I must have missed that one, and I felt sad for this one not getting any responses. :)

By the way, your cat is SO cute.

5. Riulake

Riulake Member

@FurBabiesMama Thank you so much - I am a bit worried about my guy. His numbers seem great without insulin but he just can’t keep any weight on him. And the sporadic vomits always make me panic.

And I won’t tell him you said he’s cute, he’s already got too big of an ego
    I’ve always wanted a warm rose sandy coloured kitty like yours. She’s so beautiful!

6. FurBabiesMama

I understand.. I really, really do... I was just telling my husband that I get so tired of all the worry. It seems like something is always popping up with one of my girls that causes me to worry. Has Murrie had a T4 test for hyperthyroidism? I ask because I know that can cause them to be really hungry and eat a lot but lose weight (like diabetes does).

I am always worried about my Willow eating enough to keep her weight up. She is 16 1/2 and just barely weighs 7 lbs. Her weight had gotten to be even less than that at one point, but thank goodness, it has been hovering right at 7 for awhile now. She gets Zyrtec every day to help with allergies, but the best benefit of it has been increasing her appetite! This week, I have started giving her Canna-Pet capsules (want to see if it helps with her back legs that have gotten stiff as well as her asthma and allergies), and it seems to increase her appetite, too. I also supplement my girls meals with home-made chicken bone broth, and I give them chicken. I used to cook chicken breasts for them, but lately, they have mainly been getting PureBites freeze dried chicken treats (I buy the big bag for dogs so it costs a little less).

Thanks for your compliment to Mia. I need to put a better picture of her on here.

7. membeth

membeth Member

So I really don't want to add to your worry, but if Murrie is eating enough to gain weight and is still underweight, you might want to ask your vet about testing for EPI (insufficient pancreatic enzyme).

My kitty Pants continued to slowly loose weight while in remission and had intermittent barfing, and it turns out she needed a diet change due to IBD/food allergies, and that she also has EPI, which basically stopped her from getting enough calories from the food she eats because she can't digest it properly.

For EPI, the treatment is an enzyme added to food and usually B12 supplementation too. Vets sometimes miss EPI because they expect dramatic litter box symptoms, but apparently a lot of kitties don't have much in the way of symptoms -- they are just too skinny in relation to how much they eat.