Renal glucosuria

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bronx's dad (GA), Oct 2, 2018.

1. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Has anybody heard of this with kitties? Trying to figure out why Bronx is drinking excessively and showing high glucose in the urine, even on trends when his blood sugar is "normal". I want to thank @Christie & Maverick for the link that lead me to this. Here is a description: "Renal glucosuria is glucose in the urine without hyperglycemia; it results from either an acquired or an inherited, isolated defect in glucose transport or occurs with other renal tubule disorders."

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

From your link

I don't remember and don't have time this morning to go looking for it - how are his kidney values on his labs?

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Wow, I just read what Lizzie linked. Interesting and sounds like no treatment is necessary. Do you think it could have been caused by the SRT?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

From what I can tell, if this is truly renal glucosuria/glycosuria, it's a rare genetic disorder. It's considered a benign condition. However, Bronx's numbers are not entirely in the normal range which is necessary for the diagnosis. We try to encourage getting our kitties BG into normal range specifically because if numbers are outside of normal range, glucose is above renal threshold. Fundamentally, diabetes is tough on the kidneys so it's a matter of lowering the risk for kidney disease.

This link on PetMD does suggest that glucose in the urine can be associated with acro and FD.

5. Bronx's dad (GA)

Kidney values look fine but he does always show protein in the urine, besides the glucose. U/S also didn't show anything abnormal, just enlarged from the acro.

6. Bronx's dad (GA)

I did read somewhere about the tumor on the pituitary gland can cause issues like this. So, the SRT should've helped the situation.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  7. Bronx's dad (GA)

Thanks for the link, here are causes. Acro is listed:
    • Systemic disease
    • Diabetes mellitus
    • Overactive adrenal gland (hyperadrenocorticism)
    • Sudden inflammation of the pancreas (acute pancreatitis)
    • Lesions in the central nervous system (brain, spine, etc.)
    • Adrenal gland tumor (pheochromocytoma)
    • Progesterone-associated hyperglycemia
    • Excessive growth hormone (acromegaly)
    • Bacterial infection in the blood (sepsis)
    • Glucagonoma (tumor in the pancreas which secretes glucagon, a hormone which increases blood sugar)
    • Chronic liver failure
    • Etiologic agents such as heavy metal poisons, drugs, and chemicals

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  8. Bronx's dad (GA)

Seems there is no real treatment :(

9. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Paul, FWIW with George it wasn't till he was spending pretty much all his time in blue/green that we saw glucose disappear from his urine. If Bronx's numbers were George's I would expect to see some glucose in his urine. ECID thou.
    I hope you can figure this out.

10. Bronx's dad (GA)

Thanks for chiming in Gill. He did show no glucose in the urine about a year ago after I got his BG under control, so has been troubling to see high urine glucose the last 3 tests while his BG is still decent most of the time. And this excessive drinking started about a month or two ago.

Gill & George likes this.
  11. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope he is not following Titan down the excessive drinking/peeing road. Hopefully he can deal with it and stay in good BG numbers :)

12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Max had glucose in his urine until he was in the greens and very low blues. Then I never saw it on any urinalysis.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Are you testing for urine glucose with Ketodiastix? Or just going by the lab values? Your last lab report is dated 9/6/2018. Looks like the night before and that morning he was in the 300's, so would be spilling sugar in his urine. Neko couldn't have any numbers above 220 in the previous hours before or she would spill sugar in her urine. Remember that it takes a few hours for the sugar in the blood to reach the urine.

For connectitvity, the link to your last post here.

For knowledge nerds, I'm attaching a 2010 paper from the European Journal of Endocrinology on a study of kidneys and acromegaly. The paper is about human acros, but there will still be some commonalities. Although SRT impacts the GH (growth hormone) out, the IGF-1 levels can stay the same. As of the time of the paper, the authors commented that there is little data on kidneys and acromegaly.

Attached Files:

14. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Wish I could help but know nothing but can send :bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Bronx's dad (GA)

Thanks for attaching that paper. I am just going by the lab values. On 5/15, he was trending nice and low and still showed +3 glucose in the urine. What concerns me most is the excessive drinking he started about a month or two ago. Hasn't done this since his BG was stuck in the blacks & reds early on. Vet insists it is due to high BG, but I highly doubt that. Are there other kidney tests that can be done besides the ones done with reg BW?

16. Wendy&Neko

On 5/14, there were no night time tests, so we can't say whether or not he was high then, leading to sugar being spilled into the urine next day when he had the urine taken.

I think you've got the kidney tests covered recently. How much water is he drinking daily? Peeing how many times a day?

17. Bronx's dad (GA)

He is drinking a lot and no idea how much he is when I'm not watching. Peeing about once or twice a day in very large quantities. Just like when he was in the 400-500s. He never went to the water bowl before the FD diagnosis and then stopped when I got him to the pinks and below. He always got his water intake only from wet food and the extra water I put in it. Other than that, he is acting pretty normal.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  18. Wendy&Neko

Try measuring how much water you put in the water bowl, then measure the difference 24 hours later.