Returning due to steroids for IBD causing diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dds35day, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dds35day

Dds35day Member

I am grateful this group. My 16 year old kitty had diabetes for about six month last year and went into remission. She was soon diagnosed with IBD and we just started budesnide two days ago. If you have an IBD kitty who has diabetes I would be grateful to you for your experience. How soon after starting the steroids should I look for diabetes? Does steroid induced diabetes bring higher bg numbers than she had before. Her top.bg was about 280 and I'm concerned the steroids will bring much high bg levels. I never was able to test her at home but will need to learn. My kitty runs away immediately after I stab her before I can dab the strip. I am very sorry for going on and on. Does anyone have a kitty on budesnide who did not get back into diabetes? I would be very grateful for any information or suggestions. She is my family. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My diabetic kitty went on budesonide for IBD/SCL, we couldn’t diagnose due to her heart condition. Anyway, it did not impact her blood sugar. Budesonide is locally acting so less impact than prednisolone.

You might want to post this question in Feline Health to hear other people’s experiences. I have heard of some who saw BG impact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.