? Remission... How often to test BG

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cmonmiracle, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

Apologies if this has been answered before. I tried searching but wasn't able to find anything.

It's nearly been 2 weeks of home testing since Avery was diagnosed. The labs showed BG of 16.2 mmol/L when she was diagnosed. She was very stressed that day and was on high carb food.

After switching her to low carb food, treating her hyperthyroid and UTI, she has been consistently in normal range with no insulin. I've only been testing once a day, but at a variety of times to get an idea of her patterns. She'll be going to a new vet on the 29th to get a blood test for her thyroid levels.

My question is, how often should I continue to test her now that she seems to be regulated? Should I do a curve any time soon?

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  2. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

I believe you should test 1 or 2 times a month, just to check in on the numbers. You don't need to do a curve.

cmonmiracle likes this.
  3. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I’m not the one with the exact protocol & I’m sure someone else will advise soon.
    No need for a curve. I know I checked Baby every day for about 10 days then switched to 2 x’s a week. Starting on week 3 or 4, I began checking just once a week.
    I had a thyroid kitty too but she wasn’t diabetic. That’s great that antibiotics & food change did the trick! I know my vet said to just watch in the following months to watch for the excessive water drinking, lose of weight & urinating outside the box. I still continued to test occasionally & then she came out of remission.

Nicki & Marcus and cmonmiracle like this.
  4. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

Thanks for the replies Sean and Becky!

Were you noticing symptoms or did you catch it with a spot BG test?

5. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

It was the super increased water drinking. She’s never drank a lot of water but when he numbers are high - her water bowl is low! That’s when I knew ...she was in remission for 4 months, wish it had lasted longer of course!

cmonmiracle likes this.
  6. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

Ah, okay. Good to know! Thanks again for your response.

I've had cats all my life and I keep learning new things that I've been doing wrong. I learned from my CKD kitty to avoid dry food and limit phosphorus... Now Avery taught me to limit carbs. Expensive and heart-wrenching lessons but we're all doing the best we can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.