Remission sick cat high bg?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Aliciakuy, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliciakuy

Aliciakuy Member

Posting on here as well as facebook. I think Morton has had high bg issues this month since the 9th which is why hes on and off not wanted food. Today confirmed 383 BG. The vet wants him on every other day prednisolone and no insulin. The prednisolone is a weaning thing as he currently has a bad autoimmune disease that is doing okay currently.. so continuing the pred wean.Hes been in remission since he had dka in august from cyclosporine. When he got off of it he wasnt diabetic anymore. He has a fever today and got fluids and acupuncture. I'm not sure what to do. I have unopened lantus at home from august. Hes eating okay right now. Hes at another vet currently asking for a second opinion. Maybe antibiotics? Not sure what to do for him.. I feel like he has pancreatitis. Can a URI or something cause high BG even if not diabetic? I dont understand. He is nearly impossible to get a bg

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

No insulin, past history of DKA. Yikes!!!

Other conditions, including vet stress can cause high BG levels. Up to 180 points per one study I read.

Are there other clinical signs of feline diabetes?
    Excess drinking? polydipsia.
    peeing huge amounts in the litter box? Polyuria
    plantigrade stance?
    poor coat? dull looking? hair falling out?
    heavy dandruff?
    Can you get ketone test strips at the pharmacy and check his urine for sugar?

UTI's can raise BG levels, but not usually by that much, 250-300 points above normal. I saw BG elevated in my cat when he was feeling sick, but only 40-70 points. He was in remission, diet controlled, testing <100 for years.

"Once a diabetic, always a diabetic." Your cat was simply diet controlled.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  3. Aliciakuy

Aliciakuy Member

He just eats orijen kibble since he was a baby. Well..his urine is covered in white blood cells.. 0 ketones. Ultrasound clear. Vet says bg is raised because hes really sick with a UTI as it was perfectly fine a week ago. Sigh. Hes on zeniquin now which has ever caused any adverse effects.

4. Deb & Wink

There are enough serious medical issues going on with your cat, you need a well trained vet to handle Mortons' situation. Here on the message board and over in the Facebook group are not going to do enough for your boy.

The ITP is difficult enough. Pancreatitis can also 'kick' a cat out of diet controlled status.
    ( I had to look up ITP. - autoimmune condition causing low platelet count)

With the ITP, his blood can't clot properly, so home testing is not a good option for you, unless and until you get that platelet count back up.

Good luck with Morton. Hope he gets better soon. Give him a hug from me, when he gets back from the vet today.

p.s. Did Morton get diagnosed with Feline Leukemia? Read that ITP is rare in cats and can be associated with Feline Leukemia.

5. Deb & Wink

UTI's are more prevalent in male cats. Dry food diet doesn't help with that, as it's water depleted and cats don't have a large thirst drive. Water fountain? Add water to some of the food?

Ask your vet about a wet food, low in carbs that might be appropriate for your cat and all his medical conditions.

6. Aliciakuy

Aliciakuy Member

I'm trying to do things more natural lately and it's been working. He has been retested 3 times for fiv and felv all negative. They think it's from vaccines.
    If he was an old cat I'd just leave him on western medicine but hes only 2 year fant he suppressed his whole life. He has low platelets right now but I've gotten that down to nearly expert level with the research and my own situations with him I know what level his platelets are at if theyrr too low around 12 thousand he starts getting bleeding under the skin. Chinese medicine stops the internal bleeding issues. But diabetes.... awful. ONLY because I cant home test

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think the UTI is probably what's causing the elevated blood glucose. Plus if the 383 was at the vet, you add vet stress and it's possible that the diabetes is not back at all.

One thing I would NOT do is put him on Prednisilone ….that's a steroid that would push his BG even higher (unless the vet can give you a darned good reason why he's prescribing it)

As long as you are testing for ketones and he's eating well and acting OK, I don't think there's much danger of another DKA..but you must keep testing!

I'd give the antibiotic a few days and test for ketones twice a day (if possible) and then re-test the BG in several days to see if it's coming down.

Have you ever tried blood glucose testing from the paw?

8. Aliciakuy

Aliciakuy Member

I try to feed him wet. I've tried his whole pore. He only eats dr elseys dry sometimes but will go for freeze dried without water or just orijen kibble. He eats when he wants to. He will act starting and I'll give him food and he has to habe the right amount of time or attention to begin eating usually a half hour or hour after its offered. I cant keep it down because my fat cat eats anything in sight. He gets about 10 supplements a day and 3ml of water with each pill. And 2 to 3 if those inaba churu meat squeezers for more hydration. I offer wet in the morning and he licks the juice up. I also give him those broths every day tiki brand

9. Aliciakuy

Aliciakuy Member

They got it from his vein at that vet today too. Didnt want to poke his ears again. They told me about the paw. I'm interested in the paw..

I will keep checking his urine for sure. Even with glucose strips AND ketone strips.

He has been on pred his whole life usually 10mg for his ITP. Been weaning off and got him down to 1mg and stupidly doubled that back to 2.5mg when platelets dropped. Now hes at 2mg and trying to wean even more as I doubt it's doing anything for his ITP anymore since hes been on chinese medicine

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  10. Aliciakuy

Aliciakuy Member

He usually eats overnight that's where he gets most of his calories for the day. He didnt eat over night the last two days but did last night. I give him his "plate o meats" every night but hes getting an extra one today for the back to back awful vet visits he had this morning. He gets freeze dried cod, chickens and salmon with a bunch of water syringed on top that hes devouring. I think I'm going to give him another cypro tonight I gave him one last night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.