Remission maybe...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by KrisQ, Dec 19, 2018.

1. KrisQ

KrisQ Member

Morning All. It's been 30 days since Kallie's last injection. Her numbers have come down steadily and have been running in the low blues to high greens. Appetite is good, water consumption normal, she has energy, coat is looking shiny - I think that she is in or close to remission. What do you guys think?

majandra and JanetNJ like this.
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Looks like remission to me! It would be nice if those blues went away, but you're using an AT2, so the numbers do tend to read a little higher. So HOORAY! That's so exciting and I'm really happy for you and Kitty! Well done!

A couple of things to keep in mind going forward:
    -Keep testing. Not every day, but aim for once a week for a few months, and never more than once every two weeks for the rest of Kitty's life. Cats fall out of remission and you want to catch it immediately when that happens.
    -Keep your spreadsheet up to date - if you ever need to pop in and ask for advice, that is the first thing we'll ask for and it's a pain to try to catch it up after months have passed.
    -Any number over 150, you want to increase testing to daily again until you're sure it was just a blip. If you see a couple of higher numbers, post and ask for advice.
    -Never ever get lax about the food. Kitty will always be a diabetic, but now she's a diet controlled diabetic. Reintroducing higher carb food or treats will knock her right out of remission.
    -A second round of diabetes is harder to treat than the first round, so you want to do everything possible to avoid a relapse. (I speak from experience here).

Do pop in from time to time and give us a little update. It's always fun to read how our FD family is doing. And we are always here if you need anything. You've done a great job taking care of Kitty! And please take a minute from time to time to help out new folks. This board works when all of us who have received help, turn around and help others in return. Even if you aren't comfortable giving advice, a word of encouragement to those who are starting out goes a long way! :)

KrisQ and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Congratulations

KrisQ likes this.
  4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

How exciting! Congrats to you and Kallie! May you enjoy many years of insulin free bliss! :joyful:

KrisQ likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is wonderful news! :D

KrisQ likes this.
  6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Amazing news! Congrats!!!!!!!!

KrisQ likes this.
  7. KrisQ

KrisQ Member

Thank you to everyone - we wouldn't have made it this far without this board and Dr. Lisa. #wetfoodforlife