Returning user

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ellspeth, Apr 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellspeth

Ellspeth New Member

I came here about a year ago with my newly diagnosed cat at home and new fears that a diabetic cat would be impossible to manage. With your advice and a great vet, my cat went into remission after changing to Fancy Feast wet food and a RX dry food to bring down his hypercalcemia. We had almost a full year of bliss where I had my fluffy, fun loving, happy cat back.

A week ago I started noticing a mild increase in water consumption. I was out of town over last weekend, and when I returned after less than 48 hours I found a nearly bone dry water dish and a pretty heavy litter box. Both had been freshened before I left. He has also started meowing nearly non-stop, but in better news he is still jumping up on the bed, snuggling, and eating and drinking.

On a hunch I went looking for fresh diabetic testing supplies, and spent WAY too much at Walgreens to get test strips and lancets. The BG curve I started last night shows my sweet guy varying between 280-320.

I've made an appt with a vet for tomorrow morning. I am so sad that my little man is suffering, and frustrated because I thought we had dodged this bullet. He had a full exam mid-January and was in such good health we were encouraged to skip 6-mos exams and go back to annual wellness exams.

I am in a new town and have no one local to help me, and I have an out of town wedding next week and another trip the end of May. How do all of you handle vacations and trips? Is insulin generally given AM and PM? Daily?

2. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry your cat has fallen out of remission. I wonder if the stress of moving had anything to do with it? I hope you vet can pinpoint a reason.

Being in a new town will make finding a cat sitter harder, but not impossible. Unfortunately, having someone stop twice a day will not be free.

When you visit the vet tomorrow, ask him if he knows of a pet sitter qualified to test and give shots. Some vet techs will take care of pets in the home - I had a vet tech from my vet's office come twice a day to test and shoot insulin, as well as the usual cat sitting stuff. Other ideas are searching for a certified pet sitter in your area, seeing if any of your new friends might help and be willing to learn testing and shooting. Some people take their cats with them if they are driving.

You might want to post your town on the forum to see if there are any members in your town. They may be able to make some suggestions. Post on the Health Forum, it gets the most traffic.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome back, although I'm sorry to hear that your little fella may be falling out of remission. He is such a beautiful cat!!

Mogs

4. LindyKindy

LindyKindy Member

Hi Ellspeth, I had the same thing happen to my Gryff a couple of months ago. After about 6 weeks of insulin, he is otj again. I have read about cats going in/out of remission. So, like you, I am always looking at his water consumption, etc.

He started Lantus last fall and went in remission after a month. This forum saved him and my sanity for sure.

My daughter goes to USD, finishing up her 2nd year. She has tested and helped me taking care of my cat. She may be able to help cat sit while you are away. She LOVES cats so much and misses them while away at school. She has me take pictures of them daily to send her! lol.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.